TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
hpycamper

Default Weight Distribution Hitch

Anyone out there with a 3124KS utilizing a weight distribution Hitch????
Don't know if it's necessary but the manual lists the tongue weight at 490lbs.
Looks like it is pretty close to the max. with the normal Class III hitch receiver.

Also, is there room on the Trailer frame to hook up a Weight Dist. Hitch once
you pull out the extended room since there are two pinion arms that go up against the frame when pulled out???? Thanks for any response.

I have pulled it several hundred miles with the standard hitch without any problems but would like to be on the safe side.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default WDH tongue weight

Many Class III hitches rated for 500 lb tongue weight increases to 750 with a WDH.

http://www.etrailer.com/productdetai...rfrom=1995&h=e

You should check this for both the hitch and TV.

Safe towing! Ray
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
Larry_Loo

Default No problems using a WDH with my 3124KS

I've had no problems when towing my 1999 3124KS with a Reese WDH. Even when it's hitched up we can pull out the front slide without hitting any part of the hitch or our pickup truck. When towing your TM with a properly adjusted WDH, all four wheels of your tow vehicle will sit squarely on the roadway. Because of this you'll get optimum steering and braking from your tow vehicle.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
ddnavar

Default WDH helps

I have a 2004 - 3124KS towed with a 2000 4-runner.
I towed the TM about 1000 miles without a WDH and it sagged my rear end -- rectified that with some air shocks, but that was the wrong thing to do. It raises the TV more than it should be and makes it unstable.
I bought a 1000 lb. Equalizer hitch and it made a world of difference in sway, bounce and overall handling. It also took the weight on the rear wheels of the TV and equalized it on the TM and the front wheels. Don't need the air shocks.
The only negative is the equalizer hitch is heavy... but I don't think it will break.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

Default wdh

I tow a 2005 3124KS with a wdh and sway control. The tm tows like a dream and the wdh in no way interfears with pulling out the living room. Happy Camping
2blueranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Ditto our 2003 3124KS and 1,000 lb. wdh. My 1/2 ton Suburban sagged without the WDH, but I could probably have made do. I didn't like the sag, but really didn't like the bouncey-bouncey every time I went over a bump or a RR track or whatever. Some change was obviously needed.

Once I installed the WDH there was never a question as to whether I should have it. No sway bar necessary. Somebody (actaully several guys whose opinion I respect) on this site said to go ahead and get the 1k rather than the 750# bars (for some reason I can't remember) so I did and it has been a perfect fit. Woudn't think of going without it. Only a couple extra minutes to set up, and a great improvement in handling.

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
hpycamper

Thumbs up WDH Reply

Thanks to all those who responded to my Weight Dist. Hitch question.
Believe I will go ahead and order it.....and HAPPY CAMPING from Texas.