TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
mmcretusn

Default Need help with roof leak - 2005 2720SL

I'm having problem with a roof leak with water coming in at the top of the window, just to the front of the door. When I pushed in on the molding at the top of the wall where it meets the roof, a little water came out. I suspect the joint where the roof meets the outside wall is the culprit. However it looks like the awning mount is covering the area I need to caulk. Should I remove the awning to clean & recaulk the joint. Is it a big job?

This leak just developed after I had been on the roof resealing the centerline molding that was causing a leak at the front end of the manual vent. I used 2 ft X 4 ft plywood to distribute my weight, but maybe this was not enough to prevent any other leaks.

I checked the window right below where I discovered the leak and although the curtains and valances were wet, it didn't seem like the window was the problem. If anyone can provide a little insight, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Red face Roof leak

I had several leaks on my new 2720SL that manifested themselves on the trip home from the dealer. They are very difficult to locate as the actual spot of the leak and where the water enters the interior of the TM can be some distance apart. I am guessing that a leak in the side to molding seam is not the culprit. I would look for the leak in the top to molding seam. To make it even harder to find, the caulk can appear to be fine but is actually not adhered to the roof but just sitting in place and water is wicking under it. Take a hair dryer on no heat and carefully work your way along the roof molding seam blowing at an angle to the seam. Look for moisture being blown out from under the caulk or the caulk flapping ( vibrating) in an area. That usually means one or both surfaces of the caulk is no longer adhered to the TM. Cut out the caulk 2-3 inches extra on both sides of flaw. Clean with paper towel and alcohol and let dry. If you can see dirt under tha caulk once it is removed, you most likely have the spot. Re-caulk. I used Dow 5200, It is tricky to work with and once cured hard to get off, but if you are careful and prep the surface well you will never have an issue in that spot again. I finally re-caulked the entire roof on my TM and no issues. Remember the leak can be some distance from where it comes out on the window. If you wash the curtains and air dry them before they dry on their own, you should not get water stains. If you can, dry them installed on the window so they don't shrink.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
ng2951

Check the awning. The previous owner of our 3326 had fits locating a leak in the same area. When he recaulked the awning that fix the problem.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
mmcretusn

Default Thanks for the advice

Rumblewed,

close inspection of the caulking at the edge of the roof by the awning showed several gaps where the caulking had seperated slightly from the edge molding. Looks very similar to the gap I had on my centerline molding before I discovered that was the cause of the leak at the manual vent.

Looks like removing the old caulking the whole length of the upper shell on the awning side, cleaning, and re-caulking should probably cure my problem. Thanks again, will let you know if that solved the problem.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
mmcretusn

Default Roof leak fixed

After cleaning out the caulking from the seam on the top right side of the upper shell, cleaning and recaulking, leak seems to have stopped. Checked other side and lower shell, seems to be OK also. The one seam I did did not look as neat as the one on the other side, I suspect this one had been redone at some point after manufacture and before I bought it. Thanks everyone for the advice, makes things like that a whole lot easier especially if I've never done it before. Wonder what will be next?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Rake246

Default Roof Leaks

My 2006 2720SL has a leak on the roof where the manual fan meets the centre seam as well. I have caulked extensively all around the a/c and fans but to no avail. If we could find the soulution to this painful mystery it would be a fantastic thing! Maybe the trick is to remove every piece of caulking and recaulk and pray!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Steppy

Default Re-Caulking

What are you all using for caulk? Silicone?
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote