TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
manorlife
BannedUsers

Default need reccomendation on a lift kit for my TV

I have been using this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OMVCIC/...SIN=B001OMVCIC

it works well, that is when the bags dont pop. recently went on a long trip (3000 miles) and had one side pop. Had the bag replaced and again somehow one lift bag poped. onlt this time I think it was pinched by the shock spring of the TV. the instructions say to keep the air pressure at a min 15 psi. whcih I checked befor the season but over time it may have gone below that? looking at the bags I see that the fail point is at the seam.

Now to clear the air... I do use a weight distributing hitch. The hitch IS calibrated properly. The TV and the trailer were both placed on a scale to verify that its not overloaded. ***so I'm not using this lift kit for any other purpose but to get an additional 1-2" of lift on the back tires of the toe vehicle. for me this is a mini van so like most mini vans is very close to the ground without the additional weight.

so I'm looking for a better lift system than these air bags. anyone using something better than this system? please advise. thanks
manorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
manorlife
BannedUsers

wow i'm surprised that there are so few minivan TV that pull the TM with this problem. I read on the board that many of you tow with a minivan. i am wondering what you do to bring the back tires a bit higher as they are already so low??? anyone?
manorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
brulaz

Maybe try another brand?
I know Firestone sells air springs as well. Mostly Trucks and SUVs though.
But here's one for the Honda Odyssey:
Firestone Air Spring for Odyssey
Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I have a set of Firestone air springs for several years now and they perform well. Had one develop a leak due to not keeping min. air pressure in them and it bottom out on a pot hole, Replaced the single and no issues since then. The mini van type the OP is asking about has to be used inside a rear coil spring and most tow vehicles utilize a leaf spring set-up.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by manorlife View Post

it works well, that is when the bags dont pop. recently went on a long trip (3000 miles) and had one side pop. Had the bag replaced and again somehow one lift bag poped. onlt this time I think it was pinched by the shock spring of the TV. the instructions say to keep the air pressure at a min 15 psi. whcih I checked befor the season but over time it may have gone below that? looking at the bags I see that the fail point is at the seam.

The specs say they should be able to handle 1000# of lift, and that ought to be enough to keep it from bottoming out, but maybe boosting it a couple inches isn't what they had in mind. I might call the manufacturer's installation/customer support number and give them a shot at diagnosing this.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote