TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #21
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Only have one short 80 mile trip under the belt now pulling our 3023 with the Tacoma but I think it is going to be fine with the equalizer hitch. Definitely feel the load back there though on hills because I am so accustomed to the old pop-up that was less than half the size and weight.

No problems with braking but I am not eager to get into heavy traffic just yet. Time will tell as I get more familiar with pulling and backing where I can't see over the top.

On paper it's fine with 6500 max tow, 650 tounge wt., 128" wheelbase. But I am definitely going to monitor the tranny temps next outing just for reference.
So, how is the equalizer hitch working for you. Which model did you get by the way? I am looking at that for my 3124KD.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #22
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by funpilot View Post
So, how is the equalizer hitch working for you. Which model did you get by the way? I am looking at that for my 3124KD.

It is a well used Equalizer brand if I recall correctly, and it was included when we got the used 3023. Will have to check on the model number. But it seems to level out the squat on the Tacoma pretty well. I haven't taken the time to measure everything out exactly for adjusting it yet. Just went with what the PO had but I did raise the adjustment on the trailer toungue a notch due to the softer rear springs on the Tacoma.
I believe the PO had an F-150.

Both trailer and TV seem to be riding pretty level.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #23
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I am trying to visualize what a weight distributing hitch does and the only thing I can figure is that it acts as a spring with one end tied to the receiver and the other a few feet back along the trailer tongue. This creates a force moment focussed upward at the receiver and downward a few feet back on the tongue.

In simpler terms, any weight removed from the receiver must go somewhere and in this case it is added to the trailer axle. Given the known tire/axle limitations on my 2720SL, I really do not want to transfer any more weight onto the axle.

Besides, when I hitch the TM to my heep (470 lbs measured TW), the rear only drops about an inch. If the inch were a bother, I'd add airlifts ($100) to the TV but I've never experienced any sway even at sprints to 70 mph (usual cruise is 65). Of course if my traction control is working properly, I wouldn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weightequal.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	10752  
Old 10-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #24
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I have towed my TM with and without my WDH. My F150 is more than capable to tow without it all the time, for it has a 11,000 pound max tow capacity. When I put the TM onto the receiver it only drops the rear of the truck one and a half inches, but when traveling I can really feel the difference when the WDH is not hooked up. When it's hooked up the truck and trailer feel like one unit, solid, but when it's not hooked up I can feel the trailer moving independently from the truck, especially on bad roads. So now I always use it, even for short weekend trips.

IMHO you should use a WDH, especially if you have a marginal TV. Safety should be your top priority.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #25
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I think Padgett may be correct. However, the way I look at it is the tongue weight is one component of the total weight of the trailer.
So I figure if the axle is supposedly rated for the total load of the trailer I can't exceeding anything on any of the three axles.

I have read that some of the larger TM models like mine already have an extra high tongue vs total weight than customary due to the extra length that is forward of the wheels.

I need to check out which axle is on my 3023 definitely though. Has 15 wheels and tires, but not sure if this automatically means a 5K axle or not.

And I concur with RedtailC, feels like one solid unit going down the road, no movement whatsoever with the trailer. The first trip bringing the trailer home I could feel the front of the truck riding slightly higher than normal, but still handled OK with the WDH. After adjusting it up a notch all I feel is the extra weight upon acceleration. Braking feels normal, maybe even better than without the trailer hooked up (due to the electric assist).
Old 10-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #26
Padgett
TrailManor Master

The easy way to tell with a Dexter axle is that the 3.5k axles have 5 bolt wheels but the 5k has 6 bolts (note: you can oder a 5k axle with 5 bolt spindles but then they derate the system to 3.5k lbs.).

That said I have a very sensitive coccyx having driven a lot of rigs and I could see an anti-sway hitch particularly in a pre-2012 vehicle without TC. I just would not want to transfer any weight from the receiver (470 lbs measured) back to the axle/wheels/tires which I consider marginal even though I have gone to much higher load rated wheels/tires than stock.

Will say that desite the 6 cyl engine (I like 6s), my Jeep Grand Cherokee has proven to be the best tow vehicle I've ever had (plug). Was just helping a friend move and drove to the coast (80 miles) picked up a 6x12 U-Haul tandem axle cargo trailer (biggest), filled it, towed down past Boynton Beach (about 140 miles), dropped contents and trailer, & leftlaned back to O'town. 428 miles since last fillup with about 1/8 tank left (generally I fill before 1/4 but was getting late on Sunday & was tired).

And come the apocalyse it can run on the product of a back yard still.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #27
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Yep, 6 bolt pattern on my 2003.

Another factor for me is the 05-11 Tacomas have built a reputation for weak (for a pickup truck, that is) rear springs from the factory. The published claim is 650 tongue capacity. but judging by the amount of squat, that must mean with no cargo or passengers and with two people standing on the front bumper.

There happens to be a recent recall out for pre-mature failure of the rear springs, I think mainly in rust prone areas of the country.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #28
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just a thought but might try this (if no rear sway bar)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #29
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Just a thought but might try this (if no rear sway bar)
Apparently you didn't read the link in Bill's post on page one of this thread?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #30
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I think one issue with using airbags/air shocks is you still have the same amount of extra weight directly on the rear axle and tires. It just looks like less because it isn't squatting as much. But if the axle is not dangerously overloaded or the two axles not way out of proportion maybe it is OK, I don't know?

I just know I am a believer in the WDH after only a couple short trips.