TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Question where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
Sorry to hear about your blowout. After reading here on the forum I decided that this was all too common a problem with TM. It is probably worth having someone weld something up but I went the erector set solution. A trip to Home depot, a hacksaw, screwdriver, wrench, and a few hours work was all it took. I am not sure if my blowout would have taken anything out as we got stopped very quickly do to hearing it and a tire pressure senor on the tire but I think the cage is worthwhile. My solution can be seen in my pictures and albums.
I'd like to see what you fabricated...but your album is really big so I don't know where to look in there....and those are some fantastic photos you have there by the way..
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkypogo View Post
Jeez you guys are scaring me! Our tire receipt shows two ST215/75R14C/ 102N OMNI COMMODORE ST BLK installed 6/18/2014 (we purchased the trailer in 3/2016). We are running at appx. 70 lbs. pressure and have gone appx. 250 miles each way over a 4 day weekend at 70 mph. I suppose we are tempting the devil with this recipe.
Tom, I think you missed my point, so perhaps others did too.

An ST tire, Load Range C, is rated for inflation to 50 psi MAX. Inflating to 70 psi is way too much.
In addition, ST tires are rated for 65 mph MAX. Routine running at 70 mph is too fast.

Both of these are printed on the sidewall of the tire.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #13
fnkypogo

Default Pressure

Thanks! Lowering pressure for sure. I will check the tire sidewall. I'd <almost> swear they were max rated for 80lbs max but the information about the rims is duly noted! I will also watch my speed. Any more information about Maxxis tires? Have you mounted those on stock rims or replacements? -Dirk
Old 07-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #14
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Tom,

Not sure where you were looking. If you look under my pictures and albums on this site (not flickr site) it is under plumbing protection.

Roger

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #15
trailbiker

Where is the best place to get Maxxsis Tires? There doesn't seem to be any tire dealers selling them in the Northeast. I don't really want to buy tires online, but i would be curious to know which online dealers folks have used and what their experiences were.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #16
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up bought mine online

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbiker View Post
Where is the best place to get Maxxsis Tires? There doesn't seem to be any tire dealers selling them in the Northeast. I don't really want to buy tires online, but i would be curious to know which online dealers folks have used and what their experiences were.
from Discount Tire....they mounted them for free too!
Tom
Old 07-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #17
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Well, fortunately for me, there's a local tire shop in Albuquerque that carried Maxxis, so that's where I got mine. I just had them mounted on the rims that came with the TM. I have them inflated to 65 psi and I try to keep my speed around 65 mph (cruise control helps with that). I already had metal stems put in and I have TPMS sensors on them so I can monitor both temp and pressure while on the road.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I just had them mounted on the rims that came with the TM.
Cindy -

Just to be clear, I think your 2013 TM came from the factory with 15-inch tires, so your replacement tires were also 15-inch, and almost certainly Load Range D. For that tire, 65 psi is a good inflation pressure.

Older TMs came with 14-inch wheels, and the 14-inch tires were Load Range C. For LR-C tires, inflation pressure should not exceed 50 psi.

As forum members have noted in the past, there are a few 14-inch Load Range D tires, and perhaps the Maxis are among them. If so, 65 psi is proper.

It is a good idea to read the inflation and speed ratings that are molded into the tire sidewall.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #19
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Red face 65 psi cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottieMom View Post
Well, fortunately for me, there's a local tire shop in Albuquerque that carried Maxxis, so that's where I got mine. I just had them mounted on the rims that came with the TM. I have them inflated to 65 psi and I try to keep my speed around 65 mph (cruise control helps with that). I already had metal stems put in and I have TPMS sensors on them so I can monitor both temp and pressure while on the road.
yes, with the stock rims 65 psi is the limit for those rims....however, if you start out running 65 psi when the tire is cold (at the beginning of your day), once you have started down the road for about 30 minutes the tires will heat up (especially during the summer) and the tire pressure will go up as well. Depending on the load they could gain as much as 10 psi, which will put you at 75 psi., well over the pressure capacity limit of your stock rims (65psi). So if I were you, I would start out with 58-60 psi in my tires so as to have a little margin of safety for when they get hot. Does this seem reasonable? After all if you have a tire monitor you should be able to see this happen.
Tom
Old 07-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #20
Jampcourt

I used to be a tire and alignment guy in a previous life, and back then, all tire pressures recommended by manufacturers were for cold tire inflation. They took into account the increase in pressure that occurs while driving. Unless tire manufacturers have changed their practice since then, which seems unlikely, your tires will be slightly under inflated if set to a lower pressure when cold.
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote