TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default Maxxis Tires

In the September 2016 issue of Trailer Life (that's one of the Good Sam publications) on page 39 there is a very good 4 page article by Bob Livingston on Maxxis Tires. I don't think it's an ad either. Check it out if you like.
Froggy
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
TM Pilot

Care to give some highlights about the Maxxis article for those who don't have a subscription to Trailer Life.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default basically

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM Pilot View Post
Care to give some highlights about the Maxxis article for those who don't have a subscription to Trailer Life.
Bob said they were the best, that the company owned it's own plant and that quality control was paramount....5 year warranty....fiber overlay....told about the care and importance of inflation...told how the Maxxis tires are focused on longevity, especially while stored or not in use. You might be able to find it online.
Froggy
Old 08-18-2016, 02:14 AM   #4
benjamin1992

What is maxxis? I am new in here.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default Maxxis Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1992 View Post
What is maxxis? I am new in here.
hi ya kids, hi ya
Maxxis (in my opinion) are the very best trailer tires one can buy...check out the reviews on Amazon...
Froggy
Old 08-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Jampcourt

There is a load and inflation table in the article.....the Maximum speed rating for every tire is 65 miles per hour. There are seven sizes shown, from ST175/80R13 to ST235/80R16. from B through E load ratings if this is the best trailer tire and they tell us that the maximum speed should be 65 MPH, there are some of you out there going too fast! (If you have ever driven in California, the max speed for any vehicle towing is 55 MPH....probably for a good reason)!
I know that time is a major factor for those of you who aren't retired, and you won't get as far at 65 MPH max, but you will be getting to your destination more safely.
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Post what it REALLY says....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampcourt View Post
There is a load and inflation table in the article.....the Maximum speed rating for every tire is 65 miles per hour. There are seven sizes shown, from ST175/80R13 to ST235/80R16. from B through E load ratings if this is the best trailer tire and they tell us that the maximum speed should be 65 MPH, there are some of you out there going too fast! (If you have ever driven in California, the max speed for any vehicle towing is 55 MPH....probably for a good reason)!
I know that time is a major factor for those of you who aren't retired, and you won't get as far at 65 MPH max, but you will be getting to your destination more safely.
Hi ya kids, hi ya....
So here is what the article says....Trailer Life...September 2016...page 43...3rd paragraph....

"While the tires are engineered to run faster than 80 MPH, the company limits its speed rating to 65 MPH, in accordance with agreements with the Tire and Rim Association." Then the article offers from Maxxis a disclaimer for what I am sure is liability purposes...it goes on to say...."Exhaustive testing assures confidence in saftey, but should not be considered a free ticket to pull a trailer faster than 65 MPH. Traveling at greater speeds is unsafe and not encouraged".

Well why should they encourage anything other than "BUY OUR TIRES" for liability threat. Of course they wouldn't! I can tell you this...believe it or not, I spoke directly with the folks at Maxxis and they told me that "if you raise the pressure up 5 extra pounds you can safely travel at 5 more MPH. This is according to the weight of your trailer and the inflation of the tires". Obviously if your inflation is maxed out you can't do this, but if your inflation is at say 65 psi (with a maximum inflation of 80 psi @ max load) then you could go to 70 psi and then go 70 MPH.

Last fall I took a trip out to the west coast and went about 72 MPH all day long, and never had one ounce of trouble. My Maxxis 225 75R 15's stayed cool according to my tire monitor and held their pressure perfectly. Now for liability purposes I am NOT saying you can go a zillion MPH...I'm just telling you my experience with my Maxxis tires. You can believe and do whatever you wish with your stuff. I would suggest YOU call up Maxxis tires and put the wood to them and see what they tell you. This story in Trailer Life was a public media article put out there in front of GOD and everyone....so what would you expect?

Froggy
Old 08-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

It is right in your first paragraph: in order to be rated as a trailer tire (ST) in the US, the Tire and Rim Association decrees that the maximum rated speed is 65 mph.

Has nothing to do with the tire construction and everything to do with the rating system.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:15 PM   #9
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
It is right in your first paragraph: in order to be rated as a trailer tire (ST) in the US, the Tire and Rim Association decrees that the maximum rated speed is 65 mph.

Has nothing to do with the tire construction and everything to do with the rating system.
Nothing makes me happier or safer than when some blunderhead has made a decree.

No worries.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #10
klpauba

The energy of my TV & TM is proportional to the square of the speed. I consider that when I have the urge to go faster. The same holds for the rotational energy of the tires. The slower they rotate the less damage they will do if they were to fail.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote