TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2004, 02:17 PM   #11
kempert
Site Sponsor

Default Re:WASPS ! !

My grandfather used an old pump sprayer with gas in it on bees. The fumes from the gas would literally knock them out of the air in mid-flight (an amazing sight when you're a kid). Of course, you wouldn't want to do this around any flame or valued vegatation. BTW - that was when gas cost less than .30/gal.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #12
revmrbill

Default Re:WASPS ! !

See my post on the muddobbers you could use the same material for every orifice on the TM that you think wasp might get in, I tried it on the refrigerator panels and the good thing about it is that it breathes
Old 12-25-2004, 07:44 AM   #13
TandemKids

Default Re: WASPS!

I just finished reading all the interesting posts about wasps and dirt daubers. I will throw in my two-cents worth.

I have found only one small yellow-jacket's nest under the front awning of our TM. They are now in y-j heaven if there is such a thing. We are overun with yellow jackets in our area.

We have another insect in central Texas that will deliver a painful bite when provoked, or if one lands in your hair as happened to my wife . That insect is commonly known as the "wheelbug". I don't know the technical name for it, but you can put wheelbug in your search engine and you will get a bunch of hits. They are an ugly beast that ranges in size from 1/4 inch up to an inch and a half in size. Although they are listed as a beneficial insect because they are death to many garden pests, I still experience no heart pangs when I send one of them to stony-lonesome.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had experience with this pre-historic looking creature.

Michael
Old 12-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
mike-rm-cd

Thanks for the info, and all of you be careful. After years of ordinary bee and wasp stings - painful, and large swelling, I got hit by a bald-faced hornet. That one put me in the emergency room with hives and an anaphylactic reaction (difficult to breathe). Now I get to carry a bee-sting kit! My point is that none of us know when the reaction becomes more acute and/or intense. Mike
Old 04-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #15
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I know about mud daubers, but what's a red wasp?

Rather than steel wool (rusts, and reacts with aluminum), I might suggest plastic scrubbies (plastic steel wool). Use scissors to cut off a chunk, and stuff it into the opening. I've used this to deter birds (easy) and squirrels (much tougher) in my camp.

Bill
Great idea!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #16
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Sting Remedy?

Someone whose advice we respect sent us an email telling us about using a penny (taped to the sting site) to remove the pain and swelling from a bee sting. The first time she got stung, her doctor prescribed the standard treatment; afterwards, she tried the copper penny.

We haven't had a chance to try this yet, but she and her niece got stung three times in two days and swear that the penny cure is a valid one!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #17
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Default Sting Remedy?

Virginia, I never heard of the penny, but who knows...

I am mildly alergic and a long time ago my doctor told me "after removing the stinger if there is one, to make a paste out of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer and liberally spread it over the sting." The enzyme in the meat tenderizer breaks down the poison and helps reduce the amount of swelling.

I have had occasion to try this and it seems to work. I made a paste and used a large band aid to keep it over the byte.

Of course YMMV,

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #18
Jody J

When I get stung by an insect I use A baking soda paste.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #19
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I vote for the meat tenderizer. We keep a supply of it in the trailer. We used it on one of our kids a couple of years ago when we were camping. It helped a lot.

We also keep baking soda in there too. If one of us gets stung and the meat tenderizer doesn't work, I'll try the baking soda.

Did you know that if you get into stinging nettles that vinegar helps?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #20
camp2canoe

All good info but a day late and a dollar short - I was stung at least 4 times on the back of my left hand Sunday evening and by Tuesday that hand looked like a football! I visited Prompt Care and was given a cortisone injection (don't ask me where) and today the swelling is down 50%. I bought a house brand wasp spray at Ace Hardware and it worked great - I stood about ten feet from the nest and covered it with a wad of the white foam that killed those suckers dead.

These wasps were extremely agressive - they had a nest on the outside of the rail on our deck and as soon as I rested my hand on the rail it was covered with stinging wasps - fortunately they didn't follow me in to the house. On the other hand, we have mud daubers on our sailboat every year and they are almost like pets - they emerge as we are getting ready to sail and then again when we return to the slip to make certain that we're back in our proper spot. Problem is that the mean ones and the laissez faire mud daubers look a lot alike! - camp2canoe