TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
chowder1974

Default Can Hot Water heater be set to Propane only?

Quick question this weekend i noticed when plugging in my generator that it was drawing more power than i expected, this is because the hot water heater kicked on because i was plugged in.

The generator immediately revved down once i dropped the outside panel flipped the switch on the hot water heater to OFF.

I tried igniting the hot water heater with that switch in the OFF position and it didn't seem to work. Should I be able to run on propane with the outisde hot water heater switch in the OFF position?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I. Should I be able to run on propane with the outisde hot water heater switch in the OFF position?
Yes, Electric operation and propane are independent.

Tim
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Scott O

Cautionary note: It is crucial that the water heater be full before you run it on electricity. Therefore, be sure to turn it off when closing down so the next time you use the TM the heater will not automatically go on until you have had a chance to purge any air through your hot water faucet. What will happen if you turn it on without the tank being full? You will fry the heating element in about a millisecond. And has been mentioned, gas and electric operation are completely independent. You can use either independently or both at the same time to speed up heating.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder1974 View Post
Quick question this weekend i noticed when plugging in my generator that it was drawing more power than i expected, this is because the hot water heater kicked on because i was plugged in.

The generator immediately revved down once i dropped the outside panel flipped the switch on the hot water heater to OFF.

I tried igniting the hot water heater with that switch in the OFF position and it didn't seem to work. Should I be able to run on propane with the outisde hot water heater switch in the OFF position?
In regards to your third paragraph.... You may have to purge the air from the gas line before it ignites. If you have not run the propane side for the heater,turn on the stove top and light the burners. That will at least get the gas to that portion of the TM gas line. Then turn on the heater switch under the counter and illuminate the red light. If the light goes off, it's lit. If the light goes off and then comes back on red, it did not lite. Turn off the switch for a moment and turn back on again. You may have to toggle the switch more than twice if you have not used the gas side of the heater for some time.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
PopBeavers

My propane purge sequence:

I light the stove. This allows me to know that there is propane in the lines. The stove is also pretty close to the tanks. The furnace is closer but I skip that.

Then I light the water heater. It is self lighting. It will click for awhile and then pause. It will then click for awhile again. I can hear where the gas lights.

Then I light the fridge. If the water heater is lit then I know there is gas to the rear of the fridge. Lighting the fridge requires purging air from only a short section of gas line. Lighting the fridge requires holding a button in. Because the water heater has already been lit the amount of time I spend holding the fridge button in is minimal.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
wmtire

A good source to help explain the water heater is Bill's document located here. You can view it in either pdf or word format.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2457

Another good source is Mike and Kelly's manual located here. It helps with all TrailManor owners and the processes involved with TrailManor campers. I printed this one out and put it in a binder, to keep in my trailer at all times.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2472
Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
moaboy

I have found that if the water is cold, I can run both gas and electric. But if the water is already hot, my propane will not kick on. This has happened consistently. Both work well, I just can't add the propane if I already have a hot tank of water. Not sure if there is some type of thermostat that kicks in and regulates this in conjunction with the electric or if I have already reached the max set water temp and the electric is also not kicking on, but I can't tell like I can with the gas.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
I have found that if the water is cold, I can run both gas and electric. But if the water is already hot, my propane will not kick on. This has happened consistently. Both work well, I just can't add the propane if I already have a hot tank of water. Not sure if there is some type of thermostat that kicks in and regulates this in conjunction with the electric or if I have already reached the max set water temp and the electric is also not kicking on, but I can't tell like I can with the gas.
There are 2 separate thermostats for the water heater. One for gas that is factory set for 110° & one for electric that is factory set for 120°.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Default Suburban Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
There are 2 separate thermostats for the water heater. One for gas that is factory set for 110° & one for electric that is factory set for 120°.
I found this in the 2008 Suburban W/H Manual that came w/My TM! It says we have a non ajustable therm, factory set @ 130 degree' and there is a 180 Degree limit switch that will cause the manual reset button to trip! Water must drop below 110 Degree's to be able to reset the switch!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Scott O

I need to measure ours, but the water always has been hot enough to burn. It is much hotter than we have in our home and we have to be very careful using it. No kids allowed!