TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #21
nylesn

Default Hitch

My TV is an F150 Supercrew equipped with brake controller. I just connect and go.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #22
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just as an FYI, my TV is a 2014 F-150 extended cab regular (6 1/2 foot) bed. It needs the WDH. Without it, the rear end drops too much when we put the TM coupler onto onto the hitch ball.

Love that built-in brake controller. And the tow/haul mode is really nice, too.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #23
Padgett
TrailManor Master

A lot has to do with the lever arm (distance from the centerline of the rear axle to the hitch ball).

My TV LA is 38" and it drops an inch. Measured tongue weight is 470 lbs.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #24
usafabronco

Default WD Hitch Compatibility

I just ordered a Reese Strait-Line Weight Distribution Hitch (RP66082) for use with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 with double cab, 6-foot (long) bed, and factory towing package. I'm in the market for a 27ft.+ Trailmanor, with a 2720QB being the most likely candidate. Does anyone else use this hitch, and are there any problems with the mounting brackets interfering with the propane tank mounts or anything else on the trailer tongue? What are your thoughts on using the sway control, especially with light truck tow vehicles? Thanks!
usafabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #25
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafabronco View Post
I just ordered a Reese Strait-Line Weight Distribution Hitch (RP66082) for use with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 with double cab, 6-foot (long) bed, and factory towing package. I'm in the market for a 27ft.+ Trailmanor, with a 2720QB being the most likely candidate. Does anyone else use this hitch, and are there any problems with the mounting brackets interfering with the propane tank mounts or anything else on the trailer tongue? What are your thoughts on using the sway control, especially with light truck tow vehicles? Thanks!
I can't speak specifically for that model WDH, but I doubt anything will interfere because the propane tanks are all mounted well inside the A frame.

As far as the Tacoma, we are also using an 07 Sport except with the short bed and no 4WD. The WDH will help greatly because the Trailmanor models all seem to have an unusually high tongue weight vs. total weight because of the long distance from trailer axle to tongue.

But the plus side to that is I doubt you will have any sway problems at all with most of the weight up front of the trailer axle. I know our Tacoma pulls our 3023 model fine without the least hint of sway, using only the WDH without sway control.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #26
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
A lot has to do with the lever arm (distance from the centerline of the rear axle to the hitch ball).

Ours drops 2 inches but then on the Ram the LA is longer then the GC. Our GC works great to move the TM in the tight quarters of the yard. Although I haven't measured it, the GC doesn't drop as much as the Ram.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #27
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:

That's true. I also note that the huge honking hitch attachment we have (included with the TM purchase) must weigh 30-40 lbs according to my grunt meter. Not counting the two heavy bars. Plus it adds several more inches distance out to the hitch ball. Kind of makes you wonder what tradeoffs are being made. And wonder how close we are to the point that air bags ARE indeed good enough without causing excessive strain on the rear axle.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #28
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have been thinking about a web page with all of the parameters (most of which I considered when choosing my TV). For example you not only want the LA (hitch ball to axle) to be short, you also want the ratio of WB to LA to be at least 3:1.

The problem is that there are a lot of PBIs (partly baked ideas) out there, some of which are good and others that may have a basis in fact, the real meaning has been lost like tire plies.

Point I am trying to make is that you need to consider the entire towing system, end to end and side to side (on a TM everything heavy that is not centered is on the street side even where they had a choice.

Consider my 2720Sl, probably the most common TM of all time. Why is the battery (or batteries in some cases) on the street side ? That is 70 or 140 lbs (2 T-105s or my Grp 29 and Generator) that could be on the curb side with a few feet more wire.

Instead batteries, water tanks (fresh and gray), lav, tub, toilet & fridge is all on the street side & mostly right against the wall. No wonder I have an inch less tire clearance on the street than the curb side.

Which also makes me wonder if most tire failures are on the street side. People talk a lot about failures taking out the dump plumbing and that is street side.

Wonder where I could get a 2500lb strain gauge...
Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #29
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I'm agree with your thought about the weight. But the curb side gets more abuse because there is more road trash, more holes and if i'm going to cut a corner short it's almost always on the curb side. I have had more flats on campers on the curb side. 4 out of 5 campers I have owned, the street side was the heavy side.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #30
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Have been thinking about a web page with all of the parameters (most of which I considered when choosing my TV). For example you not only want the LA (hitch ball to axle) to be short, you also want the ratio of WB to LA to be at least 3:1.

The problem is that there are a lot of PBIs (partly baked ideas) out there, some of which are good and others that may have a basis in fact, the real meaning has been lost like tire plies.

Point I am trying to make is that you need to consider the entire towing system, end to end and side to side (on a TM everything heavy that is not centered is on the street side even where they had a choice.

Consider my 2720Sl, probably the most common TM of all time. Why is the battery (or batteries in some cases) on the street side ? That is 70 or 140 lbs (2 T-105s or my Grp 29 and Generator) that could be on the curb side with a few feet more wire.

Instead batteries, water tanks (fresh and gray), lav, tub, toilet & fridge is all on the street side & mostly right against the wall. No wonder I have an inch less tire clearance on the street than the curb side.

Which also makes me wonder if most tire failures are on the street side. People talk a lot about failures taking out the dump plumbing and that is street side.

Wonder where I could get a 2500lb strain gauge...
I've wondered myself about how much side to side difference I have. For example, you didn't mention, ahem, the difference between the driver and the passenger.

I try to travel with as little as possible for fresh water, gray water, and the toilet, but I usually operate with a full water heater because setup is quicker. The batteries do have a left side bias, but they're only about a foot from the centerline in my trailer.

A visit to the Cat scale is a visit to reality. Just weigh all 3 axles once, and then again with only one side on the scale segments.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote