TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2023, 09:32 AM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjburton View Post
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.
I'll have to see if it will fit, but I'm doubtful. That refrigerant line sits quite a bit above the compressor. Also, mounting to the cylindrical shape wouldn't give much surface area for the VHB tape to stick. Worth a look though. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
I just had another thought...... (scary)......

Could you just mount it on the roof, next to the A/C? It appears to be water tight. If not, you could come up with an electrical box that you could put over it and calk it to the roof.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:50 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The box label appears to say WANGNING Soft Start for RV A/Cs, and I see this item on Amazon, along with your review.

Like Wavery, I thought of mounting it outside the A/C housing, and I was looking for info on waterproof-ness. Didn't find any. Since it is intended to be mounted within the open structure of the A/C, protected only by the shroud, it is probably designed to be OK if it gets wet. I might consider a protective box anyway - but I am a belt-and-suspenders guy.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:20 PM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The box label appears to say WANGNING Soft Start for RV A/Cs, and I see this item on Amazon, along with your review.

Like Wavery, I thought of mounting it outside the A/C housing, and I was looking for info on waterproof-ness. Didn't find any. Since it is intended to be mounted within the open structure of the A/C, protected only by the shroud, it is probably designed to be OK if it gets wet. I might consider a protective box anyway - but I am a belt-and-suspenders guy.

Bill
Another use for 3M VHB tape. That way, no holes in the roof.

BTW...... When you are towing in the rain, everything under that shroud gets drenched with water.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:38 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
BTW...... When you are towing in the rain, everything under that shroud gets drenched with water.
That was exactly my point. The box - or at least the wire entry - doesn't look all that waterproof to me, and I was looking for some assurance. Found none. But it must be waterproof, for the reason you state. And beyond that, if the box was mounted on the roof behind the A/C, rather than alongside, the shroud would protect it and the wires from any sand/rocks/crud thrown up from the road.

It's been a long time since I was inside the A/C. Is there really no place anywhere within the shroud, big enough to hold the box?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 02:42 PM   #15
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
"the shroud would protect it and the wires from any sand/rocks/crud thrown up from the road."....... where the hell do you tow Bill?

------------------------------

"It's been a long time since I was inside the A/C. Is there really no place anywhere within the shroud, big enough to hold the box?"

I haven't been inside the low-profile A/C unit yet. All my other TMs had the regular Coleman A/C unit and it has plenty of room.

Bill
Old 06-25-2023, 04:28 PM   #16
benjburton

A lot of great suggestions. However, for my sanity, which would have me wondering if it's going to get wet, or if I installed it well enough to hold, and not putting holes in my roof and dealing with more things to caulk, I think I'd rather buy a more compact one even if it cost more.
It does appear very water tight. The only thing I've read is that you should install with wires pointing down to keep water from possibly running down the wires into the unit.
Unfortunately, my low profile a/c really has nowhere else to mount this thing. It really is very tight in there.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:42 PM   #17
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjburton View Post
A lot of great suggestions. However, for my sanity, which would have me wondering if it's going to get wet, or if I installed it well enough to hold, and not putting holes in my roof and dealing with more things to caulk, I think I'd rather buy a more compact one even if it cost more.
It does appear very water tight. The only thing I've read is that you should install with wires pointing down to keep water from possibly running down the wires into the unit.
Unfortunately, my low profile a/c really has nowhere else to mount this thing. It really is very tight in there.

These boxes are made for exactly what you want to do and trust me..... 3M VHB double sided tape is far stronger than screwing it down to the roof. I (and many others) have my solar panels attached to the roof with that tape and never heard of an issue. If you ever want to remove the box, you simply slide a razor knife under the box, slicing the tape. The residue comes off with a plastic razor blade without scratching the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Zulkit-Dustpr...1zcF9tdGY&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3655.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	5.46 MB
ID:	22260  
Old 06-27-2023, 12:46 PM   #18
lindees1

Talking Check RVTravel.com

If you check on RVTravel.com - just search Soft Start - you'll find a link (I think) to Soft Start and if you're a member of RVTravel.com you might get a discount on the small version! I don't think it has to be mounted anywhere near your A/C - but, at 75, my memory is might faulty!

Good luck and please, post any results here for the rest of us!

Thank you.
lindees1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:50 PM   #19
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindees1 View Post
If you check on RVTravel.com - just search Soft Start - you'll find a link (I think) to Soft Start and if you're a member of RVTravel.com you might get a discount on the small version! I don't think it has to be mounted anywhere near your A/C - but, at 75, my memory is might faulty!

Good luck and please, post any results here for the rest of us!

Thank you.
Good point. I think that thing just needs to be in the line between the A/C unit and the circuit breaker in the converter.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #20
benjburton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Good point. I think that thing just needs to be in the line between the A/C unit and the circuit breaker in the converter.
Yes, here's something I saw recently that kind of blew my mind. It's pricey at $600, but about as simple as you can get. How they can make this work with a simple plug in-line with your shore power vs. all the wiring inside your a/c unit, is hard to make sense of to me.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...rtup-rvt-1060/

There's some great suggestions here that would definitely work, but I've decided to forego the installation of this unit. If anyone is interested in this unit, I'll ship it to you for $100. I only pulled it out of the box and tested fit as shown in the photos throughout this thread. PM me if you're interested. Here's where I got it from on Amazon where it sells for $199.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1