TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
BannedUsers

Default Installation instruction on the Jefa tech wifi repeater power.

I am trying to permanently install the repeater in the forward cabinets above the bed on a 2006 2720. what I plan to do si install the wifi antenna to the batwing antenna on the roof of the RV and then run a coax cable that came with the kit to the cabinets by drilling a hole through the roof using a bulkhead for a water tight seal. once the wire is in I can then connect it to the back of the repeater. easier said than done. I have several challenges to meet. For now I just need to know how others have connected thier repeaters to a permanent power supply? the repeated comes with a plug in connection. I contacted the company and they said the following:

The repeater unit hardware requires 12VDC power to operate which makes this an easy modification. The AC power supply that is included with your repeater unit is converting 120VAC to 12VDC. The power on the thin black cable going from the power adapter to the repeater unit is 12VDC. The easiest way to directly power the repeater unit with 12VDC is to just cut off the AC power adapter and then connect the wire directly to a 12VDC power source. Leave yourself a few inches of cable attached to the power supply in case you want to re-splice back into the AC power adapter at a later time.

Once you have cut the wire, notice that it is two wires fused together. The wire with the white "dots" or "stripes" is the 12V+ wire. The solid black wire (it may have writing on it, but not the stripes) is the 12V- wire. Do not connect these backwards! The repeater unit does not have a fuse or any protection against a reverse polarity 12V connection. For testing purposes, the center of the power plug is 12V+ and the outer ring is 12V-. As with any 12VDC application, a fuse is recommended. A 1 AMP fuse is recommended on the 12V+DC line.

I checked inside this cabinet and clearly see wireing going to the interior light under the cabinet and also see the wireing going to the exterior running light on the side... question is can I splice a connection to one set of those wires with the description they gave me 12VDC power source...??? I think the running light is 12VDC but I'm not sure with the under cabinet light??? is it 12 VDC also? If for example i splice it to the light under the cabinet which is closest to the repeater will I then need to turn the light switch to get power to the repeater at night? this would obviously disturb the kiddos if the wife wants to use the internet after hours and they are asleep. Please advise. thanks
062720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Do you feel confident that you can do this yourself? Your may only get one chance to get it right. If you happen reverse wire the polarity it will most likely smoke your repeater.

After those words of caution:

Running lights will not be a usable source since they are only on when your TV supplies the 12v.

I don't know if the wires to the light are switched or not but should be easy enough to use a voltmeter to find out (if you know how to use the meter??).

Whatever you decide to do, be careful! good luck with it.

Tim
Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tim is exactly right about tapping into the power to the outside running light. Don't do it, since your repeater won't work unless the TM's running lights are on - and they are powered through the headlight switch in the tow vehicle.

The power to the front reading lights is a much better choice. The lights themselves do not have to be on, but remember that there is a second light switch in the frame of one of the vents (many new owners miss this one). This switch WILL have to be on.

I agree 100% with Tim that you probably shouldn't undertake this unless you are confident of your ability. Meaning no disrespect, it doesn't sound like you are, so use great caution if you decide to proceed. The JEFA system is great, but expensive (I have one). If you smoke the repeater - and it would take only a momentary wrong connection to do it - then you will not be a happy camper. As Tim suggested, you really should have a multi-meter, and know how to use it.

I asked JEFATech the same question about alternate power, since I won't always have AC power when boondocking, and I don't want to use an inverter. They gave me the same answer as they gave you, and I am completely happy with that answer. BUT there is an alternative to hard-wiring to the 12-VDC source. I was wandering around an old radio flea market a month ago, and I ran across an adapter cord with a 12-volt cigarette-lighter plug on one end, and a plug that matches the repeater on the other. COOL! Now I can put the repeater's AC power supply back in the box, and use the new cord instead. I am sure you can find this cord online - I will help you if it meets your needs.

This cord won't do you much good if you put the repeater in the cabinet above the couch. I am considering putting mine in the space above the refrig, next to the radio, and running the cord out through a small hole so I can plug it into the existing cig receptacle next to the refrig.

Just a thought.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repeater cord .JPG
Views:	39
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6921  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

adapter cord with a 12-volt cigarette-lighter plug on one end, and a plug that matches the repeater on the other.

Exactly what I was about to suggest. There is even a 12v plug in the TM for what most campers used as the source for the Television next to the tv coaxial cable fitting.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I was wandering around an old radio flea market a month ago, and I ran across an adapter cord with a 12-volt cigarette-lighter plug on one end, and a plug that matches the repeater on the other. COOL!
Is the polarity standard on those plugs? I seem to recall the center typically being positive, but I'm not sure that's universal.

Also, while most of these sorts of adapters output 12v, I have seen some on occasion that are not. I know I have one that only outputs 4.5v. It looks more or less just like the one Bill pictured, so obviously there is some circuitry inside. But since it's highly unlikely that, if it's not 12v, it's not higher than 12v, the risk of damage is probably not high. Worst case is that is just wouldn't fire up the repeater.

062720 - both of these potential issues can easily be identified with a multimeter, but of course you need to know how to use one. It's not hard, but as mentioned above, the consequences of getting it wrong could trash your repeater. But if you figured it out, you could buy an adapter like Bill found and check it. (You could also easily make one if you knew how to solder.)

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
.................snip................... if it's not 12v, it's not higher than 12v, the risk of damage is probably not high. Worst case is that is just wouldn't fire up the repeater..................snip

Dave
Unless it something like this for a lap top

http://www.bixnet.com/12vdcto19vdc.html

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
BannedUsers

thanks for all of the concern... I hooked it up this afternoon befor checking the thread as I just needed to get it done and ended up frying the repeater.... Just kidding. hooked it up to the under cabinet light and worked like a charm. tomorrow I'm going to pick up a 1 amp fuse at the auto parts and hook that up to the positive line for extra safety as they recommend.
062720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 062720 View Post
thanks for all of the concern... I hooked it up this afternoon befor checking the thread as I just needed to get it done and ended up frying the repeater.... Just kidding.
Good one!
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote