TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
terryscottnichols

Default jeep wrangler towing

Has anyone tried towing a trailmanor with a jeep wrangler with a 4.0 at highway speeds?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscottnichols View Post
Has anyone tried towing a trailmanor with a jeep wrangler with a 4.0 at highway speeds?
I am sure there will be someone who has done this, but I have a Grand Cherokee 4.0 and I would certainly not be comfortable towing my TM with it. The short wheelbase adds an additional negative to the equation.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
RogerR

I have towed my 2720SL for about 12,000 miles with a Jeep Liberty with the diesel engine.

I am not sure how a wrangler is weight wise but mine is about as small as I would go.

EHow suggests that a Wrangler is less tow capable than a Liberty. It shows a tow capacity of 2,000 pounds. That is way less than you need! My son has a Grand Cherokee and has towed our trailer with no problems but it is much bigger than a Wrangler.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
mtnguy

The only Jeep Wrangler that I would consider towing a Trailmanor would be the JK 4 door models, and that would be with the Trailmini only. The 2 door models just have too short of a wheelbase to even consider such a thing.

The 4 door JKs properly equipped are rated to tow 3500 lbs. That should include a 3500 lb. Class II hitch, which is rated for a 350 tongue weight trailer. The Trailmini lists the tongue weight as 260 lbs., so you would have to be really careful to stay lite with that. A Class II hitch is not rated for a WDH.

The Jeep Wrangler towing package includes just a 4 pin wiring harness, so you would have to run the extra wires for 12v, brake, and back-up lights to a Bargman Connector.

I looked into a Jeep 4 door JK when I had my 2720, and realized that the Trailmanor was way to too much for the JK. But a Trailmini is a whole different ball game, and might make an interesting combination.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have a Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L engine, and have towed a 1,500 lb boat with it for at least 25,000 miles. Acceleration is not very affected, but there is a noticeable effect on braking. It's still comfortable though. However, one time after going through some mountains, I went to change the oil and found the paint on oil filter was blistered. So obviously the oil got pretty hot.

The Cherokee has the same engine as your Wrangler, but has a substantially longer wheelbase.....but it's still short for towing. A loaded TM will weigh much more than 1,500 lbs....more like 4,000 lbs as many of us have reported after taking them to a scale. Having towed my TM with my Sequoia, I would not attempt to tow it with the Cherokee, that's for sure.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
w120013

Tows fine with my Jeep Wranlger Sahara Unlimited
Old 06-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

How well does it stop in an emergency?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
rumbleweed

I posted this a while back, but think it needs to be posted again here. I have seen humans pull jet airliners across a parking lot, but I do not consider that towing something. A Wrangler will move a TM2720SL down a flat road and stop it under normal circumstances. Any hills and you will stress the engine, trans and brakes. I would be very concerned about anything but flat travel with that setup. The other thing to consider, is you could be held negligently liable if you caused an accident and someone was injured. I would love to see you towing and enjoying a TM, but I also would like to see that be a pleasant experience.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I suppose it must depend on the sub-model of the Wrangler - are there such things?

I have a 2005 Wrangler X (aka TJ) 4WD with the 4.0L in-line 6 cylinder engine and a 6-speed manual transmission. It is a blast for bopping around the Sonoran Desert (Phoenix, etc). It has a 2" hitch receiver (aftermarket), but only a 4-pin electrical connector to the trailer. Oh, and it has a wicked awesomeTHUMPA THUMPA audio system, thanks to the original owner. It is rated for 2000 pounds of towing capacity. With a 4000-pound TM on the back - well, you get the idea.

Because of the short wheelbase (REALLY short!), I occasionally drop a hitch on it and use it to move my TM around the block and into the garage. No more than 10 mph anywhere. That is a really scary operation. The 400-pound-plus hitch weight of the TM drops the rear bumper at least 4 inches, and raises the front bumper almost as much. The rear tires bulge like desperate balloons. Steering sucks. Braking sucks. Acceleration, even to 10 mph, sucks. It is, as I said, scary.

I would not take this rig out on a major residential street, let alone a highway. I cannot imagine a factory or aftermarket "kit" of any kind that would change this conclusion.

As I say, I love this particular vehicle - but it is in no sense a tow vehicle.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Keep in mind that there is a big difference between an older Wrangler and a current Wrangler Unlimited which has a longer wheelbase (116"), weighs over 4,000 lbs, and has the same engine, same automagic transmission, and the same brakes as my Grand Cherokee which has NP with my 2720SL. I just like my GC better & it gets about 10% better highway mpg.

BTW my Crossfire has the same six speed trans and think the ratios are much better suited to climbing a wall than a tiny sporty car with a SOHC V6..