TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
JOEALAN

Default Sway arms, opening and closing TM

July 21, 2008

Good Day,

I'm starting to have problems closing one side of my TM. Didn't have that problem until my twin grandsons started wrestling on the bed. I don't know if the bouncing up and down my cause the outside arms (sway bars) to go out of alignment. When looking directly at them (Outside the TM) from short distance one of the arms looks like it isn't level straight across.

Can anyone tell me if the castle nuts on the outside arms (sway bars) are suppose to be tight or do they just spin around. All four (both sides) just spin around. I guess the only way you can tighten is to remove bed and hold nut down while someone tightens if from the outside.

Thank you,

Joe
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Joe

They are just guides that fit in the 'track's on the bottom of the bed.
The bars are held in place by the brackets that they swivel in on the main body of the TM. Be sure the brackets haven't come loose from the body.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Only experienced one time when the bed would not slide back in...the washer that rides on the plastic strip had gotten between the plastic strip and the bottom of the bed-pan (for lack of a better word?)...gentle coaxing righted the situation and have not had the problem again.
mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Shandysplace

Default Bed Sway Arms

When putting on our fitted sheets, we went to the far outside corner of the bed to pull the sheet around the mattress corner. This put over 200 pounds on those bolts that ride in the track. This deformed the track and the bed would not slide in. After much trouble we were able to get it back in the track and close the bed. The track was deformed and had to be repaired by the dealer under warranty. While the bed is designed to hold at least 500#, one must be careful not to place all ones weight directly over the bolt in the track. Find it hard to believe that something like this could be caused by your grandchildren playing on the bed.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
JOEALAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
They are just guides that fit in the 'track's on the bottom of the bed.
The bars are held in place by the brackets that they swivel in on the main body of the TM. Be sure the brackets haven't come loose from the body.
Thank you Joe. Glad to here that. Will check brackets out next time I pull my TM out.

Joe
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
JOEALAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmark View Post
Only experienced one time when the bed would not slide back in...the washer that rides on the plastic strip had gotten between the plastic strip and the bottom of the bed-pan (for lack of a better word?)...gentle coaxing righted the situation and have not had the problem again.
mark
Thank you Mark,

I order from factory what I thought was the inside sliding track when opening and closing the bed. Instead they sent me the plastic strips. I did notice the last time I close up that it look like the plastic was a bit cock eye. I will make it a priority to check the next time I open it up.

Thanks a million for you insight

Hope to see you the both of you at the rally in October.

Joe
Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
When putting on our fitted sheets, we went to the far outside corner of the bed to pull the sheet around the mattress corner. This put over 200 pounds on those bolts that ride in the track. This deformed the track and the bed would not slide in. After much trouble we were able to get it back in the track and close the bed. The track was deformed and had to be repaired by the dealer under warranty. While the bed is designed to hold at least 500#, one must be careful not to place all ones weight directly over the bolt in the track. Find it hard to believe that something like this could be caused by your grandchildren playing on the bed.

Sharon and Andy, I have put my 190+ lbs on those back corners and haven't had a problem......don't know what woulda happened to cause y'alls tracks to deform. And I think the beds are rated at over 600 lbs.

A trick I learned from someone on this forum when changing the sheets on the bed: If you leave the beds shoved in (before raising the bathroom and wardrobe, and before lowering the flaps), 1 person can stand on the back bumper (or tongue) and a second person can be inside making the other side of the bed. Of course, this doesn't work well with just making the bed up in the morning while camping, but can be a big plus while changing the sheets at home when raising or lowering the TM.

Chap
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
Shandysplace

Default Thanks Chap

Yes, that's the method we use now to change the sheets--so much easier. And we've not had a problem w/our slides since.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
JOEALAN

Default Pull out slides

August 16, 2008

Sure enough, the nylon stripes on one side of my TM are cockeye. As soon as I try to push the bed in, the nylon roller would slip out of the nylon strip. Next project is to replace.

It would seem that it might be worth while to use some type of spray lubricant on these nylon strips to get them to move in and out more smoothly.