TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Talking Florida to Alaska to Florida in 50 days

Yeah! We did it! Our trip was nearly flawless. A few minor battery charging problems but nothing I couldn't handle! The TrailManor is slightly worn from all the shaking, rattling and rolling on the ALCAN Hwy! Nothing broken though. Lots of learning in the process though! How to insulate this and how to store that, It all became routine!

To anyone thinking about going to Alaska, My only suggestion is to stay in the USA to Washington State! We crossed the border in North Dakota and will always regret it! The fuel prices skyrocketed and our fuel economy dropped by 2miles per gallon! Along with that it was and endless view of Canola in bloom on flat land! British Columbia was a welcome site for its scenic value! BTW, the fuel prices continued to rise as we went west! The worst was in The Yukon @ $1.76 per litre ($155.00 to fill tank). By comparison the lowest was in Saskatchewan @ $1.09 per Litre! Don't get me started on how much they charge for Ice in Canada! Roflmao! All in all we blew a pile of money in Canada over and above USA cost! If you use a MC or Visa you are charged a healthy conversion rate on your bill! Sorry for the "RANT" but that is the only part of the trip I wish I had done more research on!

Oh by the way, Our final Border Crossing back to the state we were searched, Trailmanor and all! They said the TrailManor triggered a sensor of some sort! Never gave us a good explanation but did apologize for our inconvenience!

It looks like I am running out of space so will write more about Alaska soon! It was sooooooo worth it!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Scottie Dogs

Wow! what a great story Earl thanks so much for sharing. I am not sure if I am up to that kind of trip, got to give you guys so much credit for doing this, life long memories with the TM. I am very interested if you saw any Trail Manors on your trip, I never see any on our trips. I would love to meet a TM owner in a campground that would be so neat, and we could share things and knowledge.

Dave
Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up

Hi Dave,

Our trip was on the spur of the moment! Otherwise we might have talked ourselves out of it! LOL! We had planned to go next year but ,with all the crap going on in the world, we decided to go while the going was good!

We saw three TM's! The first one was in, Toad Creek Campground near Watson Lake in The Yukon! The couple were on their way to Alaska with their two teenage sons. They got to Whitehorse, Yukon and got a call that her dad had died in Wisconsin.. They were on their way back home when we met them! We sat around a campfire and talked after our dinner at the camp diner! The second sighting was in Teslin, Yukon on our way back! It was just a sighting as the small blue SUV pulled its TM out of a gas station near the campground we had just gotten set up in. It looked like they were riding pretty low! I said a prayer for them as they crossed the bridge! The third, again, was just a sighting. We passed each other going in different directions on a two lane road headed into The Badlands of South Dakota! When I realized it was a TM it was to late to even blow the horn! Reflexes ain't what they used to be!! LOL!

We truly enjoyed our Adventure and can now Cherrish the Memories for Life!

PS: The couple we met knew nothing of the forum! I hope that the other two might read this and respond if members!

2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
klv5920

Was thinking of you today, wondering how your trip was going. Can't wait to hear about your adventures!!
Karen
Old 08-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
TexasCamper

A spur of the moment 50day trip to AK and back! Now that's the spirit of adventure! What places did you visit? I'm hoping to go there when I get more vacation time. Any pictures to share?
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Wink Retirement is the key!

We entered Alaska and stayed in Tok then on to Fairbanks, Denali, Wasilla, Ft Richardson in Anchorage, Kenai (The Salmon arrived in the river the day we got there and couldn't find a campsite), Ninilchick, Homer, Palmer, Glennallen, Valdez and back to Tok. It was a full round trip of the state, atleast where the roads were navigable with the TM! The roads were in fine condition nearly everywhere! The Yukon was by far the worst condition but are always under repair! Once you uderstand that the little red flags all along the road mean "Crawl" and not just slow down, you've got it made! I learned to follow other RV's at a distance and when I saw their rear wheels leave the ground, I had time to reduce to a crawl! That is if dust permitted!

We've been home for 4 days now and after the third day My DW told Me She is ready to hit the road again! I am all for it but just wish there was someplace cooler to go that wasn't so far away!

2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Mrfixit

We lived in Fairbanks for about 3 years in the early 90's. Left there and headed for Key West to start a charter sailboat business. We tent-camped all but about 5 nights and visited 28 states in the process. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. The odometer on our little Ford Ranger ticked over just at the 10,000 mile mark as we entered Key West!
Gandy (Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot)

'03 2720SL
Swing hitch, Roof AC, Attwood elect. tongue jack, Stereo, 2.5" lift kit, 15" Kenda Loadmaster Tires (Load Range D)

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7 liter Hemi), Prodigy P2, Curt 600# WDH, McKesh Mirrors
Mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
bvmcbid

Default Another Florida to Alaska Odyssey

Hi -

On May 2, we left Fort Myers Beach, FL and drove to Seward, AK (to attend a wedding), then back to Colorado for the summer. We were a little slower (53 days, 12,078 miles), and we agree with everything on your report. British Columbia is so beautiful, and the roads in the Yukon are a trial. The Yukon was pretty boring, mile-after-mile of black spruce, although crossing the Yukon at Dawson City by ferry was fun.

Our 2004 Toyota 4runner, with 133,000 miles at the start, and our 2004 3124KB were both new to us at the start and both performed just great, although the TM front section became harder and harder to open up, necessitating re-adjustment when we returned.

As reported above, the gas was at the highest price in the history of mankind, but we pretty much put it out of our minds during the trip.

On the way back, we went across to Alberta and visited Jasper and Banff and heartily recommend that route as well.

TM: 2008 2720SD, Lift kit, 15" 225/75 R15 Marathon tires, 507 Truck System Tech. TPMS, swing tongue
TV: 2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 4wd "Moose"

TM History: 2004 3124KB
bvmcbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM-JLM View Post
We entered Alaska and stayed in Tok then on to Fairbanks, Denali, Wasilla, Ft Richardson in Anchorage, Kenai (The Salmon arrived in the river the day we got there and couldn't find a campsite), Ninilchick, Homer, Palmer, Glennallen, Valdez and back to Tok. It was a full round trip of the state, atleast where the roads were navigable with the TM! The roads were in fine condition nearly everywhere! The Yukon was by far the worst condition but are always under repair! Once you uderstand that the little red flags all along the road mean "Crawl" and not just slow down, you've got it made! I learned to follow other RV's at a distance and when I saw their rear wheels leave the ground, I had time to reduce to a crawl! That is if dust permitted!

We've been home for 4 days now and after the third day My DW told Me She is ready to hit the road again! I am all for it but just wish there was someplace cooler to go that wasn't so far away!

Sorry Earl I thought I mentioned the diver down flags along the highway

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

You did scrubjay but it didn't sink in till the experience of riding a bucking bronco jogged my memory! Soon after that wild ride Joan found the same info in the MilePost

2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]