TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #11
coralcruze

Ok guys you can tell me what batt I have. Wallyword special. Is it deep cycle? States it's a 27
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220623_150755.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	21099  
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:16 PM   #12
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Ok guys you can tell me what batt I have. Wallyword special. Is it deep cycle? States it's a 27
It states that it's an 80AH battery, giving you 40AH available before it must be charged. Deep cycle is semantics on a small battery like that. Just like it says, "800 marine cranking amps" what does that even mean? They through in the "Marine" to make the buyer think that he's getting more bang for his buck. Same goes for "Deep Cycle". It's all about marketing. This stuff isn't regulated.

Group "27" just denotes the physical measurements of the battery.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:36 PM   #13
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
It states that it's an 80AH battery, giving you 40AH available before it must be charged. Deep cycle is semantics on a small battery like that. Just like it says, "800 marine cranking amps" what does that even mean? They through in the "Marine" to make the buyer think that he's getting more bang for his buck. Same goes for "Deep Cycle". It's all about marketing. This stuff isn't regulated.

Group "27" just denotes the physical measurements of the battery.

Thanks wavery for setting me straight. Boondocking is sertainly an expierience. The kids like the campground amenities especially the pool and stuff so For now it's just me however me and my wife would love to get out there and rough it lol. I can see the potential but have to get the refrigerator on propane first. I am removing that this weekend and bringing it home to work on it and change out some old parts. Should be funnnnn
Old 06-23-2022, 06:42 PM   #14
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I'm sure you watched some of the videos from Youtube, but when I start disassembling things, I take my own pics. Ya just never know how easy it is to forget where that bracket went??? No experience making those mistakes...oh no, not me. . Good luck with the work.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #15
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
I'm sure you watched some of the videos from Youtube, but when I start disassembling things, I take my own pics. Ya just never know how easy it is to forget where that bracket went??? No experience making those mistakes...oh no, not me. . Good luck with the work.
Thanks for all of your help on all of my threads. Really trying to getvthe TM back in shape. You are right I always take pics the first time I work on something new.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze
So I purchased a new deep cycle 80cca battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
If the battery in question has a cca rating, it is most likely a pure motor-start battery, and not a deep cycle battery or a combination (aka marine) battery.
Small but important difference. The label says 80 mca (marine cranking amps), not 80 cca (cold cranking amps) as in your original post.

I've got to agree with Wavery. There is an enormous amount of unregulated marketing hype in this area. True deep cycle batteries are available, though more expensive, and I can no longer find one at Walmart. Regardless, the bottom line lesson is to treat your battery tenderly, and expect to get a few years out of it. Or treat it wrong and get much less. I learned this the hard way, many years ago.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:27 AM   #17
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default That's a 'combo' battery. Unsure how you're "spending" more than 40AH per night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Thanks for the photo. It advertises both MCA and AH, that's a "mixed use" battery. Not bad for general use in marine applications, but limited in "deep cycle" use - exactly as Wavery and I described in previous posts.

In TM usage, it would be OK to use about 40Ah (out of the advertised "80ah") before recharging the next morning. Unless you're keeping lights on for a really long time, or running the overhead fans, it's hard for me to make guesses about where your power is being spent.