TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
jkruman

Smile steps for bed in 3124KB

I am a new owner and need to find steps to use in my 3124KB so my wife and dog can get in and out of the king bed. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.
Joel
Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Al-n-Sue

Most RV supply places (local stores and online sites) have folding steps that work well. I've even seen a folding 2 step stool. Here is one example from CW
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ep-stool/37595
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
MisterP

Rubbermaid 2 step folding stepstool - have used them in all our RVs. Lightweight, durable and inexpensive. Plus I can take it outside to reach the top of the Ford!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
rumbleweed

The steps are oK for people, but not dog. We got an ottoman ( see below) at KMart that not only provides storage, but works well for the dog getting up and down from the bed. Strong enough for people as well. We found one that had same cover material as our sofa. It sits up front during the day and we put i next to the bed at night,

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...&blockType=G23
Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Digger

I glued carpet strips to the steps on our two step stool, now the dog isn't afraid to use it
Old 05-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
The steps are oK for people, but not dog. We got an ottoman ( see below) at KMart that not only provides storage, but works well for the dog getting up and down from the bed. Strong enough for people as well. We found one that had same cover material as our sofa. It sits up front during the day and we put i next to the bed at night,
This ottoman may be fine for a dog, but a 16 inch step is too high for most people, particularly with knee problems. Also, there is a risk of a fall if you don't hit the cube directly in the center and it tips over when you step on it. There is no ideal answer, but the post above about gluing carpet to a step seems to be a reasonable solution.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
n4qpcham

My wife has the same problem as Rumbleweed. She found a set of pet groomer's stairs at www.petedge.com for around $80. We bought the free-standing version as opposed to the hook-on-tub verson. They worked great except for one problem...they were about 3 inches too long end-to-end when opened and kept the bathroom door from closing. Also, the u-shaped support leg would not let the stairs slide closer to the bed. I ordered a set of the extension (hook) arms from the website and did some mods. First I drilled out the rivets on the u-shaped support leg and discarded it. Next I took the screws out of the top step and also drilled out the support/folding side arm's rivets. You will have to drill out the smaller holes on the side of the steps to where the rivets were connected. Then I turned the step around and reassembled the step with its folding/support arms, leaving off one arm on each side. I mounted pieces of swing set chain from the u-shaped support's connection slot to the free end of the step. The chain supports the end of the step towards the bed. Screws in the boxed side frame of the steps kept the extension (hook) arms from sliding past them, so I cut notches on the bottom of the extension arms to allow them to slide past the nuts and washer on the bottom. The screw head will deform the extension arm enough to allow it to slide over it. Doing this will allow the steps to clear the door.