TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2023, 04:59 AM   #1
TammyandTony

Default Gladiator as tow vehicle

I'm curious if anyone is towing with a Jeep Gladiator.
I have a Tundra at the moment and it is effortless, but needs replacing.

I have a 2720SL with A/C.

Tony
2021 Jeep Gladiator
TammyandTony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 05:45 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Not surprisingly, the capability of the Gladiator depends on how you equip it. Which Gladiator configuration are you thinking about? Your first step should be obvious - go to the Jeep web site, check out the equipment options, and check out the towing specs for the various configurations. My quick check suggests that the bare bones Gladiator will tow 4000 pounds - not really adequate. By opting for an automatic instead of a manual transmission, the rating is increased to 4500 pounds, still not really adequate. The next step up gets you to 6500 pounds, which would be a great choice. You can go for an even higher rating, but there is no need.

You also might check out the tow rating of your specific Tundra and its equipment configuration. This would provide at least one basis of comparison.

Let us know what you find, and what you decide.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 07:14 AM   #3
TammyandTony

Bill,
Thanks for checking.
I came to the same conclusions as you; would only do it with the 'max tow' package (6500 lbs).

I am hoping for some real world experience.

My Tundra with 5.7L V8 is rated for 10K+, I was never concerned about its capability.

A smaller V6 merits more investigation, and manufacturers recommendations/ratings are only the start.
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Old 06-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyandTony View Post
Bill,
Thanks for checking.
I came to the same conclusions as you; would only do it with the 'max tow' package (6500 lbs).

I am hoping for some real world experience.

My Tundra with 5.7L V8 is rated for 10K+, I was never concerned about its capability.

A smaller V6 merits more investigation, and manufacturers recommendations/ratings are only the start.
HP shouldn't be the deciding factor. Stopping power is the most important aspect of any tow vehicle and the hardest to determine. Wheel base is an important attribute as well. Longer WB is better.

For example, I bought a Honda Ridgeline because it has a 5,000# tow rating. It was fine on power. Fuel economy was a bit of a disappointment but stopping power proved to be the straw that broke the camel's back. The problem was that the vehicle was just too light to provide enough weight to the ground while going down a grade and had to stop short. The Ridgeline couldn't resist the weight of the trailer push. It wasn't about trailer brakes, tires or lack of WDH either. I installed new trailer brakes, tires and Anderson WDH about 300 miles prior and readjusted and tested the brakes just before that trip.

I now tow with a Silverado 1500 4x4 and stopping is a non-issue. BTW. I put new BFG All Terrain tires (and new brakes) on both (tow)vehicles.

BTW....... the Jeep Gladiator (automatic with tow package) is a great TV for the TM, IMO.
Old 06-13-2023, 05:24 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
HP shouldn't be the deciding factor. Stopping power is the most important aspect of any tow vehicle and the hardest to determine.
Wavery -

You are right, of course. Horsepower is not the only thing to consider. These days, there is a formal definition of tow rating, and an exhaustive proof test, known as SAE spec J2807. All manufacturers use it, and all the definitions and vehicle configurations used in the proof tests are tightly controlled. A manufacturer cannot claim or advertise a tow rating number until his vehicle has passed the J2807 test at the proposed rating.

J2807 concentrates on a grueling 11-mile uphill run on a road called the Davis Dam road in Arizona, which of course involves horsepower, as well as torque, engine and transmission cooling, speed, acceleration, and all the other things we tend to think of as the muscle part of towing. But less known is that J2807 also has a braking section. In other words, a manufacturer cannot claim a tow rating of, say, 5000 pounds until his vehicle has passed both the Davis Dam road test and the braking part off the test, with a 5000 pound trailer.

At 27 pages, J2807 is fascinating reading, readily available from any number of sources. Just Google it, and enjoy.

Bill
Old 06-13-2023, 06:17 AM   #6
TammyandTony

Bill, Wavery,
All good information, thanks.

Interesting comment about the Ridgeline; that is also on my short list.
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Old 06-13-2023, 10:26 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
I now tow with a Silverado 1500 4x4 and stopping is a non-issue. BTW. I put new BFG All Terrain tires (and new brakes) on both vehicles.
Wavery -

Do I understand that you are running All Terrain tires (not trailer tires) on your TM? I must have missed that. Or were you referring to the Ridgeline? If the TM, fill me in, please. Size, pressure, miles traveled to date, your overall experience and satisfaction, and so forth.

I never quite understood why ST tires exist. I've seen a lot of kinda mush-mouthed explanations, but nothing that made me sit up and say "Aha! So that's it!"

Bill
Old 06-13-2023, 07:34 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wavery -

Do I understand that you are running All Terrain tires (not trailer tires) on your TM? I must have missed that. Or were you referring to the Ridgeline? If the TM, fill me in, please. Size, pressure, miles traveled to date, your overall experience and satisfaction, and so forth.

I never quite understood why ST tires exist. I've seen a lot of kinda mush-mouthed explanations, but nothing that made me sit up and say "Aha! So that's it!"

Bill
Sorry ifs I wasn't clear. I run BFG All Terrain Tires on any truck that I own.

I run Maxxis M8008 tires on my trailers. I used to run weight rating "E" but Maxxis has designed a weight rating "D" that has a weight rating of 2535# and is quite a bit lighter.

I'm not a fan of all terrain tires on a trailer. Trailer tires are not "Drive wheels". They simply follow along where ever they are dragged. The advantage of all terrain tires is better " Drive Traction" in dirt and mud. Trailer tires don't care about drive traction. All terrain tires are very heavy.

The other issue on the TM is the clearance between the tire and the wheel well. All terrain tires ten to have thicker tread.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
mvp8500

Default Towing with a Gladiator.

Hello, we have a Galdiator that we use to tow our 2619 through the San Juan Mountains in Colorado almost every other weekend. Very capable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	22233   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230609_205925.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	22234  
mvp8500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:31 AM   #10
TammyandTony

Default A few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp8500 View Post
Hello, we have a Galdiator that we use to tow our 2619 through the San Juan Mountains in Volorado almost every other weekend. Very capable. All I did was add airlift bags to the rear springs and works great!
Great to know - thanks. 2619 should be similar to my 2720.

Which Gladiator model do you have?

Weight distributing hitch?

Why did you feel the need for adding the airlift bags?

Appreciate the info.
2021 Jeep Gladiator