TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
moaboy

It is all "relative." What I have seen is that due to a tighter supply/demand ratio TM's hold their value better than most, (but not all) other RV, especially in this price range. This means you still loose a bunch of money due to depreciation, but not as much as other RV brands.
When I bought mine, production was tight on the new, updated version I had, so I did not lose much in depreciation as it was in excellent condition and had little competition if I had chosen to sell it. Of course, that now has changed, and there will apparently be more demand for the new silver models which appear to be quite popular with potential buyers.
Nevertheless, I did not buy mine as an investment. It was purely to be my toy in retirement and I plan to keep it a long time....
Old 09-18-2014, 04:20 AM   #12
johntrob

I think we need some expert advice on the start date for having all metal framing.
I am pretty sure that replacement of the wood framing with metal had started in the mid 90's.
Anyone "Know" for sure?

John
johntrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi John,

Welcome to the TM Forum. Metal framing first introduced in 2003.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Metal framing first introduced in 2003.
Tim -

As has been mentioned before, almost nothing in the world of TM was introduced on model year boundaries. Relying on model year boundaries, as is done in the world of cars, is misleading at best, and I encourage people not to do it. In the current example, my very-early-build 2002 TM had all metal framing. So perhaps "approximately 2003" would be a better phrase.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=15361

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #15
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Bill,

I stand corrected. I had heard back when I was shopping for my TM that it was 2003, but I was misinformed. Thanks for the info.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #16
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Our 1997 has metal framing from where I can see it in the upper shell wall corners. It's a real PITA to try to drill into it to do repairs to the latches, etc. because of the small diameter of the aluminum tubing.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #17
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Does anyone know if the metal framed TMs are [lighter|heavier|the same] weight as the earlier wood framed coaches ?
Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Padgett -

The term "frame" is a bit misleading. My understanding is that the floors are, and always have been, framed with wood. You can see it in one of the factory videos. That's where the weight is. When we talk about reframing, we are referring to the frame along the lower edge of the shells, and up around the perimeter of the shells. In the old days, all this was framed with 1x1 square hardwood sticks. In the early 2000's the hardwood sticks were replaced with 1x1 square aluminum tube. The difference, of course, is that if water gets inside the wall from a roof leak, the hardwood will soak it in and rot. The aluminum doesn't.

I can't imagine that there is much weight difference between a foot of hard wood and a foot of aluminum tube of the same dimernsions, so the overall impact of "reframing" is probably negligible in the grand scheme of things.

I may be wrong in some of the minor details of the above, but you get the picture.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #19
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have found that the key to "holding value" is to "buy right" in the first place. Of course when you tend to keep vehicles you like for decades then it almost becomes meaningless.

That said it is best to decide exactly what you want and then not settle for anything less.

When I bought the Vixen, my ideal was to have an economical RV and being "odd" was part of the equation and I found out two things
1) from an engineering standpoint, a turbo-diesel has a lot going for it.
2) from a TCOE standpoint the extra cost of diesel over 87 PON added to required maintence defeated a lot of it

So when I replaced my previous minivan with a more nimble and capable tow vehicle, a trailer made more sense. Started looking for a Hi-Lo but too heavy and no longer made. Then I found the TrailManor and the collapsible concept resonated with me. Add to the nearly double the living space of the Vixen was a plus.

So after about a month of looking found the TM and bought for a good price. Am now going through making the changes I feel is neccessary (adding outlets, replacing the awning (did not expect but the Fiamma plant is in Orlando), changing 14s for 15s with higher load rating (concern is the load on the single axle design, may replace the axle as well), replacement of external fasteners with stainless, that sort of thing.

Am finding that there have been many improvements in just about everything since the last century.

So suspect once I have a way to get it in the garage, I'll have a keeper (and now that cooler weather is here should move right along.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #20
moaboy

To add to Bill's point take calendar year 2009 as an example. Early in the year TM's had the blueish based paint scheme and a number of items as they had in past years, clear windows, white 14 wheels etc. standard. Much of what I am talking about is cosmetic. I've penned a longer list somewhere on the forum, not sure where.
In the Fall of 2009, debuting at the Hershey Show, TM incorporated many of their upgrades, that had been on their 25 Anniversary Edition model and began to make them standard and or options. New brown based paint scheme, tinted windows, alloy 15 wheels, different interior color schemes/floor options and so on.
Two rather - at least from a cosmetic standpoint -different trailers, but on the registration title they both indicate 2009.
Now, once again the exterior color scheme has been changed and the progression continues, hopefully in a way that attracts even more fans.