TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-23-2002, 01:30 PM   #1
Happytrails

Default Tip on an emergency holdown if a latch breaks.....

A temp fix to hold your TM closed while going down the road if you have a broken latch en route can be best found at Lowes. They carry a 27' racheting holdown strap for about $15.00. This same strap can be found in a 25' length at Wallmart for $25.00. What makes it really good in a pinch is the fact it's plenty long enough, and the hooks fit around *perfectly* to the travel arms of your TM, and it doesn't bind up on the corners since it's a flat strap. A few crankdowns on the ratchet, and voila'! You're all set to finish your trip without a lot of messing with hardware etc. I purchaced one for mine as the front two catches are broken to hold me over till I can fix them, and had about 8-10 feet of extra strap. It all rolls up and doesn't take up much space either. Even after fixing the catches, I plan on taking it with me just in case as it's that small and compact on future trips......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 09-24-2002, 03:06 AM   #2
KB7OUR

Default Re: Tip on an emergency holdown if a latch breaks.

Happytrails,

Have enjoyed reading your posts about your $400 TM overhaul. How close are you to putting her into service?

Wade
Old 09-24-2002, 10:06 AM   #3
Happytrails

Default Re: Tip on an emergency holdown if a latch breaks.

Actually, I'm about }{ close now. All I have left is to fix is a broken grey water line, which is halfway there, probably finish it up tonight. Then friday it gets two new Goodyear Marathons and an inspection.....Heck, it may be camped in this weekend! I've had some setbacks with rain and my accident that haven't allowed me to work on it, but all in all, I've got less than a week of time in it overall, and that's including goof around time! When the walls separated from the ceiling, all the cove came down, and there was a place where the aluminum skin actually peeled back away from the wall. I fixed it by drilling very small holes as close to the ceiling as I could and screwing it down every 4" or so with #14x3/4" screws, then I put up all new woodgrained cove up there at the ceiling......it looks really good! The old cove was white, the new woodgrained cove matches really well. I was going to paint it, but it blends in so well, I just left it the way it is. The cove covers the screws BTW, and I used the same screws to hold the cove up, only put in a screw every couple/three feet or so. I did that this past Saturday, as well as replaced the safety chain, and the emergency brake tether that goes to the tow vehicle. Sunday I finally put the TM back down and got it ready to tow, while at the same time raising the rear end where I could get to the grey water holding tank which was also broken a bit. I mixed up two things of PC-7 epoxy, and using one of my screw jacks to keep it in place, epoxied a new pipe onto it while fixing the big hole that was broken out. All I have left to do to that is connect the rest of the pipe together to it and cement it all in place. But it was nice to see the front section standing just like it's supposed to when I took down the rear section. There are a few minor things I still have to do to get it adjusted right, and the holdown clamps need some screws and tightening, but that's no big deal......at least it's ready to camp in now finally! Now if someone could post a tip on getting my furnace to light, I'd really be in business. The blower comes on, and stays on......but it just doesn't blow any hot air........The manual says it's supposed to shut down if it doesn't light, but it doesn't....just runs and blows cold air. I cannot get parts for it anymore as it was made by a company that's no longer in business, and Donny down at TM said he had to replace his with a suburban, but the exhaust and intake are on the opposite side of the unit, and I'd have to cut new holes in my TM to move it over. Needless to say, that's something I'd really rather not do if it's just a clogged jet or something. Someone in here was talking about the "Buddy Heater" that is safe to use in a camper, I saw one today at a local hardware store for $104.00, but noticed on it that it's only 2,000 - 9,000 BTU's.......is it enough? Is the price right on this heater? I noticed it runs off of those 1lb bottles, as well as the tanks on the front of the TM....that wouldn't be such a bad idea till I could replace my furnace. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know, it'd sure help me out a lot!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]