TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
oilspot

Default Extra Storage

We're just about settled into our "new" 2720SL, but we still yearned for a little bit more organization.

Someone on the board mentioned an optional "microwave" stand that included an additional drawer. Well this sounded like a good solution for the gap between the stove and the wardrobe. Plus we really wanted an extra drawer!

I set out to build a simple drawer that would fit in the gap and finished it last weekend. The end result was a bit heavier than I had hoped; but was constructed entirely from scraps I had around the house (except for the drawer hardware).

The finished drawer has oak plywood, stained to match and a formica laminate floor tile for the work surface. I was too lazy to call a kitchen counter shop and beg for a small scrap of laminate that would match....

For the drawer itself, I got a scrap of aluminum from work and one of the mechanics welded (tig?) the corners for me. I bought a short piece of clear oak for the drawer front and attached that to the aluminum box.

The finished product works great and fits in the space perfectly. When we take down for travel, the drawer goes on the floor ahead of the wheels.

I have pictures, but can't seem to post them...
Old 08-26-2002, 02:31 PM   #2
oilspot

Default Re: Extra Storage

We had trouble finding a nice wood spice rack that would hold the large spice jars.  Most of ones we found were either ugly or the wrong size.

So with the scraps leftover from making the drawer (remeber I had to buy a piece of clear oak), I made a small spice rack.

Unfortunately, the rack was too big to fit where I wanted to put it.  It was just a hair too wide to fit above the fire extinguisher (screwed to the cabinet leavel with the oven).

I devised a way to hang it from the wall above the stove (where I use most of my spices) by using "keyhole hangers."  Both Lowes & Home Depot carry the keyhole hangers for pictures...

The hangers screw to the wall and then a wood screw on the back of the spice rack fits into the hole and secures the rack to the wall.  The wood screws must protrude enough to lock into the keyhole...  It seems to work okay so far, but we'll see how it holds up.

I have a couple pictures if anyone would like some...
Old 08-27-2002, 01:10 PM   #3
oilspot

I put the pictures on my website if you want to give it a try... Not as good as Happytrails, but it gives you an idea.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-oilspot
Old 09-02-2002, 03:25 PM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

oilspot,

I looked at the pics on your site, great job!! I bought a spice rack at Camping World, but it was a small one, I attached it to the side of the hanging cabinet.  It looks like it will work fine for us.  We ordered the shelf/drawer for the microwave, the dealership gave it to me for a great price so I had to say yes.
How did you attach the mending plate to the wall?  I am still trying to figure a way to mount the shower up high!! I am sure it will involve an over the door hooks, but I will have to think about it a little more.

Lastly, I am so happy that I went with your suggestion for the WDH.  The dealership put on a Easalift rated at trailer weight 10K, tongue weight 1K, and it works great!! I tightened it up one link over what the dealer set it at and my Blazer drives as though there isn't a trailer there at all.  Thanks for the education.

'nuff for now.

Happy Campin' <><

Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 02:10 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The drawer under the microwave looks great! I am sharpening up my saw right now. However, when you put it in place, you lose access to the AC outlets in that location, don't you? Where do you plug in the microwave? I assume you just plug in the microwave first, then slide the new microwave stand into place, leaving a small opening between the stand and the wall for the cord. But we usually have something else plugged into the other outlet (elec heater, camera batt charger, etc). Hate to lose that.

It looks it would be easy to relocate the outlet (or add another) on the panel on the other side of the oven (just below the countertop, above the fire extinguisher). Or possibly install a horizontal outlet in the countertop at the back of the existing silverware drawer - though a horizontal outlet is not as good a solution in locations where there is likely to be liquid spilled.

Thanks for the good ideas.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:35 AM   #6
dennisu

bill

a power bar works well pluged in where the microwave goes, then placing the power bar back on the ledge.  we use one and plug in the microwave and cofee maker etc at this location.  

also, we have a 3023, and i have just discovered extra storage on the floor behind the bottom drawers on the door side of the trailer.   if you take the drawer out it is easy to get to  and while not a lot of storage every bit counts in a trailmanor.  excellent place for can goods or an extra beer hiding spot that nobody knows about!
Old 09-03-2002, 12:35 PM   #7
Happytrails

Oilspot, that drawer looks really great! Good job.....blends in like it's supposed to be there! I'm getting very close to the completion of my repairs and will be heading out on the road soon! Tho it rained most of the weekend here in Va, Monday did offer me some time to really work on it. Only problem was I had to wait for my cordless drill to charge up......duuuhhh so didn't get to start working on it till about 4:30pm......I finished the whole door side repairs however by 6:30pm, and that was stopping in the middle to eat dinner. I'll be updating my web page soon with a couple photos. When I went to jack up the front section to install the front pocket stops, the street side didn't come up quite enough to get that side's in, so with darkness coming on soon, I replaced out all the aluminum on the door side as well as that front pocket stop. (The board I used didn't quite hit dead center when I jacked it up). Anyway, when I get the web page updated, I'll repost the link.......

Happytrails.......
Old 09-03-2002, 12:56 PM   #8
oilspot

I didn't really provide many details about construction, but let me know what questions you have and I'll do my best to answer.  I planned a gap for access to the outlet.  I tried to duplicate the overhang, drawer style, and wood colors, but also ran the overhang around both sides for clearance.  The drawer still ended up pretty big (approx. 13Wx16Dx4H).
I also notched the corner, so the cord could pass between the new cabinet and the trailer wall.  The box fits very tight, so I'm glad I notched it ahead of time.

In the future I'll look for a power strip with a space saver plug.  I estimated the height of the plug slightly less than optimal (so it is a tight fit) making installation difficult.

C.W.B.:  Glad the WDH worked well for you and you are enjoying your new trailer.  Check out the hands free shower thread for more discussion there (towards the end).