TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2002, 06:59 AM   #1
hal

Default Wheel Wells and Tire Failure

At our latest camp out  the Mile High TrailBlazers took on a project of retrofitting our wheel wells.  It is no secret to most owners of TrailManors, that there are far too many tire failures with the several types of recreational vehicles.  Tire failure is somewhat common with the TrailManor.  There are many causes of tire failure amongwhich are improper tire pressure, the brand and class of tire used  and overloading the trailer.  Many rvs have already reached the maximum weight before a single shoe lace, pillow case or piece of bread is placed in them.  If you envy the many doors that line the “basement” area of the huge Rvs, think again.  It is my understanding that many are already overweight, without even allowing fresh air go fill those cavities.  

Now, back to the retrofitting our wheel wells.  At our campout we were able to apply the principles of the Wetherbee Wheel Well as a project to seven of our TrailManors.  Many of our members had already made the retrofit.  This system requires the relining of the wheel well with flashing metal and hardened foam, thus converting flat ends of the square box to a cavity in which the ends are curved to match the curve of the tires.  This retrofit will not prevent tire blow outs.  It is not even guaranteed  to prevent the damage done when the tire fails and a strip of hard rubber beats its way through a wheel well and begins to rip the side and plumbing out of your trailer.  Just like having insurance does not protect one from an accident,  it does give a sense of security.  Our faith in this retrofit comes from those who have applied it and then some time later experienced a tire failure.  Instead of tremendous damage,  in many cases only a few black marks have resulted.  

My purpose in presenting this information is to bring it to your mind.  Evaluate the procedure for your own conclusion.  It takes about two hours (one hour per fender) to retrofit.  The plans that I used for my 2720 were direct from the person who devised it.  All went well in the installation.  For a total cost of about $25.00, it brings a great deal of comfort to me knowing I am not going to see my trailer totaled by a  blow-out.  As a word of warning, in the seven trailers that our group worked on, there were no two trailers in which the wheel wells were identical.   There were a variety of differences, such as in the length of the wheel well or in obstructions, such as drains that were routed through them.   If you begin this project, please be sure to adust for these differences.  The dimensions in the directions that were given to me were correct for my trailer.  The originator of this design must have had wells of the same length as mine  (29 1/2”)  It is suggested that wheel wells that are longer than this  may require  a longer piece of flashing. I would guess that a good formula would be to begin with the recommended 48” strip of flashing (for trailers with 29 “ wheel wells) and add to its length according to the additional length above the 29”.  Members in our group were advised to purchase three cans of spray foam one for each wheel well and one in case of emergency.All went according to plan as everyone used one can per wheel well.  They all saved their receipt  and will return the third unused can to the store from which they purchased it.  Those of us who have had their wheels retrofitted in this manner feel we have made an effect on the results should our tires fail.  Possibly time and tire failure will prove us right or wrong.

Hal