TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2004, 05:47 AM   #1
dcrdark
Site Sponsor

Default Need to have better support for stove/oven

We just came back from up state New York for a family reunion. Going by way of I81 through PA, which is a wash board of a road. When I opened the TM I found that the stove/oven was almost on the floor, it would have been if the gas pipe was not conntected. All of the screws were torn loose and I spent most of a day making supports for beefing up around the stove area.
dcrdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:30 AM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Need to have better support for stove/oven

Wow, I've been reading this board for two years now and that is a new one on me!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #3
live2shopnc

The small bar that runs in front of mine fell off returuning home from my last trip.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:21 AM   #4
dcrdark
Site Sponsor

When I was putting the stove back in place, I notice that something was missing in the front. We bought the TM used and thought it was susposed to be like that. Anyway, I did put a piece of poplar in the front. What I did to beef up the area was to remove the shelf under the stove. On the left side I took 3/4" plywood and ran it from the underside of the counter all the way to the floor. On the right side. I didn't want to take the cabinet apart so, where the drawer and the cabinet door is, I took some pieces of 3/4" plywood and glued and screwed them between the cabnet supports on the wall next to the stove. This gave me something more substantial to screw the the stove to. Since I did this, I was able to make supports for the bottom of the stove as well. At first the back of the stove was not supported and I think because of the bouncing the bakc of the stove started to rock and once the rocking started it couldn't stop. Anyway, after all this rambling, I still would like to see the stove supported better in the future.

Dave
Old 07-30-2004, 10:46 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is a wooden cross-member under the front of the stove. It is not pressed up against the underside of the oven - as I recall it is about an inch below the front edge of the oven. I believe that this gap is intentional, and provides ventilation. Be careful not to close it up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
dcrdark
Site Sponsor

Thanks Bill,
I'll more than likely drill some large holes in it so that it will provide for both purposes.
Dave
Old 08-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #7
bpbenysh

Default Oven Bounce

Have not had the oven work loose but did have the oven door come off after a particularly bad "crater" on I80 in PA. Had to straighten door hinge brackets before I could re-install. I'm considering some kind of restraint for the door.
Bill
Old 08-24-2004, 07:24 AM   #8
Carol
Site Sponsor

Default Oven & Stove Top Bounce

We started using a bungee cord looped through the oven door handle and then hooked through the grate on the top to prevent the door from opening or the top grate from bouncing loose during travel.

Of course, this would not solve the entire oven unit from coming loose. Luckily, ours seems to be quite securely installed.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:24 PM   #9
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

We've had similar problems. We now take the grate off and store it on the floor when underway. The screws have also come out of the foam and we're processing how to make that a permanent "fix/repair". The door has never com open, yet. The floor storage came about after we found the grate 'loose' in the trailer. Olga & Ken, Northwoods
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #10
WNYChange

Default Oven and Stove

I posted a message about a week ago in the maintanence section about this same problem. Seems like most of those replies said people didn't see this exact problem. I'm glad I spent some time hunting around this board tonight, because I see I'm not the only one having the same problem I am. I've also made added some supports and tried to tighten things up as much as possible. Someone posted a good idea about placing a pillow on the oven while traveling. I'm going to try that.