TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
bnbarbe

Default TM with vinyl/silicone roof treatment

I am looking at a used 1999 TM 3124 (need something bigger than my 2619)that had some hail damage on the roof. Current owners said the roof didn't leak after the hail damage but insurance paid to have a vinyl/silicone roof treatment put on to cover the hail dings. Does anybody know if this roof covering was a good idea on a TM roof or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Sounds like something that would be used on a motorhome, trailer, or double- wide with a fixed roof. You're going to have to physically raise and lower both shells on the TrailManor.

How much extra did the vinyl/silicone application add to the weight of each shell? How thick is the stuff, and can you still close and lock the shells? I would think the only way you'd know, is to try opening an closing this TM yourself.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
bnbarbe

Thanks Nick,

I wasn't thinking about the added weight. The TM opens/closes and latches fine. I think I will give this some more thought before I commit. I don't want the added weight to cause any problems with the lift system.

Bill
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The added weight won't cause trouble with the lift system. Nick was referring to the possibilty that you might have needed to tweak the lift system (torsion bars) to make up for the added weight. Apparently the added weight was not very great, since the shells open and close just fine. Remember, people routinely install 100 pounds of solar panels on the roof, and after tweaking the lifts, have no problems.

This sounds to me like a great solution to a hail-ding problem. The roof was dimpled, but didn't leak. Now the vinyl covering has levelled out the dimples, and added a second layer of leak protection.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 AM   #5
bnbarbe

Thanks Bill,

I took the plunge and bought the 3124KB prior to seeing your post but now I feel a lot better (this site is the best). The shells are extremely hard to open compaired to my 2619 and I think it is a combination of issues (extra weight on the roof due to vinyl cover/wooden underlayment, bigger/heavier shells, and/or maybe tortion bars are getting weak with age (little rusted and bent). It looks like not only a thick vinyl/silicone cover but also a 3/16 to 1/4 inch wooden base underneath (assume to protect the cover) plus a new A/C unit on the roof in back. I will tackle one at a time starting with adjusting the lift system. If that doesn't work, I may look at removing the vinyl and underlayment to reduce the weight since I eventally want to put an 80W solar panel up there.

Last but not least I have to find out where the stop adjustment is on the 3124 (front shell overtravels my "aluminum bars" by a good 2-3 inches). I saw a post earlier on this topic so just have to go back and search for it then find out where the stops are locacted. The seller added some aircraft cabling on each side to stop the shell at the correct point but I will be removing this and hopefully be able to get it back in it's original condition.

Thanks for all the advice. I will keep everyone posted on how the roof situation works out. I can't tell you how great it is to have a site like this, plus I can post my 00 2619 for sale in a few weeks.

Thanks again,
Bill
Old 07-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbarbe View Post
Last but not least I have to find out where the stop adjustment is on the 3124 (front shell overtravels my "aluminum bars" by a good 2-3 inches). I saw a post earlier on this topic so just have to go back and search for it then find out where the stops are locacted.

Bill
I think you are referring to the "pocket stops", and that search term might pull the posts up more quickly than just "stop". As I recall, they are buried in the wall somewhere. You can find photos of them, and their placement, in the old repair saga from HappyTrails.

http://members.aol.com/br768

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote