TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2002, 03:21 AM   #11
Bruce

Default Re: Need more tips and tricks!

It is much safer to mount heavy items like batteries ahead of the axle rather than behind it. Putting a lot of weight at the rear will negativly effect the handling.
 Solar panels will definitly do more than trickle charge the batteries unless you choose a solar trickle charger. Ask anyone you see at a campground with roof mounted solar panels how they like their solar setup. There are thousands of satisfied solar powered boondockers.

Bruce
Old 06-03-2002, 02:29 PM   #12
oilspot

Default Re: solar battery boost

I have a modest solar panel on my pop-up and it added about a day to my boondocking experience.  I put a meter to in once and got 15 volts  around midday.

I think it is only about 1/2 amp or some such (only cost about $50), but I'm very happy with it.  I just glued it to the roof and hooked it directly to the battery.  I would do it again if I get a TM.  Might spring for a stronger pannel with more watts...

We too are misers when it comes to electricity, using lanterns & such to save the battery for heat & water.

It is also nice to know that the batter is kept charged when it is parked in my driveway.