TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
PaulineF
Site Sponsor

Default Storage question

We are considering the purchase of a new TM. We have owned a Coleman pop-up for 16 years (a Sequoia model) and have enjoyed the ease of towing and space it provided us.

The new TM we are considering is a 2720. We would like to purchase a 3024KB but are concerned that our 2000 Ford Explorer 2WD with its 4.0L engine will not be really adequate for towing the 3024. Although we live in south Louisiana and will use the TM more often in the southern and eastern parts of the US, we do plan trips out west where the elevations will be higher. From the info we have found on the TM owners' pages, it appears that the 2720 would be a more realistic purchase for us and the TV we own. (We don't anticipate purchase of a bigger TV in the future either.)

My concern is one of storage options in the TMs. (Our current pop-up seems to have more storage space than the TMs.) We would appreciate suggestions from TM owners on how to maximize the storage space available in a 2027 TM.

Thanks, and we certainly appreciate the wealth of info posted on this TM owners' site. The information is very helpful us as we make our decisions.

Pauline F
PaulineF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
Queeniereads

We were all set to buy the smaller one and then decided on the 3124KS becuase of the King Sized bed. Storage was not, in our minds, a problem with either model. THere is great storage under the bed, and as someone else said, there is lots of room on the floor even when the unit is down. We have yet to use half of the storage available. What hyou may want in the smaller model is drawer space -- buy those little plastic drawer sets at Walmart. We love our TM and find it roomy and full of places to put things. Quieeniereads aka Judi
Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
PaulineF
Site Sponsor

Our Sequoia is a a 1996 model. We bought it used 16 years ago. When we tow it loaded now it weighs only about 1500 pounds. We never used the inside stove or sink, preferring to cook outside on the stove that is stored in a drawer on the outside of the pop-up. We use the second bed area to place the suitcases, food boxes, camera, etc.

(The new Sequoia has more options now than our old camper, including a flushable ceramic toilet.)

We are two adults, and my husband is 6' 4". We have recently retired.

Our longest trip in the pop-up was a two week one. We are pretty conservative in how much stuff we bring. We, too, purchase groceries along the way, carriyng enough food for several days, and do laundry regularly. Occasionally we put a canoe on the Explorer.

Hopes this helps give others an idea of our camping style and needs!

Pauline
Old 01-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

You didn't say how many days you'll be driving compared to camping but my advice is to get the trailer you want as long as it's within your TV's tow rating and you can live with a little less speed. Otherwise you'll regret not doing so and take a bath on trading up to a larger trailer as well as a new TV. Having said that, I can say we do just fine in our 2619 and have averaged 2-5 months and 7-8K mi per year with it. There are a lot of silent members here who tow successfully with TVs others consider inadequate.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Last July (2005) I filled up my TV and TM 2720 with everything I thought I would every want. Less than half of the TM floor was covered with extra items like chairs. I was full of water and propane. Fridge was stuffed. One of the goals of the trip was to weigh it all.

I was 120 pounds lighter than the TM axle limit. I ran out of weight capacity before I ran out of floor space.

We had clothes for 2 adults for 5 days. More cans of soda/beer than I thought I would ever carry on any trip.

I will agree that cupboard space is tight. However, overall space is fine for us.

I THINK I have a posting from around that time with more details. You might take a look at stuff I posted in July or August.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
heyokasni

We're just transitioning from a 27 foot Winnebago (otherwise known as the money pit that breaks down a lot) to a 1988 TrailManor 26 (Same as 3023) that we just purchased. There is definitely less storage in the TM than the Winnebago. Also, the storage is at less convenient heights.

However, as has already been pointed out, there is a lot of storage space on the floor for getting things to your camp site.

We're planning on taking a hard look at what we actually need to be comfortable focusing on multiple use and lightness. It will be a challenge because we're both Pack Rats. I think we'll end up stowing a lot of things on whichever bed we decide not to sleep on. I'm also thinking that we may take advantage of storing some things outside the trailer in the space under the beds. It seems like that should be a viable option as long as you can keep things dry and secure. Is anyone else doing this?

Good luck in getting your TrailManor.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I like to bring a lot of stuff with us too, but with the TM I've made an effort to find things to bring along that fit together in a way to minimize the storage space needed for these things. There is quite a bit of storage space in the drawers and cabinets, also under the drawers. In our 2720, there is a lot of space under the drawers next to the rear bed. I keep a lot of stuff under there, spare parts, the dominoes, also a tool kit with the things & parts we need to keep the TM repaired in an old casette tape case. It fits perfectly under there.

Until this last trip I took up a whole drawer with these items, but moved things into smaller cases (I shop the local thrift stores for various-sized cases that aren't available now) that can be stashed at the back of a cabinet, or in the upper front cabinets.

Also, some things I like to keep in the tow vehicle in case we need to get to them. We have two fold-up/roll-up toiletry bags that hang in the bathroom; one of them, with the ibuprofen, bandaids, tums, etc. goes in the tow vehicle. Everything in those bags is in small packages or zipper bags. I restock after each trip before the bag goes back into the TM.

The biggest problem I have is a place for shoes. This last trip, I put our shoes that we wear regularly into a hanging shoe thingey with puffy pockets that hangs over the bathroom wall next to the kitchen sink. My kids wear Vans, and they are big shoes. It's hard to get all of our shoes into the cabinet below the rear bed. This hanging shoe thingey was originally designed to hang over the rear of the bathroom wall for eyeglasses, books, TV remote, etc. for the rear bed area, so I guess I'll have to get another one.

We bought one of those stacked plastic drawer things that I set on the counter next to the wardrobe, we only have one kitchen drawer because our unit had the side a/c. I keep our plastic bags, tin foil, spices, kitchen utensils, clothespins, etc. in those drawers. We usually do a lot of cooking when we camp so these items are necessary for us.

I just keep trying different things, and different arrangements, and this last trip everyone said that we seemed really well organized and that they could find everything (!!!). Wherever I go, I'm always on the lookout for things that I think will make the storage better for us. Everyone's needs are different, and it's kind of a challenge to get things organized in a way that works for you.

But I think we're finally getting there!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:53 PM   #8
Bill & Lisa

I am still alittle confused on what it is you had for a pop up. 16 years ago the 1990's would have been the new model. If you brought your unit used was it a 1986? (instead of a 1996?)

We traded up from a starcraft 1702 which had a 8' foot box I believe. We loaded alot of stuff into that camper but all of it and more fit in our TM (which is the 3023 model)

Bill
Old 01-21-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
PaulineF
Site Sponsor

Yes, the Coleman pop-up was a 1986. (Sorry for the typo.)

I checked the owner's manual and the GVWR is 1995 pounds. Cargo capacity is 540 pounds. Curb weight dry is 1340, and hitch wt dry is 115.

I certainly have appreciated the comments so far.

Pauline
Old 01-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
hal

We have a 2720SD and find that there is enough storage for all that we might wish to take with us. Just remember, you no longer need to take a tent, 2 extra stoves etc. Also, while there is plenty of space under the table and on the floor, remember that you are going to need to move it out of the way once you reach the campground. It is nice to walk in and begin using your TM once you have set it up..... and nothing in your way to make yourself at home.

For those space concious people, I have some free plans for installing Elfa type drawers under your cabinets. As it is without them you will need to get down on your knees with a flash light and look through a jumble of canned goods to find what you want to eat for the next meal. This set up requires a few tools (hammer or rubber mallet, hack saw,and an electric drill.

You can send me an email at [email protected]. I will send them back to your email address.