TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
rdennis

Default Leaky Roof

Hello,

I'm hoping someone out there can help. I have been experiencing a significant roof leak on the right side of my '07 2720. The leak seems to originate at the seam between the wall and roof, adjacent to the front overhead cabinet, above the right front window and behind where the awning initially attaches to the roof. I've added and replaced caulking along the roof and front where ever there is a joint. But I'm still getting the leak. I found one person with a similar problem after searching this forum. This person didn't provide an update if they fixed the problem. So, I'm open to any and all suggestions and if you experienced a similar leak, how did you fix it?

Thanks!
Rob
Laramie, Wyoming
Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
MidwestDave

Unhappy Leak

Rob, is this the awning side of the TM? Is it on the front shell only?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
MidwestDave

Thumbs up Leak fix

After re-reading your post it looks like the same problem we had this spring.
This is what I did on our 2720 (06). First I took a sharp knife and removed all caulk along the seam where the roof meets the side wall (curved piece). Then I cleaned it good using alcohol. I purchased a caulk by Dyco ,C-10
and applied it along the seam. It is a self-leveling caulk so watch how wide you apply your caulk bead. The caulk will not work on verticle surfaces.
I am very happy with using this caulk because it did the job. No problems since. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
all4camping

Default seam/strip leak

I had a terrible leak on the door side of my 2619 camping in Williamsburg, VA over Christmas. I rained for a couple of days-one day quite hard. When we returned to the camper the curtains were entirely soaked and I was frantic with worry since we had to "camp down" to begin a two day return trip home. On the way home we encountered hail, ice and snow through Va and TN and I watched the TM more carefully than usual. Once I looked back and noticed something flapping from the street/door side corner of the TM! Upon stopping I discovered the 2"trim or strip on that side had completely separated from the camper all the way around the camper almost to the window! We taped with duct(K?) tape and made it home just fine. Then removed the old caulk, cleaned with alcohol, repaired with silicone and added some sheet metal screws. I haven't been in the rain again, so only time will tell if I've been successful.

Dona Jo
TM '06 2619
TV '03 Explorer Sport,v6,2wd,:corkysm60
all4camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
Steverino

Default another possibility...

Rob,

I chased a couple of leaks (long saga, posted on this list quite awhile back...) Anyway, long story short, it turned out that water was coming in from the aluminum L molding that covers the exterior wall/roof joint. Seems obvious, but the kicker is that the water didn't enter anywhere on the roof part of that molding - it migrated UPWARDS on the sidewall part of the aluminum strip. Essentially back up underneath between the aluminum strip and the camper wall. Sealed up that joint and voila! No more leaks. Water has enough surface tension that this is indeed possible. I had sealed everything in sight, but hadn't even considered the trim/sidewall joint because I thought that gravity would prevent any leakage there. Shows how much I know!

Hope this description makes some sense...

Good luck,

Steve