TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
kevinarthur

Default First trip wheel well leak drivers side on 3023

Any idea why the wheel well on the drivers side keeps dripping? I think it was dripping before I hooked up the water, the fridge ran all night and day.

Thanks for any insight....we are getting the hang of this.

One problem on first trip setup...is everyone stares at you because you have a trailer like no other...definitely not good for those with stage fright.

We went through part of Colorado and a lot of New Mexico today, as expected no sightings of other TMs...someday maybe.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Check your low point drains? There are four on the driver's side. If it started dripping when you hooked up to water, there is a chance one is not fully closed.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
kevinarthur

How do I get to them?

I really haven't a clue.

Thanks,

Kev
Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As Bill says, there are four low point drains, all of them under the trailer on the driver's side. Two of them are just in front of the driver's side wheel. One of these drains the fresh water storage tank; the other is the drain for the high side of the pressurized water system. The other two drains are back by the waste dump plumbing. These drain the hot and cold water systems respectively, at the far end of the plumbing system back by the bathroom.

You can see a plumbing diagram, including the low point drains, here.
http://tmphotos.org/modules/xoopsgal...?g2_itemId=176

The purpose of the low point drains is to enable you to completely drain the TM plumbing system, making winterizing much simpler than in any other trailer. No water heater bypass is needed, for example.

If one of these drains is open just a bit, water will seep out. The dealer probably put some water in the fresh water tank, so that is probably what you are seeing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Have the exact same dripping you are talking about. We were told when we first bought it that it was due to something about the hot water heater venting? They said it was supposed to do that and was not a defect. No one ever came up with a better explanation and it is still there with no ill effect.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I wouldn't think constant dripping is normal. Sounds like they were talking about the hot water heater relief valve, but that should not leak constantly.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If the water heater seeps while you are moving, it means you are heating water while you are moving, which means you are running propane while you are moving. That's generally considered a no-no, for safety reasons. It has been discussed here on the board a few times - you could look it up. On the other hand, if it seeps in a campground after the cool water has heated up, that's a different story, of course. But you said there is seepage even when you haven't put any water in the system?

You need to find the source of the water, and it should be easy to do. Open the cabinets in the leak area, and look around for water on the floor. Is it coming from the under-sink plumbing, or maybe from the fresh water tank? Open the water heater panel (outside), and look for water on the floor of the compartment. Maybe even position a cup under the vent tube and see if it catches anything

I personally would not allow the situation to continue. Although TMs no longer have wood in the shells, I believe that the perimeter of the floor is still wood-framed. You really don't want this wood to be exposed to constant seepage from above.

If the water is coming from the TPR (temperature/pressure relief) valve, the first step is to pressurize the system and fill the water heater, then manually open the valve by lifting the lever. Water will blast out all over your clothes, and if there is any grit caught in the valve seal, it will be washed out. Snap the valve on and off several times, just to be sure. If this doesn't fix the situation, replace the valve. I believe that the TPR valve is a standard unit, available from any hardware store. It is easy to change out if you have a monkey wrench or a big crescent wrench. Take the old one to the store with you, and buy the same size and temperature rating.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
retiredgoat

Default Bathroom Sink

I had the same thing happen, so I looked hi and low and found an fitting on the bathroom sink facet leaking and then it went forward just enough to make it seem like it was coming from another place.

So the moral of the my story is look every where for water leaks and oh ya use paper towels to wipe down areas you can't see easily it works great.

Good luck

Bob R