TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2002, 03:52 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Replacement Refrigerator

Sounds like a great solution, Bill.

Regardless of whether you use the existing battery or a new (spare/aux) battery, and regardless of where you mount it, my only real concern was trying to run too many amps through wires that are too small. As long as you run new wires that are larger than the existing ones, my particular kvetch is answered.

Let us know how it works out. Like many people, I'm sure, I would like to know just how many amps your inverter pulls when the dorm-style refrig is running.

Just as a semi-off-topic note, we dropped down to WalMart a while back and bought a Coleman 40-quart (about 1.3 cu ft) Thermoelectric cooler. It is great! It is lightweight, gets real cold, needs no ice, works either in the car or the TM, almost doubles the available refrig space in the TM (which is advertised at 2.3 cu ft, but ...), and doesn't draw too much current. (I could probably measure it if anybody cares.) The best part? It was $79, INCLUDING the AC adaptor. Last time I checked, these were several hundred dollars, and the RV places (Camping World, etc) are maintaining that tradition. 'Ray Wal Mart!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:06 AM   #12
Wrench

I have a 32 qt cooler and love it. I keep it in the van when traveling, and move it to the TM when camped. Just watch out that it doeesn't drain your battery(s). At 4.2 amps, it'll only take 4 hours or so to draw down your battery. When connected to the TM, it'll take longer, and of course your alternator will keep it charged when you are towing.

I invested in a plug in low voltage cutout that cuts to power out before the battery is drained too much to start your tow vehicle. I got it from MCM Electronics for $9.08 (item# 29-3345 @ http://www.i-mcm.com)

I also just added a weatherproof 12 V outlet under the TM. It was easy to pick up the 12V in the dresser that houses the antenna amp. Now I can keep the cooler next to the entry step and just plug it in there.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:09 AM   #13
Happytrails

Bill,
Do you know what the proper gauge would be for the wire going to the battery? Just curious, but I was going to use as thick a wire as I could get. I am familiar with those coolers, my dad has one we use up front to hold drinks for our customers that come in, it's pretty neat as they don't use any normal kind of cooling system, they use a semiconductor to cool or heat, but they work really well.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 09-11-2002, 02:39 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bill -

In choosing wire size, you have to consider two issues. One is safety - meaning you don't want the wires to overheat and burn up. The other is how much voltage drop you can put up with.

For AC house wiring, #12 wire is rated for 20 amps, #10 wire for 30 amps, and #8 for 40 amps. For all practical purposes, amps is amps, so these ratings are also good for 12 volt DC distribution, FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF SAFETY.

On the other hand, a small voltage drop means a lot more in a low-voltage system than in a higher-voltage system. For example, if you draw enough current to cause a couple volts of drop in your wires, this doesn't mean much in a 120-volt household system (it drops 120 volts to 118 volts), but it means a lot in a 12-volt system (it drops 12 volts to 10 volts). For this reason, I would always go at least one size larger than the household standards suggest - 2 sizes larger if you can manage it.

So choose #8 or #6 wire for a 30 amp circuit - anything heavier gets pretty hard to handle. Note that 30 amps at 12 volts is only 360 watts. This is one of the arguments against inverters, BTW - you have to have very short runs of very heavy wire. Put your inverter near the battery, and get out your conduit bender to form the wire!

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:49 AM   #15
DancinCampers

Good day all,

Just returned from our first out of state trip. Attended the TrailBlazers Appalchian Chapter rally in Cherokee, NC this past weekend. Had a blast.

The inverter setup for the refrigerator worked just fine. On the way out we spent the nite at a Flying J truckstop in Haw River, NC. Running the fridge on battery, light use of the fantastic fan dropped the battery level one light by morning. Battery was recharged by the time we got to Cherokee.

Spent the nite at the same truck stop on the way home, and again the fridge stayed cold, even with a few hours using the heater to take the chill off in the morning.

Once we got to the rally I changed the fridge over to campground power.

The only annoying part (to Sharon), was the inverter would beep everytime it started up.

Take care,
Dan
Old 10-15-2002, 01:32 PM   #16
oilspot

Dan,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you. I was at the rally too...

I looked for anyone that might have been a regular on this page but nobody confessed.

Guessing by your handle, were you the dance instructor on Friday night?
Old 10-18-2002, 07:10 AM   #17
DancinCampers

Oilspot,

Yes, that be me. Sorry we missed hooking up. In retrospect I should have mentioned it at the time. Just slipped by.

We are planning on attending the Jamboree next year. Maybe the netters could come up with some type of ID to wear, or like we do sometimes at our dance events have a special time for all to meet.

Take care,
Dan