TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
raddad

Default favorite brake controller

Trying to prepare for the upcoming camping season. We purchased a new
2011 2720 sl in october and have not went further than the back yard to
park it for the winter. It is time to get the tv ready,and I am wondering what brake controller we should use? TV is 2008 Kia Sorrento 3.8l auto
Thanks in advance for your experiences and knowledge
Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Camperwantabe

Default Brake Controller

Congrats on purchasing a TM. I'm using a P3 Electric brake controller. I have it hooked up to a Honda Pilot and I really like how it sets up. Really easy to wire and the directions are easy to follow.

Have fun.

M&L
2005 3023 TM
2004 Honda Pilot TV
Reese 1000# wdh
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I can not comment on the Prodigy P3, because I have never read the specifications.

The original Prodigy had two limitations that I did not like:

1. It could not be mounted vertically. It could be tilted, but there was an angle limit.

2. The manual said that if you pulled the pin for the trailer brakes while the Prodigy was connected that it MIGHT damage the Prodigy.

Limitation 1 was a problem for me and I thought it was silly that they designed something that had limit 2.

So I bought the Valley Industries Odyssey. It is a Prodigy knock off that eliminated those two design limitations.

If I were buying a controller I would look first at the P3. If it is acceptable then buy it. If it still has the same two limitations then look at the current model, assuming there is one, from Valley Industries. After that would be the older prodigy.

There are other controllers. Stay away from the time based controllers. A search will find a lot of information as to why they are a bad idea.

There are two other technologies. BrakeSmart and Jordan, if I recall correctly. One of them uses a cable connected to the brake pedal. The other taps into the hydraulic brake fluid line. I think Jordan is in limbo due to reorganization, but may be very old news.

My 2002 Chevy Crew Cab has the Valley Industries Odyssey. My 2008 GMC Crew Cab has the IBC (Integrated Brake Controller). The GMC IBC can simulate ABS brakes on the trailer when ABS is engaged in the TV.

I like the IBC much more than the Odyssey. If I was buying a TV today I would only look at ones that had IBC. But that is beyond the scope of your question. You already have the TV.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Has been discussed before, most seem to prefer:

Tekonsha Electronic Prodigy P3 Brake Control

Second choice

Tekonsha Electronic Prodigy P2 Brake Control

You can do a search for more info:

a link to a p3 users manual here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=p3#post83472

Tim
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

I use a p3. I like it because I have hauled uphills and down hills and thru traffic and it has been for me pretty much idiot proof if it has been correctly set
Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddad View Post
It is time to get the tv ready,and I am wondering what brake controller we should use?
My usual advice.

1. Read the brake controller tutorial in the Trail Manor Technical Library at the top of this forum. It is also called TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else (hate that name). The tutorials will keep you from making bad mistakes.

2. Buy a controller that uses the word "inertial" or "proportional" in the description. There are many, but they cost a bit more than the cheapies.

3. I am kind of A.R. about this, I know, but I REALLY want a controller that will read out amps of brake current instead of volts of brake voltage. It is amps that run the brakes, not volts. And it is lack of amps that will tell you that something is wrong, while the volts reading will keep whistling merrily along. I currently have an otherwise-excellent Prodigy controller that reads volts only, and I am getting ready to sell it at a discount and buy a controller that will read amps. We had a discussion about this sometime back, at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11688.

4. Wayne, I loved my Jordan controller, and would buy another in a heartbeat. But it eventually died, and I discovered that Jordan is gone for good. Not reorganizing, but gone. Hence my Prodigy.

Raddad, welcome aboard, and welcome to TMing. I know you can make a good choice in this very important area.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Raddad,
I went from a Reese Time delay to the P3 world of difference. As Bill said amp reading is better then volts but after around 12k miles last year I can live with the P3 fine.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
brulaz

My understanding is that you can check the amps with the P3, but it's not on the regular readout. On the options menu or something? Yes/no?

Anyway, if you can test the amps before your daily drive, that would at least tell you that the wiring was ok to begin with.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
PopBeavers

My IBC displays a number above the progress bar. It is usually around 7 when braking moderately. I have no idea what the 7 means. Time to go read the truck manual.

It appears to me that the GMC IBC is the same technology as the Jordan. Maybe a bit improved because it will pulse the TM brakes when ABS in the truck is engaged. I have never heard of any brake using the pulsing technique except the one that I have.

But, getting a GM IBC requires buying a different truck. Probably out of everyone's budget. Butt, when buying a new TV I would certainly look for it. Big improvement over my Prodigy knock-off.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
klv5920

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddad View Post
Trying to prepare for the upcoming camping season. We purchased a new
2011 2720 sl in october and have not went further than the back yard to
park it for the winter. It is time to get the tv ready,and I am wondering what brake controller we should use? TV is 2008 Kia Sorrento 3.8l auto
Thanks in advance for your experiences and knowledge
Could I suggest etrailer.com as a web site to check out brake controllers?
I bought my P3 from there, excellent service and very quick.

Karen