TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
fallsrider

Default Storage at home

DW and I are starting to consider if an older 2518 (assuming we can find one) might work for us. I'm having to consider our Sienna minivan as the TV, so there's the 3,500 limit to consider. We have 2 kids to consider, as well.

How do you all who store your TMs at home leave them? Do you leave them set up so you can come and go as you please, or do you fold them down when you don't need to be in there? We currently have a pop-up, so we will leave it down most of the time to protect the canvas and keep it clean.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

I'm a fan of folding the trailer for storage. It's easier to cover, a smaller target for falling branches, and probably more weather tight folded, too.

I would tow a TM with a Sienna, but I would also plan to travel light and weigh in order to keep an eye on the axle weight limits. A weight distributing hitch is mandatory, of course.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I keep mine down so I can park it in the garage.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
M&M Hokie

I keep mine down so I can park it in garage too; however, I have found that during camping season when we go every weekend or two, this is a bit of a pain. I am wprking to buy a house that has a side yard RV parking area so that I can leave it up for more extended durations as needed.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
boater454

We pull our 2518 with a Dodge Carvan with no problems. I store it up, inside a barn.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
fallsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
....A weight distributing hitch is mandatory, of course.
I agree completely. We would be purchasing one immediately if the unit we would buy didn't include one.

I installed AirLift 1000 air bags on our van about 3 years ago. That works great for a pop-up, but would be woefully inadequate for a larger trailer.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsrider View Post
I installed AirLift 1000 air bags on our van about 3 years ago. That works great for a pop-up, but would be woefully inadequate for a larger trailer.
Note that the sole purpose of a WDH is to shift weight from the rear axle of the TV to the front axle of the TV and the trailer axle. This is important because a heavy rear axle and light front axle on the TV can cause poor steering control, which can quickly lead to an accident.

The sole purpose of airbags is to lift the rear end or stiffen the ride. It does NOTHING to shift any weight. You need a WDH to shift weight, not simply to raise the rear end.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
I keep mine down so I can park it in garage too; however, I have found that during camping season when we go every weekend or two, this is a bit of a pain. I am wprking to buy a house that has a side yard RV parking area so that I can leave it up for more extended durations as needed.
With my TM parked in the garage, but prepped for a trip, from the time I get home from work until we hit the road I have down to an hour. Then I have to wait for my wife to do her stuff, whatever that is, so it really takes an hour and a half.

I can usually afford the hour. When I am in a real hurry I have it connected to the truck on the street.

I do not have a side yard.