TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
Windbreaker

Default Freeze milk?

I need a little information from folks with kids. The icebox in the TM is on the small side and therefore will not hold lots of milk. Is it ok to freeze milk, or will the kids yell, "yuk"?
Old 03-22-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
bonzaibeaver

Default Re:Freeze milk?

Sure you can freeze milk. It does not lose its taste. When it is thawed out - which does take some time - it tastes the same as always. The expiration date will last as long as it would have before being frozen, which means if your milk had one week before its expiration date when frozen, it will have one week until it expires after being thawed.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
Chris_Bauer

Here in Mexico they sell milk in the "tetra" with long storage life. We also have all the other types of fresh milk but I only drink skim. The tetra comes in handy on our trips, it can be put in the cabinet and then refrigerated when needed. I'm sure you guys have access to it, and it is just the same (taste) as in the plastic jug.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

[quote author=bonzaibeaver link=board=17;threadid=1782;start=msg12578#msg1257 8 date=1080001761]
Sure you can freeze milk. It does not lose its taste. ..........
[/quote]

And, moving further OT for us wine lovers, you can freeze partial bottles of wine. When thawed, the wine will be just as good (however you define "good&quot as when it was opened. Especially applicable to reds. I've been doing so for years.

Reminds me of a wonderful '92 Lytton Springs Zinfandel - but I digress...........

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
CC_Turtle

you can also get shelf stable milk.. it is packaged so the milk still stays fresh without refrigeration... i can't tell any difference.. then you can chill a little at a time

teresa
Old 03-23-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
efelker

Windy:

Absolutely -- wife does it all the time. Since it is just the two of us, she buys 3 or 4 quarts of skim milk everytime she goes to the commissary at Andrews AFB (about every week & a half). She hates driving on the interstates here in the DC area, so she freezes the milk so that it keeps longer & she doesn't have to venture out on I-95.

... freezing wine -- now there's an interesting suggestion. It would probably split the cardboard carton of the "connoisseur" stuff I buy.

Ed
Old 03-23-2004, 01:25 PM   #7
Windbreaker

;D Thank you all, you have made my day! Now if I can just remember to get it out of the freezer in the morning before we go. :-\
Old 04-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
arknoah

Actually, I think the consistency of the milk might be a bit different, particularly if ice crystals form in it. Maybe that is only a problem if you freeze it for a long time. The taste is the same, as everyone has said.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:48 PM   #9
Windbreaker

Tried it and it works great. The little bits of ice were a bit hit.

Now that I think about it, as kids we loved "ice milk" kind of like icecream but used milk instead. Just added a little sugar and fruit, shook it up and put it in the freezer. Next day had a great snack.

Thanks everyone.