TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-03-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default The best ice cream to put in a TM's refer...

To me one of the greatest things about "camping" with a TrailManor compared to camping with other lightweight, low profile trailers like Coleman popups or car-camping with a tent is the ability to have a functional freezer in the refrigerator. In addition to being able to make ice-cubes while camping (which I still think is super-cool...tells you how many years I lived out of a cooler doesn't it? :P) what I really love is the ability to keep ice cream in a decently frozen state.

But the little freezer in a TM's refrigerator (at least the little freezer in my TM's Dometic refer) isn't big enough to hold ice cream containers larger than the pint-size ones. And if you're a bit of an ice cream snob like I am, that kinda limited the choices. Ok, ok, I will admit that Ben & Jerrys is pretty good, and Haagen Daz is really not all that bad but I didn't find TM style ice cream heaven until my Commissary started carrying Dreyer's version of the "Dreamery" ice creams. And until I checked the Dreamery website this evening I didn't realize there were a whopping 23 flavors available. But I gotta say that the 10 or so flavors that my Commissary carries of the Dreyers version are a pretty good sampler and incredibly yummy.

Soooo, if you can find Dreamery ice cream pints in your grocery store and haven't tried this version of camping heaven, I strongly urge you to buy some before your next outing in your TM. To me there are few better ways of ending a high intensity day of hiking, cycling, or kayaking than with a bowl of this ice cream. ;D
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
doug and antonea

Default Re:The best ice cream to put in a TM's refer...

It is also a great way to start out your day for breakfast!
Old 06-04-2004, 06:46 AM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

[quote author=doug and antonea link=board=17;threadid=1992;start=msg14016#msg1401 6 date=1086325460]
It is also a great way to start ou your day for breakfast!
[/quote]

LOL! And if you add some GrapeNuts (as a crunchy topping), it could almost be considered healthy. Fatty but not probably not much fattier than a bunch of bacon or sausage. On days where I'm going to be burning few thousand more calories than normal (e.g. climbing a mountain, doing a 30 mile or so mountain bike ride, kayaking for several hours) I usually gobble a really high calorie breakfast anyway. Have to remember to add ice cream to the menu on those days. ;D
Old 06-04-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Chris_Bauer

Their motto says it all, "Blue Bell, the best tasting ice cream in the country". Comes in pints, and their low-fat no-fat vanilla is to die for . Mmmmoooooooooooo ;D.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
efelker

Amen and amen to Chris' response above. Blue Bell - Jamoca Chocolate Almond Fudge -- man you'll think you went to heaven. My wife hated when were assigned to Barksdale AFB in Bossier City LA -- but she'd go back as long as I bought her Blue Bell Ice Cream.

Ed
Old 06-08-2004, 07:01 PM   #6
kempert
Site Sponsor

STOP!
You guys are driving me crazy.
I can't eat until tomorrow morning and I run into this.
Thanks for the laughs.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default ice cream nutritional facts

Did you read the nutritional information? Up to 60% of daily recommended allowance of saturated fat in just 1/2 cup serving. I think I am going to go to heaven, a lot sooner.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:29 AM   #8
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Talking Allowance is much higher if you burn LOTS of calories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWilson
Did you read the nutritional information? Up to 60% of daily recommended allowance of saturated fat in just 1/2 cup serving. I think I am going to go to heaven, a lot sooner.
All of the daily recommended allowances are based on an assumed daily caloric burn rate...typically around 2500 calories for an adult male. If you do as I (and a few others) do...engage in extended periods of highly strenous physical activity while camping, then your daily allowances are enormously increased. For instance, a typical camping day for me will include a 10 to 15 mile hike involving around 2000 vertical feet of climbing...or 6 to 8 miles of flatwater kayaking...or 20 to 30 miles of mountain biking (often with around 700 to 1000 feet of elevation change on the route)...or climbing one of Colorado's "14ers" (14,000 foot high mountain). These activities result in the burning of an additional 2000 to 4000 calories over my basal metabolism (2500 calories)...or a total of 4500 to 6500 calories during the day...that means that half cup of ice cream now constitutes somewhere around a mere 20 to 30 percent of my allowable saturated fat.

One of the lesser known advantages of regularly engaging in a lot of strenuous, aerobic exercise is it allows you to eat like a pig and still lose weight. One of my running pals does exactly that....he runs a pretty impressive 30 to 40 miles a week primarily so he can eat all he wants and still stay trim, fit and very healthy.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

Old 09-20-2004, 11:09 AM   #9
Simon3xUD

Smile Ben and Jerry are my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRay
Soooo, if you can find Dreamery ice cream pints in your grocery store and haven't tried this version of camping heaven, I strongly urge you to buy some before your next outing in your TM. To me there are few better ways of ending a high intensity day of hiking, cycling, or kayaking than with a bowl of this ice cream. ;D
Sorry Ray, but until Dreamery comes up with something comparable to Caramel Sutra or Concession Obsession, I'll retain my loyalty to my pals Ben & Jerry

Sally