TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
TomNVenice

Default LCD TV Install

Attached are photos of a modification I made to install a 20” LCD TV in my 2720SD. My trailer came with the optional 3 drawer cabinet. I disassembled the cabinet and added a box to the top for the TV and reinforced the cabinet. I added locking shelf hinges to the cabinet top and attached the TV to the bottom side of the top. I removed the top drawer storage well and hinged the door to the cabinet to create an area for Direct TV receiver, and CD/DVD/VHS unit.

I installed a coax switch plate and a recessed business machine AC receiver plug (the kind found on many desktop computers).

It’s been installed for nearly a year – logged 1000’s of miles including a 5 week trip on the Baja peninsula.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMLCD1.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	2679   Click image for larger version

Name:	TMLCD2.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	2680   Click image for larger version

Name:	TMLCD3.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	2681  
TomNVenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Very slick! Great solution.
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sweet! What a nice job!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Shandysplace

Default Great Job

We regret ordering the LCD TV option for our 3326 ($1,000+). The AM/FM portion of the Fahrenheit unit over the fridge does not work although all the other features of the unit are excellent. Had we known that the unit has no cable tuner, we'd never have ordered it and instead paid our dealer to come up with a solution similar to yours.

Now we're trying to find some way to have our cake and eat it too--some way to be able to have access to cable channels and all the other features of the Fahrenheit unit and have it all professionally installed and play on the LCD monitor. Another reason we need to do something is the conversion to all digital next year. The solution, if we can find one, won't be cheap.

Makes no sense to us to have 2 TV's--one for cable and the one in our bathroom wall for everything else. Although in the end, we might have to do just that.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Shandy -

I'm not sure I ever understood which model Fahrenheit unit you have, or how it is hooked up. Did your owner's manual have any info or diagrams in it? You're right, you shouldn't have to replace it, or to carry 2 TVs - but in the absence of more info, I'm having trouble working out a better solution.

Bill
Old 06-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
Another reason we need to do something is the conversion to all digital next year. The solution, if we can find one, won't be cheap.
Sharon and Andy, without knowing exactly what the setup is, I believe that we can easily solve your problem with an almost free (with the government voucher program) digital converter box and a little rewiring.

A digital converter box is a digital receiver/tuner. It will take the digital broadcasts (which all regular television stations must broadcast in Feb. 2009) and let you view them on really any television (old analogs) or monitor (depending on the monitors input abilities). This could even be a laptop screen if you have input jacks for outside sources.

The gov is giving away $40 vouchers for the purchase of these digital converters, which cost between 40 and 70 dollars usually. This program is for those people who don't want to buy a new expensive digital television, but instead can use this converter and their old television sets.

Everybody keeps thinking they have to buy new digital tvs next year, which they don't. Keep what you have and just use a converter box, and you are good to go. If you had cable or satellite, you weren't going to be affected anyway, and could use your old televisions as is. Each household is eligible for 2 vouchers (as long as they have funds).

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

We may have to add a signal splitter, depending on how your TManor monitor is setup, but it may already have inputs for more than one source.

I promise you for less than $50 bucks (using the voucher program), we can make your bathroom wall-mounted Tmanor monitor function as a television set, and you can watch broadcast television on it as well as hookup cable (with possibly another add-on) to it. If you have a vcr or a dvr, you most likely already have a cable tuner built in to them. You would just use the vcr/dvr as your cable box. Simple. We may just have to run a few wires, which won't be hard.

Let me know if this is the route you want to go, and I'll research the digital converters to see which one we will want and the output/inputs they have on the various models. Finding one with a QAM tuner (cable signal) also would be ideal. That way, one box could accept your digital television signals and cable signals. They make them, but I don't know if they will be in the price range I originally told you. They also make dvr's that have both a tv digital tuner(ATSC) and QAM tuner in them. That would also solve your situation and give you the ability to record. Either a dvr or a digital converter box could serve double duty. You could use it at home, when you're not camping.

It shouldn't be hard or expensive at all. If you can get Bill and myself a model number of your Farenheit unit, it's possible that it may have the necessary input jacks on it. If that's the case, all we would really need to do is hook the outside antenna to the converter box, the converter box to this input on the Farenheit, and you would be good to go. You could probably reach everything from outside your trailer, by removing the cover where your refrigerator is.

I was able to rewire a lot of my electronics from there when I added an dvd/radio to my trailer. I also rewired mine at that time where I can plug my portable satellite into the trailer outside jack and then plug my satellite receiver inside the trailer. We are doing something very similar with yours. We are just using a digital converter box instead of a satellite receiver. It's easy.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
S
The gov is giving away $40 vouchers for the purchase of these digital converters, which cost between 40 and 70 dollars usually. This program is for those people who don't want to buy a new expensive digital television, but instead can use this converter and their old television sets.
Speaking of converter box coupons, has anyone received the coupons yet? I applied online several months ago, and have yet to receive them. Is it too soon to expect them since digital switch doesn't happen until February '09? I plan to use a converter box with the antenna on the TM.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

I applied many months ago, received my coupons 2 or 3 months ago, and immediately used them. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have your coupons yet.

Bill
Old 06-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
fishpondwest

I applied for mine last December and received them in April I think. Mine have an expiration date on them however of July 17, 2008 so I will have to get crack'n.
Dan
Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Receiving DTV on TM Antenna

It works but not great. I would like a better antenna and amplifier for the higher frequency of DTV. The ATSC signals are all on the UHF band and the TM antenna doesn't do a great job. I usually camp off the beaten path where the signals are not as strong as in the cities.

Any ideas?
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote