TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
George H.

Default 1st long trip w/new TM - Experiences

Drove 600 mles from Sterling, VA to Lakeport, MI State Park (Family and friend gathering). New experiences:

1. 2720 (2006) pulled like a champ. TV is a Honda Ridgeline, averaged 13 miles a gallon.
2. Lakeport State Park is fabulous. Sites are HUGE with lots of trees. Park is located on Lake Huron ten miles north of Port Huron.
3. Camped for a week - everything works!
4. Learned a lot about using the camper without water or sewer hookups (we had electric).
a. Had to add water after the 4th day and am looking for a good way to do so. I filled a 5 gallon plastic container and poured into a funnel that did not work well. Are there better ways?
b. Also found I needed a Blue Boy to empty grey and black. Borrowed another campers Blue Boy after the 5th day. Seriously considering a purchase because we love the State parks. They are not cheap.

and finally.....

4. Two other TM's IN the park! They were a 1998 3023 and a 2004 2720, both owners very nice and both from MI. 4th camping trip but first time I've seen a TM in a park.

That's it. Looking for feedback on the water and sewer issues at State parks.

George H.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
MidwestDave

Default New experiences

Sounds like a great trip George! Our only experience with state parks was in Wisconsin. We had a great site somewhat isolated from other campers yet could see them. Electric only! Hauled water from bath/shower building 100 feet away. Just used 5 gal bucket and poured into stool or sink! Worked out well. I would go back with full water tanks! Park was patrolled by Ranger so if you needed anything he could be of help.

Midwest Dave
Northern Illinois
Old 08-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
MidwestDave

Wink Sewer State parks

Oh ya, the State park we stayed at had a dump station just as you leave.
We opted for a 15 gal blue tote. You will need to tow the tote with your TV to the dump station as it is very heavy when full. After about 2 1/2 to 3 days I haul the tote two times to empty grey/black water to empty same.
It can get messy if you are not careful. Sure beats closing everything down and hauling TM to dump station. Just my 2 cents

Midwest Dave
Northern Illinois
Old 08-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We use a green plastic "jerry can" to carry water from the hydrant to the trailer when we are camping sans hookups. I think it holds 5 gallons and was bought at Wal*Mart for very little. It has a spout that fits nicely into the fill tube of the TM.

Since this "jerry can" takes up significant volume (but not much weight) we only take it when dry camping is planned...so in case it happens unexpectedly we have a collapsible container stowed in the TM. Not as easy to empty into the TM and does not hold as much, but better than carrying it in milk jugs or whatever...
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by George H.
a. Had to add water after the 4th day and am looking for a good way to do so. I filled a 5 gallon plastic container and poured into a funnel that did not work well. Are there better ways?
George,
Check out your local auto supply store (Kragens, Pep Boys, etc.) to find a funnel designed with an offset in it to put transmission fluid in your vehicle. These funnels are usally a "colored" plastic. Ours was orange. They have a large funnel (about 6-8" dia) and a "tube" that is about 1/2-3/4" dia. I was able to put the tube into our water fill tube and slowly pour from a 5 gal container.

It takes 4 5 gal bottles to fill the 20 gallon tank. Usually it isn't too difficult to haul 5 gallons from a water faucet that may be a 100' or so away from your camp site.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
dennisu

we also use a blue 5 gal plastic water can from walmart. due to the weight of the water i use a hand bilge pump to pump the water from the can on the ground into the filler tube. works wonderful! bilge pumps available at cabelas in different sizes.

dennisu
Old 08-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

I've got 2 - 3 gal plastic jerry cans by Igloo that I take. Both have nice long spouts and if you turn the spout so the bend is pointing 180 from the norm, it really facilitates filling. 8x3=24#x2=48# vs 8x5=40# Toting 1 in each hand balances me and my cranky back is much happier than carring the single lump by 1 arm. There is a handle on the top and 1 on the sides making it easy to hold while pouring. Plus I get an extra Gallon.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckul8r
I've got 2 - 3 gal plastic jerry cans by Igloo that I take. Both have nice long spouts and if you turn the spout so the bend is pointing 180 from the norm, it really facilitates filling. 8x3=24#x2=48# vs 8x5=40# Toting 1 in each hand balances me and my cranky back is much happier than carring the single lump by 1 arm. There is a handle on the top and 1 on the sides making it easy to hold while pouring. Plus I get an extra Gallon.
I have a 7 or 8 gal water container. I use a small colapsable hand truck (about $40 at the hardware store) and a bungie to transport the water to the TM. Then I use a simple bilge pump from REI (about $18) with some 1 inch (?) tubing on the end so I can stick the tubing into the intake and pump the water up from ground level. Much easier than carrying and hoisting that water jug!
Cheri
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #9
coulter

We have an 8 gallon fresh water container and a 6volt submersible pump from zodi. it takes a couple of minutes to transfer the water from container to TM, very easy on the back.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
coulter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
great idea, Coulter.... do you have a website for the pump, container, etc.?

I sure do, here is the link for the pump
http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Cons...cessories.html

it's the 6 Volt Pump Item# 1067

they have a couple of 12volt pumps also but I already had this one left over from a shower that we won't be using anymore since we have the TM . I highly recommend zodi products, we have used numerous items for years and they hold up well.

The container is just one of the big blue ones from walmart, that has the spigot attachment.