TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-2017, 06:09 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
I see that the flame is blue within 1/8" of the burner, but then is more orange. Should the entire flame be blue?
If the tip of the flame is orange or yellow, it indicates that there is not quite enough air. The yellow tip will tend to make soot - not good. At the other end of the scale, if there is too much air, the flame will be blue and will make a roaring sound. The ideal is in the middle - all blue, but no roar. Or as close as you can get it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #12
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

That's what I was thinking. I guess it's time to remove and clean the burner. Iwonder how easy it is to remove the "chimney" to clean the boiler part of the fridge? I imagine if soot has been allowed to accumulate over time the efficiency would be severely affected.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #13
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Larryjb,

I have spent considerable time troubleshooting my Norcold 3-way refrigerator on propane mode. The process involved replacing the thermocouple, the thermocouple interrupter, the red and blue wires connectiong the interrupter with the selector switch, removing and cleaning the burner (I have a new one on order), removing the selector switch back cover and cleaning/lubing all contacts, and removing (and reinstalling) the unit 3 different times. All the parts I replaced tested (minivolt/amp tester) marginal hence the reason they were replaced. At the time I opted to clean the burner slots and continue using it as long as possible. The Norcold models operate in propane mode without any additional outside power whereas the Dometic units need a DC source (CORRECTION - only certain models require DC power to operate on propane, the ones with auto ignition). Additionally, at least on the Norcold models, it is possible to control the size of the flame thereby controlling (to some extent) the cooling temperature. Turning the temperature selector to 5 produces a larger flame while selecting 1 reduces the flame size. To be sure, the flame is never much larger than a typical gas pilot.

Your Dometic unit looks to be a bit simpler to work on. I have no experience with Dometic refrigerators but have done a bit of research. You are correct in assuming the flame should be completely blue - no yellow/orange color at any point. The cause of the yellow flame, in most cases, is a dirty burner or a burner that has enough rust to change the size of the slots. I would suggest you replace the burner before replacing other parts. The "chimney" may be difficult to remove. I would try the method suggested in this You Tube Video first: It also gives a nice explanation of how to deal with the burner.

I hope some of the above is helpful and lets you resolve the burner flame issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #14
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Thanks Dick,

The burner is definitely on my list of things to clean or repair. I came across the following site which contains some useful information.

https://www.arprv.com/dometic-fridge-flame.php

I can tell you my flame looks nothing like the flame shown on the web site referenced. I can also say that I now know my igniter is too far in the flame instead of beside the flame. The site also recommends cleaning the flue.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #15
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Larry,

That link does provide useful information about the flame, igniter and thermocouple. Too bad it doesn't address how to clean the flue. Maybe there is a "mini" chimney brush with some type of extension "mini pole" that will let you run the small brush up and down the chimney, much like a chimney sweep would use.

Dick
Albums
Old 10-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Dick,

I'm dealing with the flu right now, before I can deal with the flue.

However, so far as I can tell, there is a baffle at the bottom of the flue, but I have not seen any picture or diagram that shows it. I have seen a description of cleaning the flue from above, but I'm not sure if I'm able to get to it from above. Another site described using compressed air.

I should add that the pdf attachment above is for an old Dometic model, even older than mine. Mine is the RM2333. However, the basic principals of absorption refridgeration are still the same, and the basic design is probably very similar. I was surprised to hear that the Dometic still requires electricity to function. I'll have to try it with the battery disconnected to find out. It may be that certain models, such as the automatic igniters, need electricity. It's also possible that the thermostatic control requires 12V to adjust the gas flow for the flame height. I'll try these out sometime, as I am really curious.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 10-12-2017, 05:50 AM   #17
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Larry,

You are correct, it appears your model Dometic does not require DC power to operate on gas mode. The units that require DC power to run on propane seem to be the ones with auto ignite. Should the flame blow out the control box would sense the loss of flame and activate the igniter, relighting the burner. I see your unit (RM2333) manual does not show or indicate the presence of an auto igniter. I assume you do not have a control box attached to the back, bottom left side of your unit.

You may have to remove the refrigerator in order to clean the flue though.

I did find this pdf manual for your unit: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/rm2333.pdf There is a section dealing with cleaning the flue and a drawing of the flue baffle.

Dick
Albums
Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #18
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Thank you Dick! I'd been looking for such a manual.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #19
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

If you copy and paste just part of Dick's link,

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/

You will find a gold mine of manuals that would be helpful for many of the other appliances found in various years of the TM. I gather the owner of the site has had some trouble with a few people copying his pdfs and selling them on ebay. So, I'm not sure how long he'll maintain this page. I believe he's taken steps to prevent such theft.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 03-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #20
apache3100

This is for anyone happening upon this post well after the fact. I strongly suggest you clean everything in the refer igniter area whenever you service or troubleshoot. you are already there and the system will love you for it. you want to clean and inspect the burner (and likely replace it), thermocoupler, igniter and clean the flue tube. Get your model number and serial number from inside the fridge when you order parts.
apache3100 is offline   Reply With Quote