TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
drapersc

Default Weight Distribution Hitch

I'm picking up my 2006 3023 this weekend and had a question about my hitch. The dealer said that a standard Class III hitch on my Nissan Xterra is just fine.....was wondering in anyone has experience with this. Do I need a weight distribution hitch. Worried because my current popup sways so I bought a sway control device for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
drapersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
freein05

You should not need a anti-sway hitch. But you may feel more comfortable pulling it with a WDH. I have a Honda Ridgeline and pulled my 2619 a couple of times without a WDH. I got one and I feel a lot safer towing the TM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
drapersc

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Alvega007

I have towed my 2008 3023 with both my Honda Ridgeline & my GMC Acadia with and without the WDH. I highly recommend using using one. You can tell the difference. Be Safe.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
drapersc

Should I buy the Reese trunion style WDH? thanks for the info
Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by drapersc View Post
Should I buy the Reese trunion style WDH? thanks for the info
Where are you located. I have a "Like New" Eaz-Lift 1000 Lb Weight Distributing Hitch. If you're close, you can have it for $150. I think that I used it twice with my S10 pick-up (it was a must on that vehicle), then I bought the Silverado and didn't need it.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
drapersc

located in Colorado Springs...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You should be aware that weight distribution is not the same thing as sway control, and a device that addresses one will not address the other.

The XTerra has a tow rating of 5000 pounds, which is adequate but not generous. The 106-inch wheelbase is pretty short. In my opinion, you will want a WDH, in order to get some weight back on the front wheels. Without it, and especially with a short wheelbase vehicle, you run the risk of handling problems, especially on tight mountain curves.

Re sway, in general TMs don't do it - they are designed not to do so. But a side effect of that is a relatively heavy hitch weight. As a result, it is possible with the short wheelbase that you will experience a bit of sway. In your place, I wouldn't buy sway control yet - but I would make allowance for its possible need in the future. A trunnion-style hitch that is ready for addition of dual-cam sway control is a good choice.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by drapersc View Post
located in Colorado Springs...
I don't think it's worth the drive...... Shipping would eat up any savings on the price of buying something locally.

I could sell this thing a a heart beat if I list it in craigslist....I thought that I would hold on to it until I find a TM owner that needs one (and is local).
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Where are you located. I have a "Like New" Eaz-Lift 1000 Lb Weight Distributing Hitch. If you're close, you can have it for $150. I think that I used it twice with my S10 pick-up (it was a must on that vehicle), then I bought the Silverado and didn't need it.
Wayne, since you already have a WDH, why aren't you using it on your current truck?? Just curious. A 1/2 ton truck should be able to handle the load just fine, but why not go the extra mile and use that puppy. When I had my TM, the ~500 lb. tongue weight added ~700 lbs. to my rear axle of my F150, and took ~200 lbs. off of my front axle. Plus, the factory hitch was rated at 500 lbs. weight carrying tongue weight, vs. 990 lbs. with a weight distributing tongue weight. So after adding a 2nd battery, and fresh water, I was over the rated weight carrying capacity of my hitch. I don't know how your hitch is rated, but it is possble that you may be over the limit depending on how you load the TM.