TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Beak12

Default Gps

Anyone travel with a GPS? If so which one and if you had to get a newer one would it be the same brand? We have a Magellan Roadmate but it is over 5 year old and when I checked for up-grades they only have up-grades up to about 2 years ago. However they would be happy to sell me a new one that is up to date. LOL
Old 05-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
MisterP

I have used Garmin products for many years with only occasional misdirections .

I recently bought a Tom Tom with traffic alerts from a Woot.com deal. I have been impressed so far. I think info retrieval may be a bit easier than with Garmin.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wahlsten View Post
Anyone travel with a GPS? If so which one and if you had to get a newer one would it be the same brand? We have a Magellan Roadmate but it is over 5 year old and when I checked for up-grades they only have up-grades up to about 2 years ago. However they would be happy to sell me a new one that is up to date. LOL
It depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're going to be traveling cross-country, you may want to consider getting a GPS that has live traffic capability. It's a bit pricey and you will have to pay a monthly charge for internet access but it could be worth it to some.

It would be worth it to me because I hate getting into new cities and stuck in traffic just because I don't know alternative routes.

Having said all that, I would just get a mobile device like an iPod, iPad ($500) or something that has built-in GPS and live traffic already incorporated. It will give you a thousand other capabilities (like full internet access) that you won't get with a GPS system.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I have the Garmin 60CSx. It works better than many others do when you are in a dense redwood forest. It also will acquire 4 satellites faster than some other models I have tried. It even works better than my friends does in the office (aluminum skin and glass over steel).

I use it when backpacking as well as camping. We even take it when motelling so we can find local restaurants and gas stations.

It does not talk to me. I have to look at it.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
Bob&Karen

We have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and purchased the "Lifetime Updates" for it. It hasn't steered us wrong yet...

Regards,

Bob
Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
rumbleweed

I have several and they are a great way to travel. One suggestion . Make sure the one you get has the ability to plan routes on your home computer and download to the GPS. Most any GPS will get you from here to there, but not necessarily by the route you want to take. If you are traveling with stops to see places of interest, it is nice to plan your trip at home then load it into the GPS. Traffic alerts are great, but that function usually only works in major areas not in remote areas.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

TomTom is cheap, has a very simple user interface, and allows you to input corrections to the maps, all good things. I have an older, fancier Garmin but for the money the TomTom is better.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
mtnguy

We have the Tom Tom 130. You can catch those puppies on sale for about $80. Like Bill said, they are good basic units and easy to program.