TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
razorgeography

Default No Brake lights or turn signal

I have running lights but no brake on truning lights- checked all connections- is there a fuse box for the brakes? Do you have to have the battry hooked up to have these working?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
rumbleweed

We need a little more information. What is your TV. Many vehicles designed with towing in mind have a separate fuse for the trailer lighting. My Silverado has separate fuses for all the trailer connections. Check your owners manual. Note the trailer fuses may not be in the same fuse block as the TV lighting fuses. By running lights I assume the bulb in the tail lights used for running lights works as well as the side markers.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

To expand a little bit, the TM does not have fuses for any of the exterior lights. The power for these lights comes from the tow vehicle, and the fuses for those lights are also in the tow vehicle, as Bob described. Since they are powered by the tow vehicle, the status of the TM battery doesn't matter.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

We had a similar experience with NO lights. Everything checked out ok, but the contacts on the TowVehicle had to be 'cleaned' with a slim line of emery paper. Solved everything. Good luck. Olga and Ken
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default tail lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorgeography View Post
I have running lights but no brake on truning lights- checked all connections- is there a fuse box for the brakes? Do you have to have the battry hooked up to have these working?
Had this problem with our new 2011, 2720SL about 200 miles down the road. Turned out to be the butt connectors under the refrig were not crimped properly from the factory.
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Brutus

Razor,
my standard procedure in this situation is to check for brake/turn light power coming out of the TV and work my way back. Take a 12V tester and check for brake and turning light power at the 7-prong connector of the TV. Make sure tester has a good ground or you won't get anything coming out of the TV. You know you have a good ground when the taillight prong lights up (when you actually turn on the TV taillights of course). If nothing there, it's most likely a fuse (or two) in the TV. TV's owner's manual will show where they are. If you do have everything coming out of the TV, clean the TM and TV contacts with emery paper or steel wool. Then hook up the TM and check for brake and turn lights just behind the connection (on the TM side). Gotta take the TM's 7-prong connector sheath off to expose the wires and poke the proper wires with a tester for this part. If no brake or turn light power at that point, you've isolated the problem area. If power tests ok behind the TM's 7-prong connector, "walk it back" and test the brake/turn lights at each bulb. Normally, a burnt-out bulb or bad taillight assembly only occurs on one side though. Mostly likely it's a TV fuse or two. If not, there's a lot of info on the internet about trailer wiring troubleshooting.

Edit: Oops, just saw this is a four month old thread and Razor was a trial member. Oh well....