TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We lived in Alaska for a number of years and towed our 2619 back up in June of 05 so have experienced a few miles of their gravel roads. I would suggest nothing short of "hard-surface" protection close to and across the entire front shell. Thin, soft material may prevent most of the paint chips but TM aluminum dents pretty easily. Large mud flaps help but gravel bounces under and around them and the faster you are driving the more likely it is to dent/chip your aluminum. Even the front fiberglass rock shield will record vitually every rock that hits it if you are traveling at hwy speeds.

I might mention that I've read oncoming traffic doesn't actually throw rocks at you. They just throw them up in the air and you run into them -- much like the rocks kids drop on cars from hwy overpasses. Slowing for oncoming trucks can help if traffic permits.

And watch for moose and other large animals crossing the road. Moose make bigger dents than the gravel :-).
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #12
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
. . .

SurfaceShields.com - Transit shield - No prices given . . .

Bill
Bill,

Latest RV Summer Accessories catalogue from our TM dealer lists the Transit Shield at $59.99 Not listed is the amount/size of the product.

http://www.rvlifestyles.net/ItemPage...2-10b8a684e2cf

I checked the Surface Shield Web site and it lists the Transit Shield size at 36" x 32' - 3ml Clear

http://www.surfaceshields.com/auto.php#Transit_Shield

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

So if rocks go under mud flaps, what about something that drops all the way to the ground of the TV, like this:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=1449&src=SRQB

or this:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=1848&src=SRQB

I tow on a fair number of dirt roads, and quickly discovered that on roads with any decent sized gravel, we have to travel VERY slow (like 10-15 MPH) to avoid rocks being tossed up on the TM. When you have a 15 mile dirt road, that can really slow you down, but it's better than a bunch of dings on the TM.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

You have to remember that the trailer is wider than the TV so nothing you do on the TV that doesn't stick out each side is going to protect the entire front of the trailer. Also, I've noticed that the hanging, brush-like things shown in one picture above just flap in the wind and I couldn't see that they provide any protection at all. Flexible mud flaps are also bent back by the wind, possibly at the perfect angle so gravel hits them and bounces down and then back up to hit the trailer. Slowing down, as suggested, would likely minimize this.

Rigid mud flaps like Bill and some others have installed on their TMs to protect the plumbing would likely work better. Strangely enough, I didn't find gravel to be nearly the problem when we were towing with the Odyssey minivan because it was closer to the ground. The TM front frame took some hits but apparently most of the rocks went under the trailer.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I was over on RVPICS.COM and some one just installed these rock tamers on their vehicle. The look good and at the Cabelas site they have mostly good reviews. They are pricey though at 199.95.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0054018523066a.shtml?

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #16
SCBillandJane

In reading on a full timer forum where they were towing cars behind motor homes, some recommended not to have the full width mud flaps because they deflected the gravel down and bounced it back up to hit the car. Has anyone seen something that might be attached under the tongue of the trailer as a sheild to rocks bouncing up?
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #17
retiredgoat

Default Heres an idea

It's for towing a car behind an RV but you could make something up yourself and be happy and keep some money.

Here's the link: http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pro...d/219/pid/3986

Hope this helps.

Bob R
Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

That's an interesting concept. One conceivably bolt a piece of painted plywood under the tongue to obtain the same protection. And it could be mounted low enough to slide under the TV.....

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #19
BluToy

Has anyone concidered white shelf paper. It is just tackey enough to stick but not so stickey as to not come off with ease even after a 5000 mile trip. I double the layer and see no trouble with 3 layers for that Alaska trip. I start at the first seam that runs across the top and then pull it down and cut it off leaving just enough to lip the bottom. I over lap each piece maybe an in. When I get to the awning I just lip the bottom. That way it is still usable. It takes all of 5 min. The paper I use I get at Wal Mart. Its cheap and it closely matches the color of my TM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Front of TM around window

I was cleaning my TM today and for the first time realized that the finish of the front surface surrounding the window and below the molding that separates it from the roof is a different material from the rest of the TM. The surface has a grainy feature, sort of like leather, maybe. I am the first owner and I did not put any protective surface on this area. Has anyone else noticed this? I have some small dents elsewhere on the trailer, but not in this area.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote