TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Philip

Default Cover For Bicycles On Rear of 2720 TM

I recently installed a hitch receiver on the rear of my 2008 2720 TM. I am planning an extended trip out west(3 months) this spring and wondered if anyone has found it necessary to cover the bicycles while they are on the hitch rack to stop road grit and grime from covering the bikes while traveling. Is a cover necessary or do the bikes stay quite clean while on the rear hitch rack of the TM. If anyone has found it a good idea to cover the bikes, how did they make the cover and what material did they use?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

After our first trip with the bikes, we realized that we need to put foam (or something) on the handlebars and pedals on the TM side. Luckily, we hadn't gone far from home.

Something like these is in our future. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-huggies/38546

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
mtnguy

Check out: http://www.adcoprod.com/rear_bike.htm
Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Scott O

Actually, the air flow swirling around back of the TM will cause the bikes to get very dirty. As far as padding goes, try the foam pipe insulation available at any hardware store. It can be cut to any size needed.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Hello,

Thank you for the post for this site. It may be exactly what I want. Did you ever buy one of their covers for your bikes? If so, how well did they work?

Thank you again,

Phil
Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

We just traveled 800 miles with our bikes on the back and they weren't dirty at all . . . damp, because it was seriously raining, but not dirty at all. We were glad we had added the protection for the handlebars and pedal.

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Hello,

Thank you for the post for this site. It may be exactly what I want. Did you ever buy one of their covers for your bikes? If so, how well did they work?

Thank you again,

Phil
No, I don't have these. I carry my bikes on top of my truck bed (see photo), so I don't think they get as dirty as they would hanging on the back of the TM.

Glad the website helped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck%20001[1].jpg
Views:	47
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	4262
Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
We just traveled 800 miles with our bikes on the back and they weren't dirty at all . . . damp, because it was seriously raining, but not dirty at all. We were glad we had added the protection for the handlebars and pedal.

Malinda
Malinda,

Thank you for the help.

I will have my bikes on a hitch rack on the back of the TM. I assume you hold the bikes on the back of the TM in some manner so you need the padding. Bikes on the hitch cannot touch the TM so I assume I will not need any padding.

Happy trails,

Phil
Old 01-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
viking

In MHO a bike cover would be one more thing to worry about. I've carried bikes on my TM for three years and have not had issues with the bikes getting dirty. Now in fairness I have mountain bikes and I get them dirtier on the trail than I have ever gotten on the road.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #10
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

We also have a hitch rack. I think you'll find the bikes are closer to the TM than you expect. I'll take a picture on Monday when we ease on down the road.

Malinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Malinda,

Thank you for the help.

I will have my bikes on a hitch rack on the back of the TM. I assume you hold the bikes on the back of the TM in some manner so you need the padding. Bikes on the hitch cannot touch the TM so I assume I will not need any padding.

Happy trails,

Phil
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]