TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Douph92

Question TM length and garage space question

Are the listed lengths of the TM models bumper to bumper or bumper to tongue? Also, the TM website states that a TM 2619 will fit in a 17 1/2 garage with the swing around tongue. Would a 2720 model be able to fit in my garage if I have about 19 feet 4 inches to give, if I have the swing around tongue?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

TM closed length (first two digits of the TM model number) is from the tip of the tongue to the rear of the rear bumper (when closed). If you add a rear hitch then add on about more inches or so. The swing around tongue reduces the TM lenght by two feet if I recall. Do the math and a TM2720 with swing around tongue should fit in your garage as far as length goes but you may have to back it in in order to have room to swing the hitch around and close the garage door. Watch your overhead door's clearance with the air conditioner. You can usually adjust a door to gain an inch or two more clearance if neeed and some have even taken air out of the tires as a last resort. Good luck Cheers, Dick Coombs
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
PopBeavers

I have a 2005 2720 with rear hitch, swing tongue, 2 inch lift kit and a/c in my garage. I *THINK* my garage length is 19 feet 6 inches. I'll measure the length a little more carefully later today.

I can say that with the lift kit and a/c you better have a full 7 feet of vertical clearance. I have 1/4 inch to spare.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Douph92

I checked my garage. I have 6 ft 9 inches vertical distance to the lip of the garage door.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
PopBeavers

2005 2720 with 2 inch lift kit and roof a/c, you will need 6 feet 10 inch vertical clearance. My driveway slopes a little steeper downhill than the modest slope of the garage floor.

With the rear receiver approximatly one inch from the back wall, and the TM slightly swung to one side, the front of the TM with the tongue swung away is 18 feet 1 inch from the back wall. Be careful measuring the distance to the door. I just noticed that the hinges on the roll up door stick back into the garage by almost an inch.

It appears that you have plenty of depth. The vertical height might be an issue.

Options that I see are:

1. Make sure the roll up door rolls up higher than the door header if it does not do so already. I had to convert from a rigid swing up door to a roll up door.

2. Don't get the a/c. I used mine on one trip last year out of 8 trips.

3. Don't get the lift kit. Without the lift kit I would be dragging the ground while backing into the driveway. The crown of the street rolls down to the gutter and then the driveway slopes up from there.

4. Let air out of the tires when going in/out of garage.

5. Make your own one inch lift kit. The factory sells an after market 2 inch lift kit that bolts in. When the lift kit is installed at the factory it is welded in. The lift kit is basically a length of 2 inch box tubing. I have not done this, but it appears to be possible.

I suggest you get the TM with a/c and no lift kit and then add a little lift if you need it. Maybe you don't need the lift kit at all. If you know you will need a full two inch lift kit then either omit the a/c or plan on letting air out of the tires.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Douph92 -

My garage is 19'6" deep. My 2720SL is exactly 20'0" long, from the way way back edge of the bumper to the way way front edge of the hitch coupler. Clearly, the trailer would not fit without the swing tongue. With the swing tongue, no problem.

So, to answer your original question, a 2720 with swing tongue should fit your 19'4" garage very nicely.

FWIW, I am under the impression that the swing tongue doesn't quite subtract 2' off the length - more like 1'10" or 1'11".

By the way, my garage door opening is 82 1/4" high. My 2006 2720SL with 2" lift and air conditioner clears the top of the door frame by 3" - 4". The air conditioner is a low-profile model. On older TMs, the air conditioner was taller. I know this because my 2002 TM kissed the rubber weather strip, and it did NOT have a lift kit. I talked to the folks at the factory, and was told that they changed to the low profile A/C specifically so that a lift kit could be added without increasing the overall height. Those boys are paying attention!

If you have a new TM without a lift kit, it should be about 77" high, I think. So your 81" garage door opening should be OK. And as Wayne said, you can usually make the door open higher than its normal position. If you have a garage door opener, it has an adjustment to change how far it opens. If not, it may be as simple as opening the door normally, then pushing it open further and propping a 2X4 under it. Of course, the ultimate limit to the height is the header at the top of the opening.

Bill

Oh, by the way - Dick Coombs meant the last two digits of the model number is the closed length. Simple typo.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote