TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Smile Wardrobe Shelves

This was a pretty easy project. We could use more shelving for storage of bath towels, dish towels, wash cloths, etc. We didn't have much need for hanging space that was in the wardrobe. So I made a shelf out of some lightweight 1/2" plywood. I installed four small corner blocks and screwed and glued them into the existing wardrobe corners. I then used construction adhesive to secure the shelf to the blocks. For cosmetic purposes, I glued a 1/4" strip of oak over the exposed plywood edge. My wife liked the shelf so much, she asked for another, only a bit higher. Unfortunately I didn't have any more 1/2" plywood, but I had a bunch of 1/4" plywood. So I tried it, just to see how it would work. I installed the shelf the same way. It's OK for light things. When I get more of the thicker plywood, I might do it over again (probably not).
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We also did wardrobe shelves, but put them on the side so that we could still hang up a few things. I recessed the right side a bit so that you could get things in and out more easily. This works better for us. The wardrobe seemed like a waste of space before, since we don't have that many items of clothing to hang up, but do usually have some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMSHEL~1.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	811  
Old 10-15-2005, 08:25 PM   #3
Bill & Lisa

DW followed the same decision path as the previous post and left some room for hanging stuff. However she did a very lightweight approach with a hanging cloth hanger. She also secured a second piece of velcro to the inside of the back of the cabinet to attach the mirror to during travel. The mirror usually installs on the front of the wardrobe door.

The shelves you guys made look great but I have to assume you put light weight stuff on them (linens and such) so they don't get too upset with being dumped on their side when you lower the wardrobe for travel?
Old 10-15-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Nice jobs! For us, the original wardrobe seemed like a lot wasted space too. We were packing the TM today for a camping trip tomorrow, and we were able to stow a lot more stuff. Because the wardrobe is turned on its side when the TM is closed, we use it for towels and linens mostly, and try to keep it packed tightly. We have a 2619 with the side air conditioner so cabinet space is definitley at a premium!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We put all of our clothes (for two adults and two teenagers) either on the shelves or hanging in the wardrobe. Since the clothes are folded up anyway, they don't get jumbled up too much. If we're packing for just a weekend I might stuff a throw blanket, some towels, or put a coat in there on top of each shelf to hold the clothes in place.

We also had the side a/c (I took it out, it died and we never used it anyway).
Old 02-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Leslie & Nick - Do you happen to have a picture of your shelving unit in the wardrobe?

B and D - What type of material did you use in yours? Is that particle board or plywood? Do you remember the thickness? I'm trying to go light as possible to reduce weight.....I wonder how those wire closet shelves at Home Depot/Lowes compare in weight.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Leslie & Nick - Do you happen to have a picture of your shelving unit in the wardrobe? Dave
Dave, I don't think I took pictures of the wardrobe modification at the time. The trailer is not nearby, or I'd take a few pictures. The job was one of the easier ones as I recall. I simply removed the round hanging rod, then made two shelves to fit - one out of 1/2" plywood (works best), the other out of 1/4" plywood (because that's all I had). I used Gorilla Glue (and screws??) to affix 8 'locator' blocks to support the shelves at each corner. It's been four years now and the shelves are still in place!

Nick
Old 02-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

WOW we must be one of the only TM owners that actually use the wardrobe for hanging clothes & also like it.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
WOW we must be one of the only TM owners that actually use the wardrobe for hanging clothes & also like it.
We do as well. I like to have some long sleeved shirts for cool evenings or when the pesky mosquitos are around.

Our wasted space was the hanging locker under the bed on the 3124. It was always a mess as storage for blankets, some clothes, a small fan, and sundry other things. Today we went to Costco and bought some of those plastic two drawer units. They are about 20" deep, 16" wide, and 17" high. We put two of them (four drawers) in and it still left space to hang a few things if we wanted to. The bedding sits on top Now jeans, t-shirts, etc. can go in the drawers and shirts and jackets can hang in the wardrobe and no more mess stacked on the floor.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
B and D - What type of material did you use in yours? Is that particle board or plywood? Do you remember the thickness? I'm trying to go light as possible to reduce weight.....I wonder how those wire closet shelves at Home Depot/Lowes compare in weight.

Dave
I used some 1/8" pressed board from Home Depot, it does sag a bit on the long side but it does the job. It's very light weight and it is not screwed into the closet, it's framing stands alone. I just used staples to secure the pressed board to the frame. We've had it for about 4 years now and it's held up just fine. I would imagine that the wire shelves weigh much more. If you'd like some more pictures, I could email them to you.