TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
boze man

Default 2005 2720SL questions

Hello all...great site!

I came across a clean '05 2720SL locally and we really like the TM...the only thing is we would probably prefer an SD. Doh! Problem is we have 2 kids who do not want to sleep together. I assume the SD and SL share same specs and the SD is basically 2 couches opposed with a table in middle. Anyone with an SL convert or mod it to become something like a SD? Or any ideas for sleeping in the SL? We would remove the single chair anyways. Would it be easy to remove that front couch? Just brainstormin here folks!

Also I assume the rear bed is not long enough to sleep side/side with heads to rear? I was thinking of removing the wardrobe to give some extra room and openess. Any thoughts?

Also how can I tell if lift installed? I believe this unit has 15" tires but it has the white wheels. Is the lift possible on an '05? Also how large of 15" are people running? We live out west and do a bit of boondocking so we are frequently running on forest service roads etc.

Other thing is storage? We had one of those off road pop ups with the front deck...was great for wood, genset, extra water, bikes etc...anyways to work something similar? ideas? or anyone using the TM similarly to an offroad pup with a front deck?

Thanks again for the help!
Bill
Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
boze man

Ah...one more thing!

I have an 8x8 garage door so I assume height with A/C will be fine but what about width? I thought I saw a spec somewhere that said width 7'7" plus add 5" for awning and clearance lights...does that seem correct? That puts it at 8'?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
ng2951

The easiest solution for the kids sleeping would be to add a airbed. One could sleep on the couch, the other on the floor. That would be cheaper and easier than anything you could do. The pure 2720 with the double and the couch would probably be better.

The way your prospective 2720SL may be the way you want it longterm. Once the kids reach driving age, they want to camp less and less. That has everything to do with biology. At that point having the large living room and couch may be much more appealing.

You and your spouse could sleep the way you intend but either your feet will hang out or you'll need to tuck up your feet ;-}

As far as storage goes, that has never been a TM long suit. A number of people store the gensets on the floor of the TM along with whatever bulky items they have room for. The rest of the oversized stuff has to go on the TV...
Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I'll take a measurement of my garage door to let you know the minimum space required width-wise to get a TM in -- and mine's modified to be narrower, FYI.

As to sleeping, my 4-year olds don't like sleeping in the same bed in the TM, even though they share a bedroom at their request. So, this season I'm going to be experimenting with the possibility of bunk beds (of a sort). In the event that they don't work out (fairly unlikely ) my son is happy to sleep on the floor on an air mattress (therm-a-rest style) and my daughter takes the couch/bed.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
boze man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
I'll take a measurement of my garage door to let you know the minimum space required width-wise to get a TM in -- and mine's modified to be narrower, FYI.

As to sleeping, my 4-year olds don't like sleeping in the same bed in the TM, even though they share a bedroom at their request. So, this season I'm going to be experimenting with the possibility of bunk beds (of a sort). In the event that they don't work out (fairly unlikely ) my son is happy to sleep on the floor on an air mattress (therm-a-rest style) and my daughter takes the couch/bed.
Thanks in advance for the measurement!!! If it doesnt fit will eliminate TM for now and stick with a standard tent pop up.

I was thinking the same about the sort of bunk bed option but not sure if could run a 6' long cot length wise against back wall perpendicular to the couch. Anyone know the exact floor space dimensions of the 2720SL with chair removed and couch in sittin position? I have a feeling it is less than 6'.
Cabelas has this fold up bunk cot would work for the kids...as long as space works? I guess I could just bump it up against the couch?
http://www.cabelas.com/cots-disc-o-b...:referralID=NA
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
boze man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
The easiest solution for the kids sleeping would be to add a airbed. One could sleep on the couch, the other on the floor. That would be cheaper and easier than anything you could do. The pure 2720 with the double and the couch would probably be better.

The way your prospective 2720SL may be the way you want it longterm. Once the kids reach driving age, they want to camp less and less. That has everything to do with biology. At that point having the large living room and couch may be much more appealing.

You and your spouse could sleep the way you intend but either your feet will hang out or you'll need to tuck up your feet ;-}

As far as storage goes, that has never been a TM long suit. A number of people store the gensets on the floor of the TM along with whatever bulky items they have room for. The rest of the oversized stuff has to go on the TV...
Agree with ya bout not modding the layout too much doesnt make sense...

Funny they dont flip the bed so ya dont have to climb over each other...

We do like the large living room but would want to figure a way to make it more dinette like....esp u-shapeish....maybe a folding table and chairs on each end? Any ideas?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
ng2951

Quote:
...Funny they dont flip the bed so ya dont have to climb over each other...
A common complaint but I never seen it stop someone from buying a TM. We had been looking at 3023s and 3124s and the fact that the 3023 did not have the king bed never proved a show stopper. We just lucked out and found a 3326 for what we wanted.
Quote:
...We do like the large living room but would want to figure a way to make it more dinette like....esp u-shapeish....maybe a folding table and chairs on each end? Any ideas?
There are a number of foldup tables available from Camping World, Cabelas, Bass Pro. These rollup tables sell for around $55-$65.

Compact Folding Table

The one that is being sold now (above) is a much improved version of Sassy & I use. Ours does not allow you to make it smaller like the one above does. When we are cowboy matches we can easily seat four at the table with all the goodies on it. Its great, I cannot say enough good thing about it. We use it outside since we are eating or entertaining with the other cowboys at these matches.

With it fully open its 48"x27". Half size (what a great improvement!!!) its 28.5"x27". You can cutout some cardboard and see all of you can sit around the table in the space a 2720SL affords. Its biggest advantage is that when you are done it rolls up into the size of a camp chair (without measuring its 4'x6"x6") that you can carry like a camp chair (light/strong too) and stow either in the couch or the rear storage on your 2720...
Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
boze man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
A common complaint but I never seen it stop someone from buying a TM. We had been looking at 3023s and 3124s and the fact that the 3023 did not have the king bed never proved a show stopper. We just lucked out and found a 3326 for what we wanted.There are a number of foldup tables available from Camping World, Cabelas, Bass Pro. These rollup tables sell for around $55-$65.

Compact Folding Table

The one that is being sold now (above) is a much improved version of Sassy & I use. Ours does not allow you to make it smaller like the one above does. When we are cowboy matches we can easily seat four at the table with all the goodies on it. Its great, I cannot say enough good thing about it. We use it outside since we are eating or entertaining with the other cowboys at these matches.

With it fully open its 48"x27". Half size (what a great improvement!!!) its 28.5"x27". You can cutout some cardboard and see all of you can sit around the table in the space a 2720SL affords. Its biggest advantage is that when you are done it rolls up into the size of a camp chair (without measuring its 4'x6"x6") that you can carry like a camp chair (light/strong too) and stow either in the couch or the rear storage on your 2720...
that table is a definite option...like the sizability...now why didnt i think of that!

the queen bed issue isnt really an issue...just trying to address some potential issues up front so as to not have buyers remorse on the back end. if we went pop-up route would have similar bed setup.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
boze man

Spoke with owner...if/when the weather finally clears we are going to open it outside in the sun.

He also wasnt sure if there was the 15" tires and/or factory lift installed. Is it possible to install the factory lift and 15's after the fact? Any pics of lift installed so i could looksee under the unit?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
ng2951

If you are worried about bears the Starcraft 13rt is not going to offer much in the bear protection category.

One thing you will find out about the TM is that it does offer that openess feeling in a hardside. Most lightweight trailers do not have windows in all directions like TMs do. About the only window you cannot look out of easily is the bathroom window. Most lightweight hardsides have windows on only 2 or 3 walls.

I agree with the other poster that the straight 2720 probably is the right floor plan for you. However, the SL with an airbed ought to work fine. If you leave the couch in bed mode using extra pillows as couch back, you can stow the deflated airbed under the couch (along with other things).

I can see being without the wardrobe. We kind of like ours since it gives us our own little room (with three windows). That is nice when the pardette takes her afternoon nap and she can close the curtains for just her and the dogs. Lady loves to sleep under the TV shelf on the king bed by the bathroom; its her own little cubby.

One huge advantage over the Starcraft will be the bathroom. Sassy & I looked at tent campers first. I took one look at the bathroom and saw that I was going to have to get up at midnight and take the dogs for a walk. That did not appeal to me. That hardside bathroom is very nice. It may be small, but it beats a wetbath any day of the week or an unscheduled midnight walk...