TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
Burquena

Default Need Advice on WDH for 2720SL

I just recently purchased a 2008 2720SL - thanks to all of you on this forum (where I have been lurking!) I felt well prepared to make the leap! I am a real newbie, and I have tried to research the WDH issue and I feel like I now have so much information I am more confused than ever!
I am towing with a Dodge Dakota 4.7L v8, TM has A/C, no other major additions, although I'd like to add solar in the future. When I carry my inflatable boat, outboard, etc. it is stored in front of the rear axle in the truck bed, but now that I will need to carry water for the TM, it will be farther back and will add to tongue weight (correct?). I have not been able to take it to a scale yet, but would guess it will come in close to what others here have posted.
My question: if I go with a WDH at 1000# over one at 800#, will it be too much when I tow without the additional weight? (When not going to the lakes, that is). I am concerned about the ride being too stiff as mentioned in some of the posts.
Thank you!
Curt 600-800# WDH
Prodigy Brake Controller
15" load D tires
SeaEagle 124 SMB with Tohatsu 6HP outboard
65 lb Golden Retriever Cross
Burquena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Either will work fine, both are used by forum members with no problems. I wouldn't recommend traveling with water if you can avoid it. That will greatly reduce anything else you can carry. Water is 8.3 pounds times 26 gallons or 215.8 lbs if you fill the hot water tank. Plus another 3 gals in toilet all of which is on the same side of the camper. Then add in the weight of the battery on the same side. It gets even worse if you have the optional 40 gal tank

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I agree with Scrubjay; however if you're boondocking, then you'll need to carry your water. If that is the case, then not only, will you need the WDH, you will also need to make sure your TM tires are up to the task. Ideally you'll want, load range "D" or "E" tires that are no older than three to four years old.

I personally have not noticed any difference in the ride of my rig, no matter how much or how little weight I'm carrying.

Congrats on getting your TM and welcome to the forum.

Happy camping !

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Second the bit about the tires is very important. While with a WDH some of the weight is transferred to the front axle of the TV, the bulk of the transfer is onto the trailer axle. If the tires are already near the limit, wellll. Tires are probably more important on the TM than on others particularly with the choice to go with a single axle. With a tandem trailer, loss of a tire is annoying, with a single axle it is more than that.

In my case I am not concerned about the tongue weight, it is inside my safe towing weigh, rather the change in attitude, about an inch drop at the hitch. I have not noticed anything but it will change the headlamp positioning.

So I have purchased a pair of air lifts designed to compensate by fitting inside the rear coil springs & raising the rear end back to the stock position. This does not change the load on any axle, just the TV attitude.

They also give some information about using with a WDH including the fact that a WDH should never exceed the rated tongue weight of the TV.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Burquena

Default And About the tires

Thanks for the feedback - I am first getting the TV ready (wired for the TM and brake controller) and then taking the TM over for a good inspection of the axle, brakes and such. I am planning to replace the current 14" tires with 15" higher load rating if I have the clearance. If not, I will at least go with the higher rated 14" for now. Etrailer has a couple of options for the 14's. The TM is currently set up as it required A LOT of cleaning and minor interior attention so I'll have to wait until I close it to look at the wheel well clearance. I will get under it today and look to see if there is a lift kit.
Question: when I have them look at the TM, besides general condition of the axle, brakes, bearings ( I will have them repacked this time) what else would you suggest inspecting?
Thank you all for your help - I cannot tell you how much the information and support on this forum helped me to go forward with my purchase!
Curt 600-800# WDH
Prodigy Brake Controller
15" load D tires
Old 10-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

On the outer edge of the driver's side door is a sticker with a lot of interesting (and arcane!) numbers printed on it. Look for the one that shows Gross Axle Weight Rating (Rear). This is the maximum total weight that the rear axle is designed to carry safely. You didn't mention the year or model details of your Dakota, so I can't look it up, but I bet the GAWR(R) is about 3800 pounds. Note that the 3800 pounds includes the weight that the truck itself puts on the rear axle, plus the contributions of whatever you put in the truck cab and bed, plus the weight on the trailer hitch.

When you get loaded up with the toys and the TM, you will be carrying a lot of weight on the rear axle, and I bet you exceed the GAWR, probably by a substantial amount. This is not good. A WDH will remove some of the hitch weight (a couple hundred pounds, maybe) from the rear axle, and move some of it to the front axle, and some of it back to the TM axle again. I'm not at all sure that a WDH will get you below your trucks GAWR-Rear, but it will certainly help.

Padgett notes correctly that helper springs/air bags will not reduce the rear axle load, and I am very much against their use, for reasons described more completely in the TM Technical Reference Library on this site. As they say, to each his own - but don't install them and let them fool you into thinking you have improved the weight situation. You haven't.

So how do you find out how much weight is actually on the rear axle? Best way is simply to weigh it. Load up your rig with all the toys, all the cargo, all the water you plan to carry, all the people that will be in the truck - load it as it you were getting to go camping, in other words - and take it to a CAT scale. They are everywhere
http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator
For about $10, it weighs all three axles simultaneoulsy and individually, and gives you a printout. I highly recommend it, especially in your case.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
davlin
TrailManor Master

+1 on Bill's comments. An additional consideration, and the one that pushed me to the WDH, is the tongue weight limitations on your TV hitch. With a 2720, I wouldn't expect that would be a problem, but it's good to know what your loaded tongue weight is. Tongue weight capacity varies from hitch to hitch so you need to be sure that your hitch's "undistributed" tongue weight capacity will exceed your TM's tongue weight before you even consider not having a WDH. TM 3124 models push or exceed 600 lbs. Do NOT use the TM's specs to figure your loaded tongue weight.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
Burquena

Thank you all for your replies. Bill is correct, the GAWR is 3806 lbs. I purchased a CURT WDH today and a Prodigy brake controller. Once those are in, I can hit the CAT scale and see where I am starting from. I would love to take the TM out soon, but I will be patient and make sure everything is in place to be safe first.
Curt 600-800# WDH
Prodigy Brake Controller
15" load D tires
Old 10-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Mine is 3700 and with a 50-50 distro that is about 2300 on the rear axle. Add in 470 tongue (measured) with a class IV, still can carry nearly a 1/2 ton more. Don't intend to but could.

Now if you look back at my post I said the air lifts were not intended to add any load, rather they are intended to level the TV to keep the headlamps adjusted. I could do the same with stiffer rear springs but this is adjustable.

I also have the advantage that my heep also has sway control built in. So no I am not using in an attempt to add capacity over the rating or reduce sway but rather just to keep the headlamps aimed properly.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

WDH have a tongue weight operating specifications for the spring bars. This is not the case where more is better. Sometime the spring specifications are hard to find. But I would stay within the upper and lower specifications or you will have rough ride. For a 2720, which I would expect the loaded tongue weight to be between somewhere in the high 300 and 500 lbs. I would be looking at 600 LB bars. I know the reese 600 bars have a operation specifications for tongue weight between something like 300 to 600 lbs. I would not buy a WDH that the spring bar specifications are outside the tongue weight of the trailer. I bought a 600 for my 2720 and I had a very good 1,000 lb spring bar WDH in my garage. To re-spring a WDH the cost cn be as much or more as buying a new WDH.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote