TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you let a serious buyer test drive your trailer?
NO WAY!!! 13 34.21%
Probably not 15 39.47%
Maybe (unless they seemed shady) 3 7.89%
Probably (unless they seemed shady) 3 7.89%
ABSOLUTELY!!! (unless they seemed shady) 2 5.26%
With a deposit and copy of their drivers license (unless they seemed shady) 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
bayvillage

Default Do people "test drive" a trailer before purchasing it?

We bought a Tahoe so we can tow a travel trailer, but we've never towed anything before and are a little concerned about how hard it will be.

Trailmanors should be easier than others due to enhanced visibility and reduced air resistance. And we love the fact that we can put one in our garage.

Do people ever test drive a trailer before purchasing it? We're smart, capable, and educated. Just don't want to end up with an expensive item we're not comfortable towing and have no way of knowing if for some reason we'll find it challenging.

In talking to dealers it seems they would let us test drive one if we're serious about buying it, but haven't found a 2720 TM at a dealer. What do private sellers thing about newbie trailer owners and test drives (or the option to return the trailer within 24-hours if we're not comfortable towing?)?

Any ideas to help us feel comfortable with our purchase while not alienating potential sellers would be appreciated!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
MisterP

I can demonstrate a TM safely in my presence, but there are a lot of ways to break them by someone using it without adequate experience, even with the best of intentions.

I would not turn the unit over to a prospective buyer for testing. Who is liable if someone gets hurt? Probably me.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

IMHO, I would not be open to allowing a inexperienced buyer test tow a trailer I was selling. Way too many issues that could arise while towing. Way too much liability. As a motorcycle guy, we see and hear the same request when selling a bike. Some guy comes by to purchase but wants to test it out... never comes back, damages it or just a lookie loo. I'm sorry, an inexperienced buyer is not going to get street practice with my unit. Even with a full cash deposit in hand...

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

"Never say never". I'd need to evaluate the situation. Would probably take for a test drive but not just hand to someone.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

just a thought ,'
Some of the larger rv dealers , and some private people will rent rv's this is a way for you to try-out some different styles and models.
As silly as it sounds , go rent a U-Haul trailer for the day, 60.00 or so for the day, buy the insurance and go practice . back roads , hwy, backing, will help build your confidence.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

With anything new, there is a learning curve. One might not be comfortable at first with something they're unfamiliar with, but if it is something that is desirable, a comfort level can be achieved with exposure.

A simple test drive might not be enough. My suggestion is to go to your local rental yard with your tow vehicle and rent a utility trailer. Drive around with it empty for a while and go to a large open parking lot and try backing it up and parking it. Then take it home and put some weight inside the trailer( maybe a load to the dump), then take it out again and test drive it till you feel comfortable. May take a couple of days. The rental would be a cheap way to see what your comfort level is or isn't.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Initially I thought “not too unreasonable a request.” The more I thought about it the less I liked the idea of letting someone test tow my trailer. Any reasonably competent person should be able to pull a trailer, but with half the population being below average in intelligence I am not sure it would be wise to let just anyone take off with your trailer in tow.

I liked the idea of renting a U-Haul or possibly a travel trailer. Practicing backing and making turns would be a good idea before taking off on your first trip. Towing isn’t rocket science but I am sure there are some people out there that just shouldn’t do it.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Guess that is the reason the insurance for the TM is double what it was for my RV even without any BI/PD/PIP.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Does your vehicle, to be used for the test drive, have a 7-pin Bargman trailer electrical connector, and a brake controller? If so, come on by, and you can test drive my TM. We will do it on a Sunday, and I will choose the route and ride with you. Some turnpike, some city streets (well, we don't really have cities in Maine ...) and some residential streets. No gravel pits.

If your vehicle is not set up for towing, I will let you drive my TM and your tow vehicle around the neighborhood, but no more. Same deal, I will ride shotgun. Lack of brakes and lights is a big deal, so I'm sure you understand.

If you would like to rent a tow vehicle, properly set up for towing, I'm not sure you would learn anything. You would be getting used to the new tow vehicle more than getting used to the trailer.

With a Tahoe, towing will be effortless. The new Tahoes, at any rate, are rated to tow 8000 pounds or so. A loaded TM will weigh about half that, so it will be almost transparent to you.

For now, don't worry about backing. That is a learned skill, and not as hard as it sounds. And it is separate from the question "Is it easy to tow?"

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

Generous offer

Tags
difficulty of towing, test drive