TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #11
coralcruze

This is the wire that is under the TM that is badly cracked. Then I inspected this it did not seem to have effected the internal wires but I knew then like I know now that this needs replacement. I patched it with heavy duty shrink wrap...

How many feet should I get? 10/3 wire right? I think I am also going to redo the junction box itself as its no longer water proof. Might as well also replace the bargman female plug TM side. I already replaced the bargman receptacle at the towing vehicle so might as well do this too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220416_145331.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	4.74 MB
ID:	20831  
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:58 AM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Unsure about that cracked cable. Bargman or 120-VAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
This is the wire that is under the TM that is badly cracked. Then I inspected this it did not seem to have effected the internal wires but I knew then like I know now that this needs replacement. I patched it with heavy duty shrink wrap...

How many feet should I get? 10/3 wire right? I think I am also going to redo the junction box itself as it's no longer water proof. Might as well also replace the bargman female plug TM side. I already replaced the bargman receptacle at the towing vehicle so might as well do this too.
My TM (2019, 2006, batteries originally "up front") has a "junction box area", underneath the rear of the fridge, which is quite different from your picture: My street side (behind the fridge) is without any of the 2-wire "sort of like lamp cord, but bigger" cables coming into your picture from the left.

The junction box itself, in mine, connects two 3-wire cables for running the Air Conditioner, at 120v. It was put there to provide freedom movement for the cable going up the lift arm, which is separated from the interior TM 120v wiring for that device. Both cables contain #12-AWG conductors. Within the roof, the 120-VAC Air Conditioner cord is, IIRC, 12-AWG Romex. (I didn't re-open it to confirm that while writing this).

But this is confusing: the "up the arm" 120v segment, coming out of the box, would not be tightly clamped to the floor and other cable at the right of your picture, and should not have been zip-tied to those 'lamp-cord-like' two-wire cables which apparently DON'T go up the lift arm.
- - -

If this is the "up-the-arm" 120-VAC cord, there is just one slight risk in replacing this segment: On the corner of the shell, a small box provides connections to the within-the-roof wire segments. could be an issue in replacing the segment as a unit: The solid-wire Romex pigtails, within that box, are extremely short, and could become damaged (broken off) if you are not extremely careful in removing and then re-attaching/tightening the wire nuts.

If that disaster occurs, it becomes a somewhat slow "new" job to push (from the overhead AC end of the Romex) and pull (at the small shell side box) the Romex cable within the shell roof, having also excavated some foam material to provide room for new and longer pigtails at the on-the-roof AC end of the Romex cable.

This would be a suitable cord replacement, althogh you're paying extra for oil resistance. (You could maybe downgrade to an 'SJTW' cord, but I wouldn't do that). Cut off the terminal and create a pigtail, cut to length with another pigtail at the other end. The cord, like TM's original, is good for 20A current. Just the terminals are limited to 15A. https://www.amazon.com/Woods-32472-1.../dp/B01I48XWM2

But, if it's the 120-VAC air conditioner cable, it's unrelated to your "12V" problems.
- - -
The Bargman cable, in my 2006 2619, goes directly into the sealed hole behind the fridge, clamped to the floor tightly all the way - with no portion "hanging loose" until the front A-frame. And the cracked portion in the photo doesn't seem to contain all the conductors which would be present within a bargman cable.

But, if this photo is an abused bargman cable, it could be the cause of other issues (12v) with to-vehicle-controlled lighting, brakes, and/or TBC through that cable.

In either case, the zip tie and weird routing are probably a previous owner's mistake. It doesn't look like factor stuff at all.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:53 PM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post

How many feet should I get? 10/3 wire right? I think I am also going to redo the junction box itself as its no longer water proof. Might as well also replace the bargman female plug TM side. I already replaced the bargman receptacle at the towing vehicle so might as well do this too.
It would be helpful (to us and you) if you would put the year and model of your TM either in your signature line or your profile. That way, you don't have to remember to put it in each post.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:26 PM   #14
coralcruze

UPDATE: problem solved!!! Turned out to be a battery disconnect at the batter box that has failed. Circumventing the battery disconnect the 12v side is working perfectly now.

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice. Since my TM is removely located, i didnt remember that was even on the battery box which is in front and exposed to weather and apparently failed and did not provide power to the TMs 12v side. When checking the fuse at first it was intact because the disconnect went first which i didnt catch at first and thought it was something worse. Anyway, all is working perfectly now. I guess the cart was put befor the horse here but am so glad that it tuened out to be something super simple rather than the other way around.

Thanks again to Wavery, Jagizzi and Rick who posted to help. Rick, your in depth posts are super and really helpful in getting an in depth understanding of the situation. Thanks so much! everyone!
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:15 AM   #15
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

Glad that you found the problem and that it was so easy to fix.

It would be a good idea, given that you have a battery disconnect, to investigate whether or not the brakes have emergency power with the disconnect off. I believe that many people are installing the disconnect in the main battery feed line to the power center and not also installing a direct connection between the battery and the breakaway switch.
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote