TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Default Camping Night Light

If you have younger children who are apt to wake up at night and get a bit confused as to where they are at when camping, we've found the 12 hour light sticks hung from the roof A/C are a great night light. Just enough light to get out of bed when they wake up and straighten out their sleeping bags that are 90 degrees out-of-whack from when you put them to bed, but not enough light bother anyone.

Kevin
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Pirkups

Default Re:Camping Night Light

We use the little plug-in night lights; one in the bathroom is especially nice - and one in the plug-in by the fridge works well for the rest of the area. Also have a battery-powered lantern for dry camping...nice to be able to see at night!
Old 09-04-2003, 06:28 AM   #3
arknoah

We basically so what D&L do, except we use the flate LED-type night lights that put out a soft glow, cost almost nothing to use and last forever. We used to use regular night lights, but whether it was the kids or me, we would occasionally bump into them and break the bulb or the fixture itself. Since these are flat, you don't bump into them.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:27 PM   #4
Eutychus

Kevin, thanks for the suggestion. It looks like we will do mainly dry camping and so we will be trying to conserve the batteries. We have one of those LED tent lights that we have left on until the little ones fall asleep but it would be good to have something that would last all night.

What a great idea for an improvement to the camper-- a little one LED bulb night light in the bathroom or over the kitchen. Little cost, little battery drain, lots of benefit. I think I need to start a list of little improvements I want to make in the trailer.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:59 AM   #5
Happytrails

I remember Chem lights from the army, a constant source of amusement. While in active duty, we used to send the new guys down to get batteries for them from the armorer! And yes, they'd actually go down there asking about em......and if that wasn't funny enough, I remember a specific night we spent at a local lake in my local guard unit. There was this sgt who's hooch was right beside mine and my buddy's, he knew we hung a chem light up above it before we went down the hill for the evening "nightime land navigation course" which basically meant chasing those little chem lights all night as they were at the "points". As it so happened, my buddy and I were the very first people off the course, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to move our little chem light above our "area" 50-75 meters completely away from EVERYTHING hoping to play a joke on this particular Sgt. Well, there were both the Roanoke, Va. guard guys there, (us) and Radford, Va. guard......which not many of us really knew any of the Radford boys. Well, sometimes a joke can really cascade, with the exception of my best friend who walked right up the hill and found us right away. (Another former full time active duty infantry guy), EVERY SINGLE PERSON that came off the course walked to that little chemlight looking around for their hooch! So here's me, and two other guys snickering our bu**'s off when FINALLY along comes said Sgt...along with another Sgt who was definately a charactor.....who yes, walked straight to the chemlight hanging in the woods NOWHERE NEAR ANY HOOCHES! So here they go walking around all over the place looking for their beds, and every time they'd start getting closer, and yes, calling my name all the while, we'd say Sgt Frith? (There was no Sgt Frith in our Roanoke group, but knowing full well he didn't know any Sgts names from the Radford group, welp, you can imagine just how funny that was)! ("Oh, I must be in the Radford boy's area, they're not here&quot Yes, it was pitch black dark, and we had the two of them wandering around for a good half hour looking for their bed for the night......chuckle, right after they came off a nighttime land navigation course........... ;D

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails...........[/glow]
Old 09-07-2003, 07:04 PM   #6
k_and_p_camping

We have just moved up to a trailmanor, we had used tent trailers for the last 18 years. We have found that a plug in night light works well when we have electrical hookups . We have also found that for those time we don't have electric hookups (usually in Colorado) that a light we bought at Wal-Mart works well. It is an Eveready folding LED light about 3 inches wide, 4 inches high and 1 to 2 inches thick. It has a switch to select either 1 or 2 leds. Each led is in a plastic tube which gives off a nice soft light. They are supposed to last up to 200 hours on a set of batteries and the light itself cost less than $9.00. One led gives off more than enough light to get around at night. We have used it several nights over the last two years and we are still on the first set of batteries.

Kevin S, better half ;D to Pam S
Old 09-07-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
Windbreaker

I can't understand all the problems with night lights, my wife has tried at least 10 different ways to shut light out of the TM at night. Her big problem are the overhead vents, claims she gets no sleep with all that moon light.
>
I wouldn't know, I sleep fine.
;D
(go ahead and say it ladies "Isn't that just like a man!&quot
:P
Old 09-07-2003, 11:01 PM   #8
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Thanks to all who mentioned the LED night light. I have had my eye on the superbright LED flashlights for a while now (bright, last a long time -- still fairly expensive), but did not know about the smaller one or two LED lights. Planning on picking one up.

Kevin

LED Nightlight link: http://www.energizer.com/products/fl...cat=4&id=9
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
FotoCEO

Default Electroluminescent Night Lights

I've had the same electroluminescent night lights throughout my house for more than 15 years. They do tend to develop dark spots (which aren't pretty, but they are still usable), but I love them for several reasons:
1) they don't affect my night vision
2) they are flat
3) they are cool (temp.)
4) they only use 1/16 of a watt
5) and obviously they last a very long time
Old 08-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Scott O

Back in the day when we had a motorhome and kids, I got a single led and lens from Radio Shack. Wired it in with a small plate and switch and we had an amazing light. Not too brite and worked on 12v with very little drain. Have no idea how I wired it, but it must have been easy.