TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default Mini Air Conditioner

I am purchasing an Amcor APC 2000E Portable Air Conditioner 1000 BTU/hr.
It is a small 30 lb ac unit that I will use for very small areas like my desk at work. My question is, if I were to run my TM ac which is 12 years old and side mounted, could I use this to boost the cooling effect or would I blow a fuse?

Cheri
Old 04-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Where does this gadget exhaust the heat? You will have to get it out of the TM somehow.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

If I calculated correctly, the small portable AC only draws 2.2 amps. Not sure how many amps the side-mounted AC draws (but I know it will pop the breaker in our TM if the tiny microwave is on at the same time). You should have two AC circuits in the TM, if you were able to plug the portable AC into the other circuit, I think you'd be OK. If you've already bought the portable AC, I'd just try it and see what happens. If it pops the breaker, just reset it, like the house.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I googled the model and found one site that reports power consumption for the air conditioner as 250 watts, a little over 2 amps. I think there is little chance you'll overload anything.

I'd be curious to know more about what it's doing to disipate heat. My first impression is that it may blow cooled air in one direction but not offer real cooling of the space it's in.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cheri -

*** NO! Don't do it! ***

An air conditioner (any air conditioner) creates more heat than cold. This is a law of physics, and you can't get around it. In a household air conditioner installation, the back end of the unit sits outside, and the heat is vented to the outdoors. The wall mount installation in your TM is the same - the back end sits just inside a vent panel, and the heat is vented outside.

The so-called portable roll-around air conditioners have a hose that vents the heat outside, through a window.

The AMCOR unit is advertised as being ventless. This means that it will vent its heat inside the TM, and since it creates more heat than cold, it will actually warm up the TM. In fact, the advertising says "Keep in mind that while the APC2000E produces chilled air, it is designed as a personal cooler and is not intended to lower the overall temperature in your room."

If you've used it at work, that's great - but it means that the cold air gets blown on you, while the warm air gets shot out into the room (considerably bigger than a TM) and diluted so no one notices.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I went back and read some of the reviews for this product in Amazon. As we suspected, it does not disipate it heat, it only blows a cool breeze at a specific "target".

Bottom line: You are not cooling the space, you've introduced a device that blows cool air while acting as a source of heat for the rest of the room.

You may want to do a search por portable air conditioners. I've tried a portable 9000 BTU portable in our TM with mixed results. A benefit of having a Trailmanor is that you can connect your portable outside of the TM by running an extension cord out under one of the velcro flaps. It can be connected directly to an outside source of power without going through the TMs electric system.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill-n-go View Post
I went back and read some of the reviews for this product in Amazon. As we suspected, it does not disipate it heat, it only blows a cool breeze at a specific "target".

Bottom line: You are not cooling the space, you've introduced a device that blows cool air while acting as a source of heat for the rest of the room.

You may want to do a search por portable air conditioners. I've tried a portable 9000 BTU portable in our TM with mixed results. A benefit of having a Trailmanor is that you can connect your portable outside of the TM by running an extension cord out under one of the velcro flaps. It can be connected directly to an outside source of power without going through the TMs electric system.
I was hoping it would blow a cool breeze at my dogs who would be in close range.

I had a hard time finding a review of this item. I did search amazon to find one to no avail. I'll try again, but I wouldn't mind a link to what you found.

Connecting to the outside source is one of those "duh" things that I didn't think of. Thanks for that tip.

Cheri
Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Cheri -

*** NO! Don't do it! ***

An air conditioner (any air conditioner) creates more heat than cold. This is a law of physics, and you can't get around it. In a household air conditioner installation, the back end of the unit sits outside, and the heat is vented to the outdoors. The wall mount installation in your TM is the same - the back end sits just inside a vent panel, and the heat is vented outside.

The so-called portable roll-around air conditioners have a hose that vents the heat outside, through a window.

The AMCOR unit is advertised as being ventless. This means that it will vent its heat inside the TM, and since it creates more heat than cold, it will actually warm up the TM. In fact, the advertising says "Keep in mind that while the APC2000E produces chilled air, it is designed as a personal cooler and is not intended to lower the overall temperature in your room."

If you've used it at work, that's great - but it means that the cold air gets blown on you, while the warm air gets shot out into the room (considerably bigger than a TM) and diluted so no one notices.

[Edit - and for the purists among us, no, this does not apply to swamp coolers. But a swamp cooler is not an air conditioner. And you don't want a swamp cooler in your TM.]

Bill

TM use was not the primary usage but it would have been nice. so much for that

Cheri
Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If you could rig it up somehow so that there was a cowling or something that you could use to vent the hot air it gives off outside through an open window it might work. That's how the side A/C's work, but TM cut a hole in the side under the street side counter instead of using a window. I don't know what shape the unit is, but maybe you could use some sheetmetal, a plastic bin or something that would enclose the unit, let the cold air out the front, and set up snug against a window to let the heat out the back. I know it wouldn't be attractive, but in the heat of the day, with only the dogs in the trailer, who cares?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
2bcs1jrt

I might just send it back. Thought I had something there. Falls in the "to good to be true" category, I guess

Cheri