TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Default Buying a Tundra

Hi all,

We're looking at buying a 2WD (we're retired, if we need 4WD we're gonna stay home), 4.6L V8 Tundra Double Cab (sigh, for the two 70 pound dogs). Toyota doesn't sell the 2WD in "this region" so we're going to have to go to Kansas to get it. We're willing to spend the money for what we need but don't want to throw money away. Both the larger engine and larger vehicle add thousands of dollars to the base price and loss of MPG. Thoughts?

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Don't see why that won't work well for you. This is our 2nd year to haul the TM with the Dodge quad cab and without the jon boat this year we are close to what we got when towing the pop-up in 2010.
The neighbor had the 4X4 version of the Tundra and it did great for them on a 120 mile round trip commute until a garbage truck turned into it.

Your on your own for dealers though.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

It seems crazy to us that a dealer would say, "That isn't available in this region." So go give a dealer in the neighbor state $30K . . .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Seems crazy to me, too. The dealers are all linked on a private dealer network, so in 30 seconds, he can see exactly which delaer has what vehicles in inventory. I have never run into a dealer who would go get a distant vehicle FOR FREE, but I have never run into one who would not get it for you if you were willing to pay a delivery charge. Does he understand that you really will walk - you're not bluffing - if he doesn't deliver your chosen vehicle to you?

Are you perhaps squeezing him a little too tight? Has he counteroffered?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

We are in no way, shape or form bluffing. They offered to have it shipped here for $1.25 a mile, $800. We can pick it up for: a day there and a day back, max, a few hundred in gas and a cheap hotel. Again, we're retired so the days don't really cost. I googled "Toyota Regions" and then on and on to even find the truck we wanted. They just said "No".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I bought a Tundra with the 4.7 V8 2WD back a few years ago. My local dealer did not have what we wanted for specifications. Tow Package, leather, TRD sport package, etc. They found one in Lubbock, several hundred miles away from Houston and they traded a vehicle that dealer needed and we waited one week for delivery. 138k miles later and two TM's later, we have had nothing but blissful ownership. This vehicle has lived up and met all my expecations for towing and durability. With a max tow capacity of 7100 and cargo of 1200 lbs, we are always within limit. Other than oil and tires and a battery, no service issues of any kind. Knock on the hard wood of my head that is... My son says I told him he could have it when I'm done with it and he will have to wait a few more years. Since Dec. we have driven and towed the TM 5000 miles across the western states and Texas.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Sweet, that's what we're hoping for!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Redhawk

Our '06 Tundra is great, on our first long trip, my DW was worried about riding cross country in a "TRUCK" LOL she was surprised to discover it was more comfortable than our cars. I love the Tundra!

Is there that big a difference in price between 2wd and 4wd when you figure in delivery and resell value? And I was curious what the MPG difference is? Just curious really. If you ever have to sell it, you'll lose a lot due to the 2wd.

I have used the 4wd several times to get where I needed and in bad rain, I'd still be stuck in the sand on the outter banks if not for 4wd, trucks are too squirrely in bad weather for me to not have 4wd. That's me though...not meaning to try and convince you of anything. Just more info...
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

The one thing that was a deal breaker was we wanted leather seating. Dealer could not locate and Toyota does not do special orders. They manufacture what they want the dealers to have and thats it. We had to wait for delivery and then send the truck back to Gulf States Toyota dealer prep and add a leather package to the vehicle. Xtra $1000 to remove the fabric and add leather to the seats and door panels. After 9 years, it still looks new. I use the dealer leather conditioner once a year. No loss of detail or comfort. I would imagine with your pets, the fabric upholstery would take a beating from stains, toe nails, etc. You might consider the interior choice for your needs. I also added air springs to the rear suspension to accommodate carrying a 700lb motorcycle. And the tailgate extender bed enclosure. Oh yea, and the bed liner....

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
brulaz

Not sure about Toyota, but there may be a difference in ride quality between a 4x4 and 4x2. I noticed a big diff going to our 4x2. It's a softer, smoother ride and great when not towing, but when towing it may be a bit too soft. A trade-off to be sure.

Or it could just be the P-rated tires in the new truck. I'll be getting stiffer LT-rated tires eventually, and we'll see.