TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
thewitzclan

Default Getting ready for our first trip.

We purchased Rip1202's 3023 in August, and we are getting ready to go on our first trip with it on Sunday to Fort Custer Recreation Area in Augusta Michigan. If anyone is interested, this is an excellent park to camp in. We've been there in our Coleman Mesa (which we absolutely loved), but we wanted something with solid walls because of moisture/dampness issues and heat loss issues. We like camping in spring and fall when the kids are back to school and it's much less crowded. We homeschool so we can do this. We have been using the camper more like a "hotel room" since we go out to eat quite often and make sure we camp at places where there are lots of things to do. Looking forward to this trip and will let you know how it went. Also will let you know how the Kia Sedona does towing it.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
thewitzclan

Default Had a good trip considering the weather...

It was cool and rainy and if it wasn't raining or drizzling it was very cloudy, for just about our whole stay. We loved the Trailmanor though. It was nice not having to run to the camp's bathroom in the middle of the night.
There was a condensation problem and I'm sure it was due to the "lovely" weather. But if we had been in our Mesa camper, all the bedding would've been wet, not from leaking but from condensation. At least in the Trailmanor the bedding wasn't wet, well anything touching the walls was a little damp, but I can live with that. We just tried to keep the bedding off the walls and kept them wiped down the best we could.
Also, it was very noisy when it was raining. It sounded like we had plumbing pipes in our ceiling, it was very strange. When it was raining hard it wasn't as noticible, but during the light rain we had some strange trickling sounds. Took us a while to decide it wasn't a problem, just a quirk to get use to when it rains.
Loved all the storage space too. Seems there was a place to put everything and no chance to get real cluttered like the camper use to.
My husband put a thread in the tow vehicle section...we didn't have any problem towing with the Sedona although we probably will get a different TV. I don't think we want to tow anywhere real hilly or mountainous. We've been talking about getting a conversion van since we got the Mesa. (Which we haven't sold yet, actually we need to put it up for sale, so if anyone knows anyone that is interested, point them in our direction.) And we think we will still go with a conversion van since it would be like having an "extra room". Back to the DH putting a thread on the tow section...we just had some bouncing. It's hard to explain. We figured it may have had something to do with the roads because it wasn't happening all the time. I think it may also have been something to do with the air pressure in the tires. The tires say 65 PSI and we were at about 58 PSI, and we weren't at full load capacity. I'm thinking we should have had the air pressure in the tires a little lower. Am I wrong? Should we have had 65 PSI?
Anyway, even though it rained we had a good time. Hit the mall, a few museums, went for some nice rides (really we were lost), Turkeyville, and we went to Binder Zoo (great zoo by the way) on the only day it didn't rain, but it looked like it could rain at any moment. There was no one there, the animals were active, it was great!
We will be making a couple more trips in October and are looking forward to it! Hopefully the weather will cooperate the next time.
Cathy
Old 09-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We're blessed with mostly dry weather here in the summer, so if we have to camp in the rain, it can get noisy. We bring earplugs and wear them when things start to drip. We've experienced some dripping/running sounds while camping at the beach in heavy fog. I know that nothing leaks, so I can go back to sleep . We get condensation on the walls with 4 people sleeping/breathing in the TM, especially if it's raining. We just wipe down the walls when they need it, and sometimes place dry towels at the bottom of the walls in the rear bed (that seems to be the worst place for the condensation).

We have Goodyear Marathons and keep them at 50 PSI, but have also experienced some bouncing on some roads. What kind of tires to do you have?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:11 AM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

As mentioned in previous posts, condensation does occur in certain areas of the TM (more so when it is humid inside the TM and the outside temperature drops overnight). We carry some micro fiber cloths to wipe up any condensation that forms. I might add that the walls stay dry . . . it is the corners where the ceiling meets the walls that collect the moisture. Some moisture tends to collect (on the bottom of the wall) along the edge of the bed. Windows can get pretty fogged up due to shower use. If you open the fantastic fan vent and run it on low speed that will take care of the moisture on the windows and some of the walls.

We have used a small compact dehumidifier (no compressor . . . uses Thermo-Electric Peltier Module) like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4532762

The dehumidifier made a big difference while staying at Bourne Scenic Park this past weekend. It ran all night and by morning the humidity was much less inside the TM. During our stay at Hunting Island, SC the last two weeks in March the same unit kept the inside of the TM nice and dry.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47

The dehumidifier made a big difference while staying at Bourne Scenic Park this past weekend. It ran all night and by morning the humidity was much less inside the TM. During our stay at Hunting Island, SC the last two weeks in March the same unit keep the inside of the TM nice and dry.

The dehumidifier might be just what we need for the TM. Since unit does not have a compressor, does that mean it runs quietly? We have a regular dehumidifier in the basement and it's heavy and somewhat loud, not the kind of thing you'd appreciate in a small enclosed area for sure!

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
commodor47
Site Sponsor

It runs very quietly. The only thing moving is the small fan which is quieter than the fans in my PC tower.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink 3023 should use *MUCH* lower tire PSI, most of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitzclan
.... we just had some bouncing. It's hard to explain. We figured it may have had something to do with the roads because it wasn't happening all the time. I think it may also have been something to do with the air pressure in the tires. The tires say 65 PSI and we were at about 58 PSI, and we weren't at full load capacity. I'm thinking we should have had the air pressure in the tires a little lower. Am I wrong? Should we have had 65 PSI?
Both 58PSI and 65PSI were probably way too much. In post #2 of this thread,
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3357
I used the 3023 as an example of tuning down the tire PSI to match your load. The 3023 is the "worst case" of standard TM models for needing reduced tire pressure. (My non-standard 2619 is even more extreme, but that's because I requested the big axle.)

If you were loaded light, but had your water tank full, you were probably at about 3800-4100 lbs total load. (TM doesn't count the A/C in their "dry weight" figure, you DO need to count it.) If your WDH was set (properly) to torque about 1/3 of the tongue weight back on the TM axle, then roughly 200-300 lbs was being taken by the TV via the tongue. So you had only 1700-1900 lbs on each tire. According to Goodyear's chart for the Marathon ST225/75R15, this would call for 45 PSI or even less.

Perhaps as little as 35 PSI, though I wouldn't go down that far-- the Dexter axle has a lot of Spring, and you definitely don't want to be too low. But 58 PSI is way too hard, for sure.

- - - - -
B&D have a 2720 (14" rims, I didn't put that chart into my post. But it is in the pdf:
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf
That gives them about 800 lbs less load capacity than you have. According to Goodyear, the maximum load for the ST215/75R14 tire is only 1870 lbs at 50 PSI. And of course, the Dexter with the 14" wheels is officially good for only 3500 lbs. Starting from 50 PSI, rather than 65, leaves a lot less room for "tuning". And the small Dexter has a lot more flex. So even empty, I'd never dream of putting a standard 2619 or 2720 tire below 40 PSI minimum. B&D running at max (50 PSI) is WAY closer to "optimal" than you running at 58 PSI on your much larger and more load-capable tire.

Is the small tire the ST215, or the ST205? The ST205 obviously needs MORE air pressure, loosing about 100 lbs load capacity at each PSI value in the table (in comparison with the wider tire). With either tire, you hit the Dexter limit before you hit the tire limit.
- - - - -

More recently, Goodyear has allowed people to add up to 10 lbs, even exceeding the 65 lb limit, for driving at high speeds (on freeways). But this should only be done on smooth pavements, such as the Interstates.

If you're not using Marathons, or Goodyear's newer tire, then these numbers don't apply-- be VERY conservative about reducing pressure to match load with other brands.
- - - - -
The other thing which can lead to excessive bouncing is insufficient torque on the WDH. If there's too much load on the TV rear tire, that's terrible at both ends: Your front tires, the ones you need for STEERING and BRAKING, don't have a fair share of the weight, that's REALLY BAD, and the TM tires are also a little lighter than they should be, causing a small increase in tendency to "bounce". Do you measure your TV height changes, or do you only guess? I'd measure carefully, at least once.